Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times

Advertisements

Congress sent the White House Tuesday what is expected to be the first legislation that President Barack Obama signs into law, a bill that makes it easier for women and others to sue for pay discrimination, even if the discrimination has prevailed for years, even decades.

The bill is a response to a 2007 Supreme Court ruling that said a person must file a claim of discrimination within 180 days of a company's initial decision to pay a worker less than it pays another worker doing the same job. Under the bill, every new discriminatory paycheck would extend the statute of limitations for another 180 days.

The plaintiff in the case, Lilly Ledbetter, argued that she did not become aware of the pay discrepancy until near the end of her 19-year career at a Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. plant in Gadsden, Ala.

[The bill does not change current law limiting back pay to two years.]

Supporters argued that the 5-4 Supreme Court decision throwing out Ledbetter's claim was unrealistic for most work environments in which employees are unaware of, or even barred from talking about, the salaries of their co-workers....it rewards companies that manage to keep wage discrimination secret for more than six months.

Opponents contended that the legislation would gut the statute of limitations, encourage lawsuits and be a boon to trial lawyers. They also argued that employees could wait to file claims in hopes of reaping larger damage awards....backers pointed out that the bill does not change current law limiting back pay for claimants to two years, so there would be no incentive to wait to file a claim.
washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:43 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,493,607 times
More change for the better. I wonder what will improve tomorrow...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:14 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
My Repuglican Congressman voted against it, he is brand new in the job and this was his first vote cast and it was against equal pay for women. The letters to the editor have already been colorful. Want unequal pay? Want to make discrimination okay? Vote Republican

Old 01-27-2009, 09:22 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,581,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
My Repuglican Congressman voted against it, he is brand new in the job and this was his first vote cast and it was against equal pay for women. The letters to the editor have already been colorful. Want unequal pay? Want to make discrimination okay? Vote Republican
Yep! Pretty much. Just like how McCain voted against the Equal Pay for Equal Work. Last month, Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) skipped the vote on the Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which would have made it easier for women and other workers to pursue pay discrimination claims.

They are also against including gays in hate crimes.

Want to support blind hatred for everyone non-white and non-Christian? VOTE REPUBLICAN!!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:25 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
I'm waiting for the naysayers to come full force on here & start moaning about "if a woman would just do her job like she's supposed to instead of always worrying about her kids or talking about fashion, makeup & celebrities, this wouldn't be a problem!" On a side note, my rep now says "karfar is a name known to all". Woohoo! *pats self on back*

Old 01-27-2009, 09:31 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,886,336 times
At least important things are getting their due.

I mean it isn't like anything else is going on in this country or the world...

Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Cool, the first one! Thanks oz!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That was just too easy.....

Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Except I wrote nothing like you predicted...don't give up your day job to be a psychic.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,183,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
At least important things are getting their due.

I mean it isn't like anything else is going on in this country or the world...
It's important, too; it's a puzzle-piece of justice fitted into place for all people who bring home a paycheck to their families. It encourages employers not to discriminate in pay - not just women, but anyone, older people, people of other nationalities, whoever.

I remember him saying back when he was campaigning that he would sign this early on, if he were elected.

Here is a(n?) FAQ: The Associated Press: Q&A about the Lilly Ledbetter fair pay bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections