Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

I should add--

I would ask again. How is it not "playing with life" to stop any child from being conceived? I'm not saying an abortion and birth control are the same thing, don't worry. What I'm saying is, your argument is that a child already conceived might have been the next Obama.

What if a child not conceived because the parents used birth control, any birth control--even NFP (natural family planning), which utilizes NO chemical or mechanical barriers whatsoever--would have been the next Obama?

What if it would have been the next Ghandi? What if it would have been the next John Hinkley? The next Mussolini? The next Mother Theresa?

It could have been any of those things. It could have been the one human who could have reconciled peace in the Middle East, it could have been a person who ended up curing cancer. It could have been a mass murderer. Or it could have been the person your own dear child ended up marrying, the future parent of your grandchild.

But the parents got pregnant the next month instead of that month, by their own choice and methods. Or they never had a child again, by their own choice and methods. This choice might have been based on "frivolous" or "selfish" or "thoughtless" reasons just like some people accuse those who chose abortion based on.

How is any form of family planning/birth control any less "playing with life" in the way you describe than abortion is?

And if the theory is that God would allow someone who could literally save the human race from untold horrors to die because He gives us free choice, well, frankly, that's illogical too. Because to tell you the truth, if God is going to leave the future of humanity to a scared 16-year-old who got drunk at a party two months ago, then He was pretty much just biding His time until we failed anyway. It could have been sooner or it could have happened later but it would have happened because humans are imperfect. So I really don't believe in that...my God sure wouldn't roll that way.

I think those who decry abortion for religious reasons really should have a little more faith in their own God. I do.

Last edited by JerZ; 01-29-2009 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Isn't that interesting. I thought that abortions were "safe".
Way to take things out of context, I am talking about a backstreet illegal abortion done by a man never trained to do such a thing.

The FACT is that a first trimester abortion is less likely to cause harm to the Mother then carrying a child full term.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:15 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Vatican criticizes Obama on abortion issue

Sat Jan 24, 9:29 am ET

VATICAN CITY – Vatican officials said Saturday they were disappointed by President Barack Obama's decision to end a ban on federal funding for international groups that perform abortions or provide information on them.

Monsignor Rino Fisichella, who heads the Vatican's Pontifical Academy for Life, urged Obama to listen to all voices in America without "the arrogance of those who, being in power, believe they can decide of life and death."

Fisichella said in an interview published Saturday in Corriere della Sera that "if this is one of President Obama's first acts, I have to say, in all due respect, that we're heading quickly toward disappointment."

<snip>

Vatican criticizes Obama on abortion issue - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090124/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_obama_2 - broken link)

It sounds like Obama has pissed-off the Pope!

Sorry, my respect for the Pope's opinion flew out the window when they started standing silently by while Hitler took over Europe and while Catholic priests molested little boys.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Sorry folks but the "man should not be playing god with life and death decisions" just won't fly. Soldiers make these decisions every day and death is usually favored.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:53 AM

102 posts, read 157,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
Is anyone surprised by this? The official stance of the Catholic church is against ALL birth control, except for the mostly ineffective rythem method.
You're not really suggesting murder as a form of birth control, are you? If so, that is completely and utterly deranged and immoral.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:01 AM

I find it completely hypocritical and deranged that you psycho leftists will scream at the top of your lungs against the capital punishment of rapists and murderers, think the murdering criminals who masterminded 9/11 deserve more rights than decent citizens and would lay down in front of a runaway truck if it means saving an errant squirrel, yet the life of an unborn human is irrelevant or even worse, a matter of politics as usual. How disgusting and hateful. The inmates are clearly running the asylum. God help us all.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyGrace View Post
I find it completely hypocritical and deranged that you psycho leftists will scream at the top of your lungs against the capital punishment of rapists
Rapists deserve heavy punishment, but not death.

Quote:
and murderers
Not all cases of murder deserve the death penalty, but many do.

Quote:
think the murdering criminals who masterminded 9/11 deserve more rights than decent citizens
Everyone deserves a right to a fair trial. If you're referring to Gitmo, of course.

Quote:
and would lay down in front of a runaway truck if it means saving an errant squirrel
That, however, is positively ridiculous.

Quote:
yet the life of an unborn human is irrelevant or even worse
Until they can successfully create an artificial womb where the fetus no longer leeches the life out of a human being, the fetus should never have more rights than the human carrying it.

Quote:
How disgusting and hateful .
I find it disgusting and hateful to deny a woman the choice to carry a child or not.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Obama should do everything the Poop tells him ...but , of course, ONLY if Republicans approve!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Rapists deserve heavy punishment, but not death.

Not all cases of murder deserve the death penalty, but many do.

Everyone deserves a right to a fair trial. If you're referring to Gitmo, of course.

That, however, is positively ridiculous.

Until they can successfully create an artificial womb where the fetus no longer leeches the life out of a human being, the fetus should never have more rights than the human carrying it.

I find it disgusting and hateful to deny a woman the choice to carry a child or not.
Before you continue your self-righteous rant, just wondering...have you ever been raped? Did you have any family members die at the hands of those (in your words) rights-deserving monsters housed at Gitmo?

Don't know what planet you're from, but a human womb houses life, it does not "leech the life out of a human being." That is twisted thinking. If a woman cannot handle the consequences of her actions, then she should not engage in an act that could result in the creation of a life. Why do you believe an innocent unborn life should suffer because someone is too selfish or irresponsible to accept the consequences of her actions? But, that doesn't surprise me as you leftists never accept responsibility for your actions. That, in itself, is hateful and disgusting. But not quite nearly as hateful and disgusting as your complete disregard for human life. And yes...to you leftists, animals, whether they walk on two or four feet, do have more rights than human beings.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmyGrace View Post
Before you continue your self-righteous rant, just wondering...have you ever been raped?
Yes.

Quote:
Did you have any family members die at the hands of those (in your words) rights-deserving monsters housed at Gitmo?
No, however, even if I did, I'd feel the same way. Especially since we have no real reason to house most of the prisoners at Gitmo.

Quote:
Don't know what planet you're from, but a human womb houses life, it does not "leech the life out of a human being."
It's a medical fact- a fetus does suck nutrients out of a woman's body. Very similar to a parasite.

Quote:
If a woman cannot handle the consequences of her actions, then she should not engage in an act that could result in the creation of a life.
Do you seek medical treatment for getting into a car accident?

Quote:
Why do you believe an innocent unborn life should suffer
There is no suffering to be had in something that cannot even feel pain.

Quote:
But, that doesn't surprise me as you leftists never accept responsibility for your actions.
I for one find abortion to be a very responsible decision.

Quote:
And yes...to you leftists, animals, whether they walk on two or four feet, do have more rights than human beings.
It's more like I believe already existing life has more rights than pre-existing life. Either way, the constitution grants no rights to the unborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections