Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 12:32 AM

855 posts, read 2,396,329 times

Advertisements

Why Gates is key to Obama’s success
Defense secretary warns of increased casualties and costs in Afghanistan

By Tom Curry
msnbc.com
updated 4:06 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 27, 2009

WASHINGTON - Even as President Barack Obama visited the Capitol Tuesday to lobby Republicans to support his stimulus plan, the most prominent Republican appointee who works for Obama, Defense Secretary Robert Gates, was briefing Congress on the foreign commitments that may decide the success of Obama’s presidency.

Moderator cut: Copyright Violation
The rest of the article is here:

Why Gates is key to Obama’s success - White House- msnbc.com

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-28-2009 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: Please post only a small snippet of article.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLK55 View Post
Why Gates is key to Obama’s success
Afghanistan will be a harder war than the one the United States is now drawing down from in Iraq, Gates said.

Why Gates is key to Obama’s success - White House- msnbc.com
Great article!

“Above all there must be an Afghan face on this war. The Afghan people must believe this is their war and we are there to help them, because if they think we are there for our own purposes, then we will go the way of every other foreign army that has been in Afghanistan.”

He also said he is “deeply skeptical” of sending more U.S. forces beyond the 30,000 the U.S. commander there, Gen. David McKiernan, has already asked for.

Gates also told senators that “the spigot of defense funding opened by 9/11 is closing” and therefore he will need to “ruthlessly separate appetites from real requirements” when buying new weaponry.

run out of money just in time for the more difficult war - thanks KBR!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:20 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
How many US dead are people willing to take?

Not trying to start a fight but casualties seemed to have been a big issue with Iraq.... dying in a different sandbox shouldn't make any difference.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Americans dying for a mistake is the biggest tragedy of Iraq.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Americans dying for a mistake is the biggest tragedy of Iraq.
Dying for a 'good cause' is okay then???

Is Afghanistan a 'good cause'?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:08 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Afghanistan is a necessary cause. Iraq was a personal issue for Bush that has led to the deaths of more Americans than died in the WTC attack. Is a former service member I believe American military lives should be placed in jeopardy only for the defense of our country, not for the profits of our companies.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:12 AM

So who are we fighting in Afghanistan again???

AL Qaeda or the Taliban?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:

Dying in war is never "okay" but if wars must be fought, soldiers will have to die as a result of it's prosecution. So if one must die in war, it damned sure ought to be for a just cause.

Is Afghanistan a good cause, that's an interesting question. I would say that killing, capturing or otherwise disrupting al Qaeda in Afghanistan is very much a good cause. The question for me is how those objectives are pursued. If it is a based upon "nation building," installing a week and ineffectual government which takes away from the principle objectives, I would say that I have severe problems with such a strategy.

I have a great deal of faith in Sec. Gates. He stood up to the Bush administration and redirected the war in Iraq. Before the election I often thought that keeping him on as Secretary of Defense would be a brilliant move. I am glad that Obama saw that in the same light.

So, I agree, that Gates is critical to a successful Obama administration, Obama seems to think so as well.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
So who are we fighting in Afghanistan again???

AL Qaeda or the Taliban?
Don't feel bad, you are as confused as Bush was.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM

But that Is the plan...to nation build.

Also from most I have read we are currently fighting the Taliban not Al Qaeda...

Is the Taliban the enemy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections