Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 PM

409 posts, read 1,236,922 times

Advertisements

No my way is not the only way - don't make me laugh.

But traditionally wedding ceremonies include the words "forsaking all others" and "till death do us part" - in my religion, that is.

I hear though in some religions all you have to do is drink out of the same cup and you are married. But anywhere that marriage means one woman and one man it is known that you should not be tending another garden once married - saying those exact words is not needed.

Now if Slick Willie were a Mormon we wouldn't be having this conversation. He could have just added Monica to his list of wives. Yech - I just thought of that - being married to Hillary AND Monica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyandMarried View Post
No my way is not the only way - don't make me laugh.

But traditionally wedding ceremonies include the words "forsaking all others" and "till death do us part" - in my religion, that is.

I hear though in some religions all you have to do is drink out of the same cup and you are married. But anywhere that marriage means one woman and one man it is known that you should not be tending another garden once married - saying those exact words is not needed.
And some sanction multiple partners, are you going to tell us you know for sure what's right? And religions were founded by man, and here's a shocker, there are men who will lie, cheat, and steal to get ahead. Relgions are not immune to these men

Quote:
Now if Slick Willie were a Mormon we wouldn't be having this conversation. He could have just added Monica to his list of wives. Yech - I just thought of that - being married to Hillary AND Monica.
Who are you to judge? We elect a man to be president, if he does that job well and according to the Constitution I don't really care if he prowls the Rose Garden naked and howls at the moon.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And some sanction multiple partners, are you going to tell us you know for sure what's right?
I pretty sure that Bill Clinton was married in a church that believed in one partner for life.

I'm not telling anyone I know what's right - but I am telling you (over and over it seems while you try your best to deflect the issue at hand to something you feel you can defend) that I believe a lie and sin before God is a greater evil than a lie. Period.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I pretty sure that Bill Clinton was married in a church that believed in one partner for life.

I'm not telling anyone I know what's right - but I am telling you (over and over it seems while you try your best to deflect the issue at hand to something you feel you can defend) that I believe a lie and sin before God is a greater evil than a lie. Period.

Pretty sure? As in I'm pretty sure Saddam has WMDs so let's go to war? Pretty sure IS NOT SURE!

I DO NOT try to deflect the issue, it IS NOT an issue to me. We elect a man to be president, I have a right to expect him to perform the job well and to question him if he doesn't. I don't believe I have any right to question his life outside his duties as president.

BTW, can you point to exactly where the Constitution lists adherence to marriage vows as a presidential duty? I've looked and can't find it.

Last edited by burdell; 03-09-2007 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Pretty sure is speculation.

And why mention only ol' Willie?

Do you really think he was the first president to commit adultery?

Do you really think he was the first president to commit adultery in the White House?

Do you really think (as a president and not as a spouse ) that adultery is more serious than taking a nation to war for at best dubious reasons and at worst manipulated intelligence?

Old 03-09-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Do you really think (as a president and not as a spouse ) that adultery is more serious than taking a nation to war for at best dubious reasons and at worst manipulated intelligence?
That's a tough one. Let's see - dubious reasons and/or manipulated intelligence vs lie and sin before God. Gee I don't know about that one. I'll have to ask my priest what he thinks. Or maybe my kids Sunday school teacher. Or maybe just my kids. Or their friends. Or my neighbor .......

And the issue on this thread is Mr. Obama and his 17 parking tickets that he majicaly forgot about - until he decided to run for office. I will no longer discuss and other topic. If you want, start a Bill Clinton's lies vs George Bush's lies thread and I'll meet you there.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
That's a tough one. Let's see - dubious reasons and/or manipulated intelligence vs lie and sin before God. Gee I don't know about that one. I'll have to ask my priest what he thinks. Or maybe my kids Sunday school teacher. Or maybe just my kids. Or their friends. Or my neighbor .......

And the issue on this thread is Mr. Obama and his 17 parking tickets that he majicaly forgot about - until he decided to run for office. I will no longer discuss and other topic. If you want, start a Bill Clinton's lies vs George Bush's lies thread and I'll meet you there.

Why bother? The US is a secular nation and you insist on trying to judge things by religious standards. Sin is a religious term, NOT a legal term.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Why bother? The US is a secular nation and you insist on trying to judge things by religious standards. Sin is a religious term, NOT a legal term.
Yes, your right again. You know what threw me? The 'swearing on a bible to tell the truth in court' thing, the 'swearing in of elected officials while their hand is on a bible' thing (or, in one case, a Koran), the fact that our money says 'in God we trust' ......

Your right - as a nation we don't seem to place much weight in the belief of a 'higher power'.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, your right again. You know what threw me? The 'swearing on a bible to tell the truth in court' thing, the 'swearing in of elected officials while their hand is on a bible' thing (or, in one case, a Koran), the fact that our money says 'in God we trust' ......

Your right - as a nation we don't seem to place much weight in the belief of a 'higher power'.

And what of the Congressman who took an oath on the Koran?

Will you tell us he was wrong?

Or if someone chooses to take on a oath on the Talmud?

There have been over 5000 names for God documented throughout history, just which one does 'In God We Trust' refer to?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 AM

431 posts, read 393,652 times
Quote:

Of course the majority of our nation believes in a higher power - you're totally correct. But burdell would argue with a fence post if he / she thought the post would listen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections