Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Will POTUS Obama have a honeymoon for the record book. Some suggest that the data is very favorable for that.

Obama’s Actions May Pose Biggest Risk to Presidential Honeymoon - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090116/pl_bloomberg/ampyjz1hsfv8 - broken link)
Post-election polls consistently show high approval ratings for Obama. In a survey released yesterday by the Washington- based Pew Research Center for the People and the Press, 79 percent of Americans, including 59 percent of Republicans, said they have a favorable impression of the president-elect. Bush’s personal favorability just before he took office in 2001 was 60 percent, and Clinton’s was 69 percent shortly before he was inaugurated in 1993, said Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center.

Interesting article which also talks about how most presidents end their honeymoon by making mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
If it sets a record, more likely it will be a record for shortness. Too many huge bumps in the road directly ahead. No matter how good a job Obama does, someone's bound to get upset about something. And he's bound to get stuck between a rock and a hard place again and again--that usually brings a honeymoon to a quick end.

Don't get me wrong--I think he'll do a fine job over the next 8 years. But I doubt he'll have much of a honeymoon.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Nope. And what's been amazing is how the Dems have been sniping at him. When the campaign started, I figured they brought him to the forefront with a rush of adulation and enthusiasm, believing that he could provide an appealing front man and they could pull his strings. That looks like what they're trying to do. He'd best cut those strings SOON and tell Pelosi/Boxer/Feinstein to shut up.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Nope. And what's been amazing is how the Dems have been sniping at him. When the campaign started, I figured they brought him to the forefront with a rush of adulation and enthusiasm, believing that he could provide an appealing front man and they could pull his strings. That looks like what they're trying to do. He'd best cut those strings SOON and tell Pelosi/Boxer/Feinstein to shut up.
You are accurate in that and he is telling them who is in charge and has the support of the people to back it up with. He is the one answering questions every day and speaking to groups of people about policy etc. As long as he remains accessible he will be ahead of them, bloggers and the media. Who needs someone to interpret the President when he speaking directly to you daily.

Chuck Todd of MSNBC was talking yesterday about his new book on how Obama won the presidency and spoke about his strength is clarity and how he writes and uses his speeches as organizational tools to structure policy and policy implementation around. He said that he thought one of the most critical things about how he won was that he was the only one of the three who actually gave a speech and explained why he was running. Obama did his on the steps of the Illinois State Capital, Clinton did it on her web site and McCain did it on a late night talk show. Obama has been clear since day one why he was running and if he continues that clarity the majority of the public will get his perspective from him and not the media or a blogger.
Chuck Todd Examines 'How Barack Obama Won' : NPR

Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
The Media is going to praise Obama regardless of his decisions. That's what they've done up until this point, so there is no reason for that to change.

One good thing about Obama is that he is not going to be a hack for the idiots leading Congress, such as Pelosi/Frank/Reid/Schumer, etc. He has not been on the national scene that long, so his ties to these morons aren't that strong.

The American people (except those who are too stupid to think) will turn on him when things continue to go bad despite his actions. In reality, things are going to get worse BECAUSE of his actions. One smart move that he will make IMO is getting rid of Bernanke (late '09/early '10). However, he may bring in someone else who keeps interest rates artificially low and prints money. If he does not, it will be great for the country but will make the short term pain much worse which will ruin his chances at re-election. Politicians focus more on re-election than helping the country; hopefully Obama will not make this mistake.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Obama And Congress Learn To Dance
"I think it is natural that you have people who are important, powerful people on the Hill, committee chairs, who want to exercise their prerogative," said Tad Devine, a longtime Democratic strategist. "Then you have an incoming president, who enjoyed enormous popularity and was elected on a mandate for change. These are two big forces coming together. But I don't think they are coming to collision. I think there will be a dance that is typical in situations like this and they will each find a way to deal with each other."

Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Obama And Congress Learn To Dance
"I think it is natural that you have people who are important, powerful people on the Hill, committee chairs, who want to exercise their prerogative," said Tad Devine, a longtime Democratic strategist. "Then you have an incoming president, who enjoyed enormous popularity and was elected on a mandate for change. These are two big forces coming together. But I don't think they are coming to collision. I think there will be a dance that is typical in situations like this and they will each find a way to deal with each other."
Leave it to the Huffington Post to spin it. Sheesh, I wasn't even an Obama supporter but I was ticked at Pelosi's and Feinstein's grandstanding about how Obama had BETTER consult with them over various decisions/appointments. If he doesn't stand up to the gang, they'll run roughshod and I'm sure that they're reminding him privately that he "owes" them.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:16 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
From an AOL poll minutes ago:
What kind of a president do you think Barack Obama will be?

Poor - 28%
Fair - 28%
Good - 24%
Excellent - 20%
Note on Poll Results
Total Votes: 54,341

I was pretty surprised by these results, although it is a small sample.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 PM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
From an AOL poll minutes ago:
What kind of a president do you think Barack Obama will be?

Poor - 28%
Fair - 28%
Good - 24%
Excellent - 20%
Note on Poll Results
Total Votes: 54,341

I was pretty surprised by these results, although it is a small sample.
And not at all scientific as it was not a random sample.

Mike

Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Considering the Congress probably is intent on controlling him, I think he has a tough couple of years after a short honeymoon period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections