Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 04:37 PM

495 posts, read 748,386 times

Advertisements

Although the major media been ignoring this story, the incoming Obama administration is setting its sights on revisiting the moon and establishing a permanent base manned base for the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 PM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post
Although the major media been ignoring this story, the incoming Obama administration is setting its sights on revisiting the moon and establishing a permanent base manned base for the United States.

Just a continuation of existing policy. I wouldn't expect him to shake up NASA before taking office, and destablize what's left of the economy. Very soon, India, Japan, Korea, China, and the EU will be up there. No need to have them looking down on us here all alone among developed nations, is there?

Old 01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Well darn, that will fix the economy.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:25 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,734,055 times
Didnt Bush start this return to the moon spiel a few years back? I'm beginning to see a pattern of less, and less "originality" from Obama, already....

But that aside, I guess I'd rather see the US up there, if we be alone or with company from the chinese. As opposed to just the chinese themselves.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Didnt Bush start this return to the moon spiel a few years back? I'm beginning to see a pattern of less, and less "originality" from Obama, already....

But that aside, I guess I'd rather see the US up there, if we be alone or with company from the chinese. As opposed to just the chinese themselves.

Don't break your arm trying to spin it. Did you know that the prototype of the Moon Rover designed by NASA as part of Bush's "return to the moon" program will be in the inaugural parade? Or do you think NASA came up with it in record time?

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progressive25 View Post
Someone tell me again why we didn't simply keep GWB around for a third term? Obama ran on "change" and "hope". The "change" that would give me the most "hope" is if we stopped throwing money down a rat hole like this. We're going to end up with a full on economic depression and a Moon base.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
I suppose it is acceptable to some of you that our space shuttles are to be decommissioned in 2010 and we will have to beg the Russians for rides to the International Space Station and will probably have to let the Hubble Telescope go offline because there will no longer be a way to service it. Great nations have a responsibility to act great. Yes, our economy is in the toilet but guess what, the world goes on! China is hurting too. That isn't going to stop them from getting to the moon. Furthermore, while we focus on the moon there will still be no plan to replace the shuttle. You can bet Japan or India or maybe even China will not be so single minded. Someone besides the Ruskie's is going to develop a reusable orbiter and OWN near earth space. That scares me more than money going to NASA. While we were sleeping several TRILLION went to the fat cats. What are they going to do with it? Nothing useful to you or I. Please stop shaming yourselves in this disgusting fashion. Personally a replacement for the shuttle should come before or concurrent with a Lunar program but to argue that we leave space alone entirely and act like a Third World agrarian start-up is beyond disgraceful.

H

Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I suppose it is acceptable to some of you that our space shuttles are to be decommissioned in 2010 and we will have to beg the Russians for rides to the International Space Station and will probably have to let the Hubble Telescope go offline because there will no longer be a way to service it. Great nations have a responsibility to act great. Yes, our economy is in the toilet but guess what, the world goes on! China is hurting too. That isn't going to stop them from getting to the moon. Furthermore, while we focus on the moon there will still be no plan to replace the shuttle. You can bet Japan or India or maybe even China will not be so single minded. Someone besides the Ruskie's is going to develop a reusable orbiter and OWN near earth space. That scares me more than money going to NASA. While we were sleeping several TRILLION went to the fat cats. What are they going to do with it? Nothing useful to you or I. Please stop shaming yourselves in this disgusting fashion. Personally a replacement for the shuttle should come before or concurrent with a Lunar program but to argue that we leave space alone entirely and act like a Third World agrarian start-up is beyond disgraceful.

H

I think they'd just prefer us to be another third world hell hole that would match their political views.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:38 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,655,705 times
A perfect place for some of the liberal moon bats

Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,584,283 times
I think we need to get permission first from the ETs who are using the back side of the moon for a base
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections