Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times

Advertisements

Actually, I wanted to hear what he had to say. He was so invisible that sometimes I forgot we had a president And since he doesn't market himself I wanted to get his take on things. I didn't agree with his take on most of it, but it was good to hear the President speak to the country, regardless of who it is.

He should have done this more often IMO

Old 01-15-2009, 07:58 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The Idiot is down to his final few days. Few people like him and fewer want to hear what he has to say. We have already seen the damage The Idiot has done to this country and to its ideals, its people and its standing in the world. It would be nice if The Idiot would just quietly exit out the back door and be gone. God may forgive The Idiot but I never will.
I'm with ya kev, the slimey smirking creep should just quietly crawl back into his bottle......I don't need a powder puff gloss over speech from HIM .... I know what happened to this country under his dictatorship.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:59 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times
I didn't vote for Bush in either election, but I respect the office of the president and the right for George W. Bush to schedule a farewell news conference. Hearing the impact of 9/11 from his perspective really gave me pause.
Don't worry, you'll have different man in that office that you can bash in a few days.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Much of the damage you speak of has been done by the Democratic Congress.

You'll have to be more clear on the damage done to American ideals.

Since when are American ideals only held by left wingers?

Also, what "standing in the world" would satisfy you? Reputation? Is that what you're concerned about? What country would you like us to be like?
Considering that the Dems were not in control of Congress for much of Bush's term, I don't think you can honestly pin the blame entirely on them.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:41 PM

102 posts, read 157,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The Idiot is down to his final few days. Few people like him and fewer want to hear what he has to say. We have already seen the damage The Idiot has done to this country and to its ideals, its people and its standing in the world. It would be nice if The Idiot would just quietly exit out the back door and be gone. God may forgive The Idiot but I never will.
You're speaking of obama's last days before commandeering the White House and waging war on the decent citizens of America, right?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:53 PM

273 posts, read 342,927 times
I have mixed feelings about the medias treatment of obama and bush at this stage.

The corporate media only do what is good for the bottom line. They were cheerleading Bush when they should have been skeptical. Now, when it is easy to second quess his policy, they do it. The wrote Obama off as a candidate early in the primary, and were ready to coronate Hillary. Now they build up expectations of Obama that no human can possibly fulfill.

Bush is/has been a president of the US. That should garner a certain amount of respect from all of us. I have long been an oponent of his policies, but I was outraged that a foreign reporter threw a shoe at the president of my country. I don't think it benefits any of us for him to be humiliated. Lets try to remember, it is OUR country, the UNITED states of america.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:17 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times
I did not even want to watch it. After his performance on Monday at that press conference, I said, "I'm done listening to this delusional fool."
Notice how he's done more 1 on 1 interviews (or with Pickles at his side) these last 4 weeks, than he's done during the last 2 years, trying in vain to defend his pathetic, sick, illegal presidency.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:27 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times
I view this speach as just another part of his 'Legacy Project' which his administration has been working on for months.

The objective of this project is to put a positive spin on Bush's years in office and hopefully to resurrect his legacy... and I am NOT joking - this is a real project his administration is working on furiously...

I don't care what he says tonight - and I will not watch him - I'll just listen to the analysis on the news later - he will never be able to explain away the horrendous mess he is leaving Obama to clean up , and for us and our children to live with.

Bush's legacy is an almost ruined financial system, a near Great Depression II, a totally needless and astronomically costly War in Iraq, an almost Imperial Presidency that views the constitution as 'just a damn piece of paper', the polticization of the Justice Department, and using the powers of office to persecute political adversaries - just to name a few...

There are many many other ways that he has damaged our country that will only appear evident in retrospect as time passes.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
The neo-con Messiah is still CIC and it was interesting to hear his spin on things.
Only a few more days until Bush-It becomes irrelevant.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:43 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Eight years of Bush decidership have been a disaster. It was suggested to me that it was actually Barack Obama who should have been delivering a farewell address last night. After all, he's done more good for America as President-elect than Bush has done as President. The sad truth is that there was nothing tongue-in-cheek about that proposal at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.