Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times

Advertisements

How do you get your name off these campaign calling lists????
I have been called about 7 times today by the Obama campaign, had 2 people at my door and 1 Sunday as well as about 5 other phone calls over the weekend. Politely asked not to be phoned again (2 sleeping toddlers people!) and that my vote was decided. The Clinton side called twice last week at some point. I was waiting for more calls but maybe she ran out of money.
Not trying to pick on one side here, but seriously, I'm on the do not call list.

Next time I would really like to be left alone. Matter of fact, I'd like to fix this problem before November cause I'll have an infant in the house too and I can't (and shouldn't have to) turn off the ringer. Any suggestions much appreciated!

People in other states - did you get called this much leading up to the primary? Just curious!

For now, COME ON 8 PM LOL! If this phone rings again I might put on my chatty 4 year old hehe...

Last edited by winnie; 04-22-2008 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,449 times
Most of the calls are automated recordings. Let the machine get it, then hang up on it. It won't call back. You can re-register on Do Not Call, but I'm not sure it will do much good, I'm on the list, and still get the friggen calls. Most annoying. However the door to door canvassers are the worst. After the one tried to shove Obama down my throat, I actually thought it would better to have entire congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses at my door!

Old 04-22-2008, 05:34 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,090,455 times
That is just what happens in campaigns. I had to suffer through various recorded calls awaiting me upon my return home, one evening I came home to seven messages two from mayor Daley (not necessarily someone you want to hear on your answering machine )telling me who to vote for,and visits from pollsters and people carting lawn-signs canvassing the streets every election cycle I've lived through. However, I got ride of the sign people by telling them that I didn't own the building and my landlord hates politicians and has two large German Sheppard's, they never came back

Eventually they go away.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,221 times
I haven't gotten the lawn sign people yet..goodie sounds like fun!
The 2 saps that came for a visit this weekend got right out of their car and approached the DH with 3 fully grown rotties in the back yard.

Escaped the night with only 2 more calls...Mr Obama was asking me to please knock on the neighbors' doors and make sure they voted. Wish I could have taped a repsonse to that one. "Mr. Obama I live in small town PA and my nearest neighbors are bear, deer and a few woodpeckers...and by virtue of them living on my land they are all Hillary supporters!"

For some reason when I lived in MA and NM I never got any of these phone calls or visitors..but was a registered Dem.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 AM

11 posts, read 31,213 times
there are websites that collect phone numbers used by telemarketers, political parties, scam artists and the like. the urls are http://800notes.com (broken link) and http://whocallsme.com/ (broken link) You can check the number that calls you there. The info is supplied by users and it iften has opt-out instructions.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:22 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,219,451 times
The "Do Not Call" lists specifically exclude politicians from any liability for calling people on the list. For most telemarketers there is a fine provided for violations if you are registered and they call anyway. I found that out when I sold real estate a few years back.

If you don't want the calls, the law will have to be changed. Fat chance, but good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections