Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Personally, I expect Obama to govern from the center...In fact, I would prefer it, as it would be best for the party in 2010 and Obama's reelection chances. However, that does not mean that he should have free reign to diss the gay community.
He will diss anyone that will not help his re-election chances. One thing that is common among all Presidents is that the minute they take office they begin to do what will most likely get them re-elected. Obama will be no different.

His best bet is to cuddle up to moderate Republicans. It is these people that will get him re-elected. I know many won't like to hear this but it is the truth. The Democrats will vote for him no matter what he does. He does not have to make any effort to get their votes. He will concentrate of the middle of the road thus guaranteeing him a second term. Then and only then might he move left of center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
He will diss anyone that will not help his re-election chances. One thing that is common among all Presidents is that the minute they take office they begin to do what will most likely get them re-elected. Obama will be no different.

His best bet is to cuddle up to moderate Republicans. It is these people that will get him re-elected. I know many won't like to hear this but it is the truth. The Democrats will vote for him no matter what he does. He does not have to make any effort to get their votes. He will concentrate of the middle of the road thus guaranteeing him a second term. Then and only then might he move left of center.
This isn't true of only Presidents - but of all elected officials.

Obama talks about this very thing in "Audacity of Hope". The primary goal of every elected official is to not lose in the next election.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Somehow I don't think the invocation from homophobe Rick Warren will be blacked out.

I have seen claims that the Obama transition team was actually behind this...if so, it again makes one wonder how Obama really feels about the GLBT community.

HBO not only blacked out Bishop Gene Robinson's invocation at today's inauguration concert, they didn't introduce the Washington DC Gay Men's Chorus when they performed, nor did they identify them onscreen. I wonder who was behind that.

Gay Bishop's Invocation Blacked Out at Obama's HBO Concert | Crooks and Liars
Hmmmm. I dont think the Obama team would be so cynical - or so self-defeating. I'd expect something neurotic like that from a right wing outfit - like that TV station in Alabama that accidentally happened to black out the 60 Minutes report on Don Siegelman. Promoted it for days, then - oops!

This guy lays out three options the Obama team has "when the outcry comes to a boil":

TV Barn: Why was Rev. Gene Robinson kept off "We Are One"? (http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/01/why-was-rev-gen.html - broken link)

"UPDATE: Option 1 is off the table. An HBO spokesperson told TVB, 'The PIC (Presidential Inaugural Committee)made the decision to put Rev. Robinson's invocation in the pre-show.'"

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,059 times
When will people realize that no matter who is elected they will govern from the middle because that is where the vast MAJORITY of voters are and they want the votes.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:39 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Hmmmm. I dont think the Obama team would be so cynical - or so self-defeating. I'd expect something neurotic like that from a right wing outfit - like that TV station in Alabama that accidentally happened to black out the 60 Minutes report on Don Siegelman. Promoted it for days, then - oops!

This guy lays out three options the Obama team has "when the outcry comes to a boil":

TV Barn: Why was Rev. Gene Robinson kept off "We Are One"? (http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/01/why-was-rev-gen.html - broken link)

"UPDATE: Option 1 is off the table. An HBO spokesperson told TVB, 'The PIC (Presidential Inaugural Committee)made the decision to put Rev. Robinson's invocation in the pre-show.'"

From your link..

Whatever excuse the Obama people choose, exactly zero Americans saw Bishop Robinson on TV welcoming America to a day celebrating a president who is supposedly, to quote Colin Powell (http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2008/10/colin-powell-an.html - broken link), a transformational figure.And 150 million people will see Rick Warren do the same thing on Tuesday.Some transformation.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
From your link..

Whatever excuse the Obama people choose, exactly zero Americans saw Bishop Robinson on TV welcoming America to a day celebrating a president who is supposedly, to quote Colin Powell (http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2008/10/colin-powell-an.html - broken link), a transformational figure.
And 150 million people will see Rick Warren do the same thing on Tuesday.
Some transformation.
? Yes, I know. I quoted that blog because he sets out the three options, and one of them had a confirmed update from HBO.

I look forward to the honest answers, too.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Perhaps the Obama team felt that Robinson's divisive appearance and lugubrious words were not something the nation needed at this particular perilous time. If so, they were right.

He was invited to the party, and he got to wear his pretty dress. That's sufficient.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:53 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,429,699 times
Here's Rev. Robinson's invocation from yesterday, taken by a camcorder. It just baffles me as to why Obama and/or his transition team seems to feel it's necessary to give the impression of disrespecting the LGBT community.

YouTube - Gene Robinson's Prayer Kicks off Inaugural Events

Old 01-19-2009, 11:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,582 times
Quote:
Here's Rev. Robinson's invocation from yesterday, taken by a camcorder. It just baffles me as to why Obama and/or his transition team seems to feel it's necessary to give the impression of disrespecting the LGBT community.

YouTube - Gene Robinson's Prayer Kicks off Inaugural Events
I don't know - maybe because his prayer sucked?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Perhaps the Obama team felt that Robinson's divisive appearance and lugubrious words were not something the nation needed at this particular perilous time. If so, they were right.

He was invited to the party, and he got to wear his pretty dress. That's sufficient.
Indeed! Wow, what an interesting "compromise." And I'm chuckling at the assertion by some here that Robinson's selection didn't present a "political problem" when a few of us maintained it did. Guess the Obama people saw it our way. Heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections