Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:16 PM

30,392 posts, read 52,001,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
You're an Obama supporter and you have a post like this?
What's up with that?
I think (hope) he was being facetious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:20 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,683,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think (hope) he was being facetious.

well yeah................

Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,681,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And speaking of race, to my knowledge, the Federal government has never even formally apologized to African Americans for the injustices of slavery.

If you notice, as a white person like myself (and I dont even tan well, so I'm about as "white" as you can get) our history is always been diluted to the point we are the greatest nation on earth and "race", outside of slavery that supposedly ended with the Civil War, is not worth teaching in history class.

This country was founded on racism. It has been institutionalized and part of and segregation only disappeared (officially) less than 50 years ago. So that makes how many hundreds of years where it was authorized?

Dont even start on Native Americans, who were almost wiped out. We dont want to teach those unpleasant truths, they interfere with the patriotic versions everyone was taught.

Yep, you have a classic case of 'white guilt', you might want to seek some help for that.

I have an idea, why don't you move out of lily white central Illinois and move somewhere like New Orleans, that might help the real world seem a bit clearer to you.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,223,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yep, you have a classic case of 'white guilt', you might want to seek some help for that.

I have an idea, why don't you move out of lily white central Illinois and move somewhere like New Orleans, that might help the real world seem a bit clearer to you.
Yep, you have a classic case of 'white ignorance,' you might want to seek some help for that.

I have an idea, why don't you move out of your social circle and move into something like the local NAACP chapter, that might help the real world seem a bit clearer to you.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
November is Native American Heritage Month... I only know because I did a project in graduate school on Native American library patrons, and had to look that up! I think it should be more highly publicized, seeing as nobody seems to know about it.

Some info on NA Month from the Library of Congress - spread the word! Native American Heritage Month
Thanks for the knowledge! I'll have to look up that LOC information.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Lily-white central Illinois? You need to go on a field trip to that area, and I don't mean a trip to a cornfield or a soybean field. Champaign, Decatur, Danville, are all as "real world" as it gets for black-while relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections