Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
since it's Kentucky, you're assuming it's Repubs.
FTW? Have you checked out the make up of the KY state leg, the Clay County officials and their Congressional and Senate members? If it had been NY or or MD the assumption might have been Dems, but in this case I'd have bet money on Rs without reading the article.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 05:39 PM

11,359 posts, read 16,723,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
FTW? Have you checked out the make up of the KY state leg, the Clay County officials and their Congressional and Senate members? If it had been NY or or MD the assumption might have been Dems, but in this case I'd have bet money on Rs without reading the article.

golfgod
So by your assumption, Chicago's corruption is all Dems...

HMMM....guess you're right. Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 08:14 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
So by your assumption, Chicago's corruption is all Dems...

HMMM....guess you're right. Thanks
Don't be dumb. No, it doesn't mean that. But if you heard of a story about a county in Illinois that included mostly Chicago, you'd assume that its politicians were mostly Dems.

Making that statement about these particular people was a guess, based on the location, and based on the fact that only liberal sites were mentioning the event. And I clearly stated that I was assuming it was the GOP based on those facts.

Seriously, do you realize how hard it is to have a conversation with someone who is so belligerent?

Old 03-25-2009, 06:34 PM

[quote=idahogie;8036089]Don't be dumb. No, it doesn't mean that. But if you heard of a story about a county in Illinois that included mostly Chicago, you'd assume that its politicians were mostly Dems.

Making that statement about these particular people was a guess, based on the location, and based on the fact that only liberal sites were mentioning the event. And I clearly stated that I was assuming it was the GOP based on those facts.

Seriously, do you realize how hard it is to have a conversation with someone who is so belligerent?[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Tell me about it.
I will, as you don't seem to understand the term "belligerence." Here's a quick summary of the conversation:

R_Cowgirl: Anyone seen this story?
Idahogie: No. Was it local or national?
golfgod: Indictment said local, state-wide, national.
Katiana: Not 2008, though
mrbob: Good they were caught - no excuse.
idahogie: Where are the right-wingers who are so concerned about election fraud?
YOU: Voter fraud is wrong.
golfgod: Maybe if we mentioned ACORN in the title ...
idahogie (to YOU): But why is this story being ignored when it's a right-wing issue? Doesn't that look hypocritical?
YOU: First, I'm not up in arms. [no one said that - I said it was a conservative issue - and it is] Second, Looks like no matter what I said, I'm wrong. [no one said that - you just missed the point]... Fourth, since it's Kentucky, you're assuming it's Repubs. [nobody said anything about who it was] What does that make you??? [Belligerence]
golfgod: It's a reasonable assumption.
YOU: So then Chicago is full of corrupt Dems ... Thanks! [more belligerence]
idahogie: That's dumb - this is what it means - that many pols in Chicago are Dems so any story there would likely involve them. Assuming these crimes were by the GOP was a reasonable assumption and stated that way.
YOU: You guys are so belligerent!

You are being the difficult one here - everyone else was being reasonable, and not pointing out the GOP involvement!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I will, as you don't seem to understand the term "belligerence." Here's a quick summary of the conversation:

R_Cowgirl: Anyone seen this story?
Idahogie: No. Was it local or national?
golfgod: Indictment said local, state-wide, national.
Katiana: Not 2008, though
mrbob: Good they were caught - no excuse.
idahogie: Where are the right-wingers who are so concerned about election fraud?
YOU: Voter fraud is wrong.
golfgod: Maybe if we mentioned ACORN in the title ...
idahogie (to YOU): But why is this story being ignored when it's a right-wing issue? Doesn't that look hypocritical?
YOU: First, I'm not up in arms. [no one said that - I said it was a conservative issue - and it is] Second, Looks like no matter what I said, I'm wrong. [no one said that - you just missed the point]... Fourth, since it's Kentucky, you're assuming it's Repubs. [nobody said anything about who it was] What does that make you??? [Belligerence]
golfgod: It's a reasonable assumption.
YOU: So then Chicago is full of corrupt Dems ... Thanks! [more belligerence]
idahogie: That's dumb - this is what it means - that many pols in Chicago are Dems so any story there would likely involve them. Assuming these crimes were by the GOP was a reasonable assumption and stated that way.
YOU: You guys are so belligerent!

You are being the difficult one here - everyone else was being reasonable, and not pointing out the GOP involvement!
If you read my posts as is respond to the one before it, it shows full of assumptions. Nothing more or less.

I'll help you with the word bellgerent..."A hostile or warlike attitude, nature, or inclination; belligerency". Nothing in my posts are hostile or warlike.

As posted by:

idahogie

So where are all the right-wingers who are so concerned about voter fraud? I don't think the article mentions if any party was involved, althought it is Kentucky, so one can guess. A quick Google search reveals that only liberal blogs are mentioning it.

Why is that righties? Don't you really care about this issue? Or is it only important when it's fabricated "illegal immigrant" voter fraud? Or fabricated ACORN fraud? Or fabricated identification voter fraud?

I'm beginning to think that all the righties around here are hypocrites.

Telll me again about no one mentioning the GOP?

You also quoted me as saying: YOU: You guys are so belligerent!
Maybe you can point that one out to me.

Plus, if you're going to quote, please quote the whole section.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Telll me again about no one mentioning the GOP?
OK. I'll tell you again. Didn't mention GOP. In fact, I said that the article didn't mention party at all. But I said that given the location, you could make a guess. Which is reasonable.

Quote:
You also quoted me as saying: YOU: You guys are so belligerent!
Maybe you can point that one out to me.
That's what "tell me about it" means. To an intelligent person, anyway.

Quote:
Plus, if you're going to quote, please quote the whole section.
I'll paraphrase and summarize you if I want. I said it was a summary. The thread's only two pages long - why would I quote it in full? You can read the whole thing yourself.

The point still stands (and you've been carefully avoiding it this whole time). Why is this REAL case of voter fraud being completely ignored by the conservatives? They jump up an down like monkeys when ACORN is mentioned in the news. They demand ID checks at voting places - even though there's zero evidence of voter fraud in that context. They claim that undocumented workers are voting. Yet an actual case occurs, and they're all "ho hum ... Obama's using a teleprompter!!!"

What's with that? If you've got the courage to answer.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
OK. I'll tell you again. Didn't mention GOP. In fact, I said that the article didn't mention party at all. But I said that given the location, you could make a guess. Which is reasonable.

That's what "tell me about it" means. To an intelligent person, anyway.

I'll paraphrase and summarize you if I want. I said it was a summary. The thread's only two pages long - why would I quote it in full? You can read the whole thing yourself.

The point still stands (and you've been carefully avoiding it this whole time). Why is this REAL case of voter fraud being completely ignored by the conservatives? They jump up an down like monkeys when ACORN is mentioned in the news. They demand ID checks at voting places - even though there's zero evidence of voter fraud in that context. They claim that undocumented workers are voting. Yet an actual case occurs, and they're all "ho hum ... Obama's using a teleprompter!!!"

What's with that? If you've got the courage to answer.
Go back and read #6. You had GOP written all over it.

I also said Voter fraud is wrong no matter what side it is on.

To this intelligent person, it was sarcasm. That's what "tell me about it" means. To an intelligent person, anyway. Not being belligerent and didn't know you could read my mind.

And I could say given the location (Chicago) you could guess the corrupt party and it goes way back to Daley Sr.

Summaries are fine, but should be quoted correctly.

Personally this conservative doesn't care if Obama uses a teleprompter or doesn't.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Go back and read #6. You had GOP written all over it.
I see. I said "GOP" even though I didn't say "GOP." Gotcha.

Quote:
Summaries are fine, but should be quoted correctly.
Oh. But ... never mind. I give up.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I see. I said "GOP" even though I didn't say "GOP." Gotcha.

Oh. But ... never mind. I give up.
I guess semantics are ok if you use them but not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections