Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,214,720 times

Advertisements

Truthfully, it's not Obama's recession any more then it was Bush's recession in 2000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Truthfully, it's not Obama's recession any more then it was Bush's recession in 2000.
Great thinkers seldom travel in packs

Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
You have it backwards. The Mid-October 'bear market rally' happened in direct correlation (or at the same time as) a jump in the polls for McCain. I remember this clearly. Whether or not Joe the Plumber was the reason for this is speculation, but I think his fervor played a part.
You are remembering it wrong.
There were a number of jumps in mid-October - followed by immediate drops.

The largest of these jumps began on Oct 10th and peaked on Oct 13th - during which time McCain went up 1/10th of a point and Obama went up 1/2 of point.

The next jump began on Oct 15h, went up a bit, then down, then back up again to peak on the 20th before going into a sharp drop. During that time McCain went from 42.5 to 44 and Obama went from 49.8 to 49.8 again with a 1 point dip in between.

NONE of these changes are the slightest bit significant and certainly none them reflect any kind of lead for McCain - who was down an average of 6-8 points during this entire time.

Take a look for yourself:

Sliding DOW Chart:
Dow Jones Industrial Average ($DJI) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money

Sliding Poll Chart:
RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - General Election: McCain vs. Obama

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 11-24-2008 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-24-2008, 01:10 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Cool Hannity: "Obama's Recession"

It's obvious that Han-nutty wants to be Rush Limbaugh when he grows up. But he never will be. He lacks Limbaugh's honesty, integrity, courage, and intellect.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:44 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
You obviously can't remember very far back. "JTP" was the ONLY thing on the news for two weeks during mid October!

The same mid-October when McCain had a jump in the polls and the stock market rallied back half of its losses from the first week. I wouldn't expect you to remember all that, but you should at least know that "JTP" was a media sensation for 2 weeks in October. There were 100 reporters outside his small home in Ohio.

(1+1 = 2) (((He must have had something to do with McCain's jump in the polls)))
The market in October was not influenced by JTP or McCain. The huge jump came in the middle of the month after two weeks of sliding and scrambling about a "bailout." European banks came in on one of those weekends and agreed to contribute a gigantic supply of money. Bush announced that the banks were going to become liquid again, and that was when the big jump came - many thought the worst was now over. That rally lasted about two days.

On Wall Street I dont think they even had time to learn who Joe the Plumber was - and if they did, they promptly saw right through him as the hand-puppet he was.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:05 PM

234 posts, read 294,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
is he not entitled to pursue making a decent living? just because you disagree with something, does that make it hate? I disagree with just about everything hannity says, but he comes off as a pretty nice guy who donates lots of money to charity.
Jmarquise,
If I offer you a TV show and $30 Mill. a year to start defending Obama and put out there ANYTHING I tell you to say about the republicans. Even if same of it is outrages lies. Will you do it?
Let’s see if you can answer this honestly.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,766,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The market in October was not influenced by JTP or McCain. The huge jump came in the middle of the month after two weeks of sliding and scrambling about a "bailout." European banks came in on one of those weekends and agreed to contribute a gigantic supply of money. Bush announced that the banks were going to become liquid again, and that was when the big jump came - many thought the worst was now over. That rally lasted about two days.

On Wall Street I dont think they even had time to learn who Joe the Plumber was - and if they did, they promptly saw right through him as the hand-puppet he was.

If Obama is such a savior, why have the markets plunged another 20% since his election. (The people with money must be scared) I thought Bush was so evil and screwed things up so much that the mere election of Obama would save the world!

On the other thing:
I'm simply pointing out that McCain's surge in the polls happened right before a week long rally in October's deep plunge, that's a fact (can't be disputed). Was McCain's surge the reason? Who knows. All we can say is that the timing of both events coincides with the above theory.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:10 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,854,688 times
I am not sure that hannity really lied about anything. more like he blew things out of proportion. he got outraged by ridiculous things. if you offered me $30 million to go on the radio and have an opinion, I would take it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Shrubs View Post
Jmarquise,
If I offer you a TV show and $30 Mill. a year to start defending Obama and put out there ANYTHING I tell you to say about the republicans. Even if same of it is outrages lies. Will you do it?
Let’s see if you can answer this honestly.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I'm simply pointing out that McCain's surge in the polls happened right before a week long rally in October's deep plunge, that's a fact (can't be disputed). Was McCain's surge the reason? Who knows. All we can say is that the timing of both events coincides with the above theory.
Sure it can be disputed. I just did it a few posts above yours - and provided links SHOWING both the polls AND the market history at the time. There was NO major bump in the polls for McCain - period.

Ken

Old 11-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If Obama is such a savior, why have the markets plunged another 20% since his election.
I got new for you. There are PLENTY of other things going on besides Obama's election. The economic news since then has been almost unrelentingly BAD. THAT"S what created the market plunge.
Just look at what the headlines have been, with one major company after another reporting that they are in trouble.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections