Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,295,330 times

Advertisements

Why is everybody complaining to much about the GOP and hating on Christians here? You people do realize that a majority of Americans believe in a higher power. Why haven't you taken into consideration the fact that McCain, as a GOP candidate, DID NOT run on religious issues? Of course he lost, but McCain was not Huckabee. Obama's win was a referendum against Bush and his economic policy, not a referendum against religion as people here like to say.

Not everybody supports abortion on demand for anyone, anytime, anyplace like Obama does, and the two candidates were nearly identical on gay rights (supporting civil unions, against marriage) except for Obama supporting unneeded, unconstitutional thought crime legislation. Social conservatives do exist, and there is nothing wrong with them expressing their political views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,244,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Humanity hasn't come very far has it? It's so sad to me to see so many people just being sheep. I even felt this way as a child when I hurled the crucifex across the room and shouted to my mother,"this is YOUR god, not mine" I have never been able to understand WHY people will just blindly follow without questioning or doing their own research.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:21 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,603,079 times
The real issue that the GOP doesn't seem to want to recognize is the fact that there are many conservative people that are not religious whatsoever. In fact, many of these conservatives are atheists and agnostics. I truly believe as time goes on science makes every generation a little less religious. I also believe it will not be long before the vast majority of U.S. citizens find creationism and the idea that the earth is 6000 years old to be laughable. Let's be honest, many already do. If the GOP can separate societal mores from religion, it will have a strong chance of coming back. Just because one doesn't believe in miracles and the man in the sky does not mean one does not believe in strong moral character and family values.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM

917 posts, read 2,303,250 times
Amazing picture Lakewooder!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
The real issue that the GOP doesn't seem to want to recognize is the fact that there are many conservative people that are not religious whatsoever. In fact, many of these conservatives are atheists and agnostics. I truly believe as time goes on science makes every generation a little less religious. I also believe it will not be long before the vast majority of U.S. citizens find creationism and the idea that the earth is 6000 years old to be laughable. Let's be honest, many already do. If the GOP can separate societal mores from religion, it will have a strong chance of coming back. Just because one doesn't believe in miracles and the man in the sky does not mean one does not believe in strong moral character and family values.
Obama invoked the name of God a lot more than McCain, and McCain didn't run on getting creationism taught in public schools. That was Huckabee, who didn't get a very large portion of the vote in the primaries.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM

998 posts, read 1,517,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dump the religious right. Thank god. About time.

They'll still vote Republican, though. No need to pander to them and besmirch your reputation - most of the values will still line up close enough for them to still support the GOP. I don't know why we ever did let the religious right take over so much policy making in the first place. Made us look ridiculous.
This is what I never understood.

Why waste resources pandering to people whose votes you are all but guaranteed?

Old 11-19-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
This is what I never understood.

Why waste resources pandering to people whose votes you are all but guaranteed?
If Republicans ever nominate run on a pro-choice platform, you can count on a conservative Christian third party. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

Its hard to believe the total contempt you "open minded" liberals have towards the religious and the unborn. You are only "open minded" toward people who think like you.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:35 PM

998 posts, read 1,517,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If Republicans ever nominate run on a pro-choice platform, you can count on a conservative Christian third party. Lets hope that doesn't happen.

Its hard to believe the total contempt you "open minded" liberals have towards the religious and the unborn. You are only "open minded" toward people who think like you.
What I find hard to believe, is how people like you are so frightened of others that you compartmentalize them. Makes it easier to target who you despise, I suppose. Just more Intellectual laziness.

It's how many on the right approach foreign policy too.

No wonder your side in in a shambles.

Hehe, remember those "No Fear" stickers, hats, t-shirts, etc.? Most of the people I know who bought that stuff are conservatives.

How ironic.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,603,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Obama invoked the name of God a lot more than McCain, and McCain didn't run on getting creationism taught in public schools. That was Huckabee, who didn't get a very large portion of the vote in the primaries.
But the thing about Obama is you get the impression he will respect difference of opinion. McCain is weighted down by the Republican name, which is inherently tied down by the religious right.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,299,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Its confusing to me also. Both my cousins graduated from Florida University . One is a F 28 the other M 26.
Both voted for Obama but against gay marriage. They prefer Dem party but 100% against gay marriage and not pro choice and never will be.

The new immigrants coming in legally and illegally make them look liberal when it comes to seperation of church and state.
The day Hispanics are the largest vote that makes or breaks Dem party or largest number of politicians ourselves in the party.

Its going to be a Christian Conservative party.
No, it won't be a Christian Conservative party. What you said holds true primarily for first-generation immigrants. Second and third generation immigrants are more assimilated into American culture. On another note: I think it's sad that so many Latinos, who have experienced marginalization and discrimination themselves, are so willing to marginalize and discriminate against others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections