Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,945,950 times

Advertisements

Looks like Obama may be changing his mind on many things now that he is President and sees the bigger picture. I must say after watching the interview and reading the transcripts he is sounding more and more like a moderate Republican or Democrat, take your pick. If you read the entire transcript he obviously has changed his mind about many things but the Cheney remark is priceless. BTW the campaign rhetoric Cheney was referring to was the Obama campaign rhetoric. Like I said, truly priceless.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Vice President Cheney has been giving a series of exit interviews and he told Mark Nolan(ph) of CBS that the Bush counterterrorism policies have definitely made the United States safer. And he added this piece of advice for you.
(BEGIN AUDIO CLIP)
DICK CHENEY: Before you start to implement your campaign rhetoric you need to sit down and find out precisely what it is we did and how we did it. Because it is going to be vital to keeping the nation safe and secure in the years ahead and it would be a tragedy if they threw over those policies simply because they've campaigned against them.
(END OF AUDIO CLIP)
STEPHANOPOULOS: Are you going to take it?
OBAMA: I think that was pretty good advice, which is I should know what's going on before we make judgments and that we shouldn't be making judgments on the basis of incomplete information or campaign rhetoric. So, I've got no quibble with that particular quote. I think if Vice President Cheney were here he and I would have some significant disagreements on some things that we know happened.

ABC News: 'This Week' Transcript: Barack Obama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:30 PM

404 posts, read 562,405 times
Suckers........ Looks like the Left, is left behind

Old 01-12-2009, 06:04 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,230,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Looks like Obama may be changing his mind on many things now that he is President and sees the bigger picture. I must say after watching the interview and reading the transcripts he is sounding more and more like a moderate Republican or Democrat, take your pick. If you read the entire transcript he obviously has changed his mind about many things but the Cheney remark is priceless. BTW the campaign rhetoric Cheney was referring to was the Obama campaign rhetoric. Like I said, truly priceless.
Ignorance or arrogance? Or a mix of the two? Obama has always been a centrist. We leftists supported Edwards, Kucinich, or Gravel before switching to Obama when those three dropped out. You righties can make yourselves feel good by imagining that others are as disappointed as you were by Bush, but it just isn't so.

No leftists have been fooled in the making of this President.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:07 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,398,958 times
He's looking to be EXACTLY as I expected him to be - a centrist pragmatist.

I think he's going to be a great President - as he will NEED to be considering the size of the mess he's been left with - and while I'm not sure that he'll be able to deal with all of the issues he's facing, I have to say that I can't think of single person I'd rather see in charge.

I'm a HAPPY camper.

Ken

Old 01-12-2009, 06:08 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,149,107 times
I know leftist and the far left has never been in love with the Democratic Party. The far left, not this imaginary left that the right erroneously refers to, has been left behind for about 60 years.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 PM

102 posts, read 158,119 times
Default Give him the academy award

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Ignorance or arrogance? Or a mix of the two? Obama has always been a centrist. We leftists supported Edwards, Kucinich, or Gravel before switching to Obama when those three dropped out. You righties can make yourselves feel good by imagining that others are as disappointed as you were by Bush, but it just isn't so.

No leftists have been fooled in the making of this President.
Well...if you truly believe old barry is a centrist, then I think those upstanding Hollywood role models the left is so fond of need to give him an honorary academy award for best actor. Simply put, the making of this "president," as you call him, can be directly attributed to the leftist media and the rest of his PR team.

By the way...I've got some beachfront property for sale in Arizona if you're interested.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,230,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyGrace View Post
Well...if you truly believe old barry is a centrist, then I think those upstanding Hollywood role models the left is so fond of need to give him an honorary academy award for best actor. Simply put, the making of this "president," as you call him, can be directly attributed to the leftist media and the rest of his PR team.

By the way...I've got some beachfront property for sale in Arizona if you're interested.
The media is not leftist. And I wish you'd mentioned that property before you bought it ... we here at CD could have warned you.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:49 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,013,793 times
He's letting the establishment and Washington insiders know he's one of them. Nobody but the elite in this country will gain from that. So whether you're a Democrat or a Republican, a liberal or a conservative, it doesn't matter. The middle class and the poor will lose out.

It sounds like it's more important to him that he doesnt create any animosity among the elite more than than applying the rule of law and providing simple justice. That's really why this country is going down hill. When core values like the rule of law are not respected. We are screwed.

Speaking as someone the right would describe as "far left"....Obama hovered around my 5th or 6th choice. He doesnt lead on progressive issues. He's got a huge unknown factor....and as you can see hear he's more than happy to praise the war criminal, and thug Cheney.

Last edited by padcrasher; 01-12-2009 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 06:55 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,011,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Far Left Dead Under Obama Presidency?
Dead? That seems a little extreme. IMO, the far left isn't dead. But they may not be catered to in the way they imagined. Those who did not bother to actually research Obama and instead listened to rumors about how leftist he would be are bound to be disappointed.

IMO, some people may be initially disappointed, but once they accept he isn't exactly the candidate they fantasized him to be, they'll probably also decide he's still a lot better than McCain would have been. And, the good news is next election some of these people will have learned to be a little bit realistic about politics and to thoroughly research a candidate instead of listening to rumors.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,011,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I know leftist and the far left has never been in love with the Democratic Party. The far left, not this imaginary left that the right erroneously refers to, has been left behind for about 60 years.
Exactly. It was the right that started all these rumors about how "far left" Obama would be. Ironically, they started these rumors to scare people. But some of the people who listened to these rumors found them attractive and as a result, rumors started by the GOP actually made some people vote for Obama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections