Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
Maybe Emmy, like so many in this country, appreciates the fact that there hasn't been an attack on the U.S. since 9/11. Maybe she appreciates the fact that George Bush has taken steps to identify, locate, and destroy people who want to harm this country and our citizens. Maybe she sees the fact that the Bush administration has committed no crimes, nor has it violated the Constitution.

And maybe she sees that Barack Obama attended a racist anti-American church for 20 years and never noticed the hate, until he was campaigning for the Presidency. Maybe she sees that Barack Obama's political career began at a dinner party of a domestic terrorist, and thinks that rational people wouldn't have friends that say they hate this country and want to kill innocent civilians.

Perhaps she sees the introduction of Clinton faithful into the White House as something other than "change," and views it as "more of the same." Maybe when the President-elect appealed to those who "question[ed] the power of our democracy," she asked herself "why would anyone question the power of our democracy?" Furthermore, why would anyone doubt that anything is possible in this country?

The Bush administration, despite its recent failures in dealing with the economic crisis and the President's willingness to help the Democrats seize more power, has done a lot to protect and move this country forward. I only hope that the incoming president can be half as successful. But I have very low expectations for someone who has no executive experience and has shown no willingness to work with political opponents to find a solution to problems.

Four years from now, with the economy still struggling to recover, Obama will run on a platform of "We couldn't before, but now we really can!" and continue to blame his failures on the Bush administration.

Were you even awake during the past 8 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:43 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I just cannot hardly wait. It is like a heavy load of rocks being lifted off the nation's back. I will be so proud to call this man PRESIDENT Obama! He is already keeping his promises to put in place good professional people and get rolling on the very first day.
At noon next Tuesday we are having a "New Years Eve" style party here where we will count down the final 10 seconds and celebrate with fireworks and drinks at noon on Tuesday!
Not my president. Mine is Palin. To an independent Alaska!

Old 01-15-2009, 09:49 AM

877 posts, read 2,077,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Were you even awake during the past 8 years?
Alright smart guy, here's Title 18 of the U.S. Code. Please point out, with specificity, which laws the President has broken.

I'll wait if you want to take your time.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Alright smart guy, here's Title 18 of the U.S. Code. Please point out, with specificity, which laws the President has broken.

I'll wait if you want to take your time.

Ok, I'll play, but I am sorry to other posters for taking up so much room

Here is 'some' of the reasons why W is an absolute colossal failure, and a disgrace to democracy (and anyone with an IQ higher than 7). I'm sure in here, he has broken some laws somewhere:

In his “War on Terror”. In this signature achievement we see the following “results”:

- Spent over 166 billion dollars to blow up two third world countries that posed no threat to the US.

- Has presided over the deaths of close to 1000 US soldiers, and over 12,000 innocent Iraqi civilians.

- Has not attended one US soldier’s funeral.

- Won’t allow the returning dead from Iraq be seen by the public.

- He has crafted policy that allows us to torture prisoners, regardless of their innocence, violating international law.

- This torture has now been reported to have occurred to children, sexually, in front of their parents. This was used as a means to “break” them.

- Has not caught Osama bin Ladin.

- Has allowed the Taliban and warlord tribes take over Afghanistan again.

- Has turned Osama bin Laden from public enemy number one, to being marginalized and not thought of much.

- Created the terror color code chart which gives us a vibrant way of being perpetually scared, without anything of substance behind the fear. Conveniently, the chart comes in handy whenever trailing on the polls.

- Has permanently adopted Halliburton as a dependent.

- Has seen an increase in terrorist activity since taking office.

Let’s try the environment:

- Created the Clear Skies Initiative, which would completely overhaul the Clean Air Act, to reduce requirements of businesses that contribute to pollution. The data has been summarized as follows: “under Clear Skies sulfur dioxide pollution could increase 34 percent, mercury pollution could rise by up to 88 percent, and nitrogen oxides pollution could double”.

- Passed the Healthy Forests Initiative (No Tree Left Behind), which is a devious handout to the logging industry, which contributed over $14 million to political campaigns since 1999, with over 80 percent going to Republican lawmakers; President Bush has received more than $500,000. Healthy Forests is disguised as a fire prevention bill, which, you guessed it, solves the problem of forest fires by removing those pesky trees.

- Suspended the new arsenic-in-tap-water standard and right-to-know requirements, which compel water utilities to divulge their arsenic levels to their consumers. Interesting, remove the health restrictions, AND remove their accountability.

- 2005 budget slashes federal funding to prevent lead poisoning by $35 million, leaving some 40,000 homes contaminated with lead next year.

- Mountaintop Mining Self-Reporting Program will actually allow polluting companies that deposit mountaintops into streams which pollute public waters, to simply self identify and avoid any prosecution from the federal government.

- Proposed to loosen regulations to let the nuclear industry dump low-level radioactive waste, which now must be stored in closely monitored facilities, in regular landfills and hazardous waste sites that weren't designed to handle these dangerous substances. The rule change, which could open landfills to such deadly radioactive materials as cesium, strontium, cobalt and plutonium, would substantially reduce the nuclear industry's waste-disposal costs.

The economy:

- The first net loss of jobs since Herbert Hoover. Yes, that Herbert Hoover from the Great Depression.

- Has lost 1.8 million private sector jobs.

- Handed out tax breaks targeting the richest 1% of this country, who he affectionately refers to as his base.

- This tax break has not “stimulated” the economy, it has crippled it and accounts currently for 290 billion dollars of deficit.

- Bush has created the second highest lay-off rate in history at 8.7 percent, only topped by Reagan in the early 1980’s.

- On the average, those who are lucky enough to find work again are earning an average of $9,160 (21%) less, without medical insurance.

- 3.7 million American families have lost their medical insurance under Bush.

- A record 82 million American families have gone without medical insurance.

- For those still lucky enough to have coverage, family medical insurance premiums have increased over $2,600 under Bush.

- A new record budget deficit of over 600 billion dollars, which is 800 billion dollars worse, than when he took office.

- Home foreclosures hit a record high in 2008.

- Personal bankruptcies hit all time high in 2008.

Is the US really safer?:

- Bush has essentially eliminated the provision of habeas corpus by granting himself unlimited power to declare any citizen an “enemy combatant”. This results in permanent detention, at Bush’s whim, no counsel, no offer or proof ever has to be made, and Bush may move the case to any district he wishes.

- Email and library records are now allowed to be monitored and searched, without probable cause or warrant.

- Brandon Mayfield of Oregon is wrongly arrested for connection to Madrid bombing; his house is searched by FBI without his knowledge.

- Steven Kurtz of Buffalo is currently being persecuted, after his wife died, and is being brought up on bio-terrorism charges, for his artwork.

- A Wyoming woman is dragged off her cruise ship in cuffs and leg shackles for an incorrect warrant, involving a $50 “improper food storage” summons, which she had already paid, months prior.

- A Texas married couple at a Bush rally in West Virginia were arrested and led away in cuffs. Their offense? Wearing anti-Bush tee shirts. People wearing pro-Bush shirts were not accosted. The woman, who worked for FEMA, lost her job immediately. The ACLU is trying to help the couple fight the case in court.

- A St. Petersburg couple was pepper sprayed by police for receiving a cell phone call in a theater. Witnesses say the couple did nothing wrong and were cooperating at the time of the assault by police.

- A Homeland Security inspector of the United States was charged with violating a Chinese tourist's civil rights following an altercation that left the innocent woman's eyes nearly swollen shut and bumps and bruises on her face and head. This occurred at Niagara Falls, where the woman was mistaken for being involved with a marijuana buy. Apparently this officer beat the hell out of the wrong person.

- A government scientist finishing a candy bar on her way into a subway station where eating is banned was arrested, handcuffed and detained for three hours by transit police in Washington DC. Yes, that’s right, illegal use of a Kit Kat is now punishable with handcuffs and arrest. The worst part is the Transit Police Chief actually defended the actions.

- A US couple were removed from a New York-bound flight at Miami Airport because crewmembers considered a T-shirt one of them was wearing obscene. The offending tee shirt had a picture of an exposed breast. Mind you, no passengers complained, the flight staff demanded they remove the shirt, when the couple correctly asserted their free speech rights, they were booted off the plane.

- At the presidential conventions, protesters are to be cordoned off in cages with razor wire. These are referred to as “free speech zones”.

- John ******** ordered five previously public documents to be removed from all libraries, without any rationale given other than the Department determined they were not “appropriate for external use”.

- Team Bush tried to ascertain the race of a woman scheduled to photograph Dick Cheney. This is most probably due to the fact that her name was middle-eastern in sound.

- A Bush campaign worker suggested that American workers unhappy with low-quality jobs should find new ones -- or pop a Prozac to make themselves feel better. Apparently, she is unaware that without medical insurance, Prozac costs a lot of money.

Has George W. Bush fulfilled any of these slogans, which he sold you on in 2000? His has been the most divisive administration in history, with people from his own camp constantly defecting. He has had no real plans, other than wars based on lies and how to avoid the Geneva Conventions. After eight years, he has reformed nothing, and has no results other than what is listed in this article. Children have been not only left behind, but also forgotten about and in other countries, tortured.

History will not judge Bush as a good president, but a retarded buffoon, agreeing with the vast majority of Americans. And before you look at my profile and wonder what this has to do with a Brit.. I live between the two countries.

It should be a relief to you that such a moron is finally leaving office, and at that the very least, a competent and intelligent president is going to attempt to fix the damage.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:23 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I just cannot hardly wait. It is like a heavy load of rocks being lifted off the nation's back. I will be so proud to call this man PRESIDENT Obama! He is already keeping his promises to put in place good professional people and get rolling on the very first day.
At noon next Tuesday we are having a "New Years Eve" style party here where we will count down the final 10 seconds and celebrate with fireworks and drinks at noon on Tuesday!
I also hope you're excited about the democrats $825 billion dollar bailout. Nothing like blowing more money we don't have.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
I also hope you're excited about the democrats $825 billion dollar bailout. Nothing like blowing more money we don't have.
So I suppose it was ok when Bush kept on blowing money we did not have. Of course!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Now only if you understood the difference between making an attempt to bail out the country versus bailing out a few corporations and executives.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Ok, I'll play, but I am sorry to other posters for taking up so much room

Here is 'some' of the reasons why W is an absolute colossal failure, and a disgrace to democracy (and anyone with an IQ higher than 7). I'm sure in here, he has broken some laws somewhere:
I'm sorry, the question was "which laws has the President Broken", not "what is a laundry list of things you don't like about President Bush.

If I had wanted the latter, I could have watched the bald failed sportscaster for an hour. I asked which laws the president has broken. Title 18 of the U.S. Code lists all federal crimes.

So again, please cite, with specificity, which laws the president has broken.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, the question was "which laws has the President Broken", not "what is a laundry list of things you don't like about President Bush.

If I had wanted the latter, I could have watched the bald failed sportscaster for an hour. I asked which laws the president has broken. Title 18 of the U.S. Code lists all federal crimes.

So again, please cite, with specificity, which laws the president has broken.

Lots:

Raw Replay - Revisiting History

Bush challenges hundreds of laws - The Boston Globe

Bush Has Broken 1947 National Security Act

CounterPunch: "America's Best Political Newsletter"

It goes on and on..

Old 01-15-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
MSNBC? Really? I don't think you understand what I'm asking for. Here's a hint, it's not political muckracking.

Quote:
Doesn't actually say he broke any laws, rather that he used signing statements, something that is not new, and has never been considered "illegal."
Quote:
Patrick Fitzgerald, the independent investigator who looked into the Plame situation, found no evidence of criminality by any White House official as it related to her "outing." Instead, he got a perjury conviction against one official.
Quote:
This may be difficult for you to accept, but the President, as chief executive under Article 2, has the sole power to wage war. When Congress authorizes the President to act (see the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Terrorists), then the President's war powers come into play. Congress does not, and has no power to, regulate the conduct of the President in conducting war, and therefore any attempt by Congress to so regulate the President is unconstitutional. Part of conducting a war is engaging in intelligence surveillance.

The President therefore has no obligation to go to Congress (or the Court when Congress requires judicial approval) to get approval for wiretaps against foreign agents.

There are some more complicated legal issues at play, particularly the interplay between Executive and Legislative Powers, but in this case, there is enough to create a legal question. And absent a clear legal precedent, to say he "broke the law" is rhetoric at best.

However, good find on that last one. If nothing else, there was at least some question about the legality of the wiretaps, although to reach the conclusion of criminal conduct requires quite a leap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections