Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
We're not all like Bush and Palin.

Also...do you not see the consequences of a one-party system?
Really? You didn't vote for Bush Jr. & Bush Sr. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I trust Pew more than the WP:

Pew Research Center: GOP Party Identification Slips Nationwide and in Pennsylvania

It is 33%-24% according to them..

According to the poll, both the Democrats and Republicans are losing members who identify themselves as such. Over the past months, the number of people who identity themselves as Independent has soared with Democrat and Republican losses.
You are quoting the April poll...

The same article you linked clearly states that the total of all the Pew polls for the year give Democrats a 35-23 edge - very in-line with the article I quoted.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
I voted for Bush Jr twice for President and once for Governor, yes. But my support for him ended by about 2005-2006....to an extent even earlier. In 2004, my Bush vote was simply choosing the lesser of two evils. Same with my vote in 2008, sadly.

I wasn't old enough to vote in 88 or 92.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You are quoting the April poll...

The same article you linked clearly states that the total of all the Pew polls for the year give Democrats a 35-23 edge - very in-line with the article I quoted.
April showing a higher percentage of Republicans when compared to January-April indicates a slightly improving trend for the GOP.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:18 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
I voted for Bush Sr., many Americans did. As a matter of fact he had quite the electoral landslide. I voted for Perot in '92, Clinton in '96, Bush Jr. in '00, and was in the hospital on election day in 2004 and did not vote.

As a matter of fact I often find it interesting that Bush Sr. managed to lose in '92, and that nobody complained about Clinton only getting 43% of the popular vote (not even a majority). I suppose the 'read my lips' fiasco really did him in..

Old 05-01-2009, 10:29 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
We need to focus our efforts on what we need to do to keep our foot firmly planted on the neck of the GOP.....
We don't have to do anything! The Republican party is self-destructing & Democrats\ Independents\ Greens can only watch the pain. "No pain no gain" A very bright conservative columnists, David Brooks, said today on PBS that he believes the metamorphosis will take at least 2 more elections & likely longer. Brooks said the exodus will continue & that Specter hasn't change one bit. It is the Republican party that has changed radically since the Dixiecrats were wooed into the fold [the Party of Lincoln that they detested for over 100 years]. But Nixon agreed to cuddle racism\ ignorance\ bigotry & now the GOP is splintering apart. I welcome the Republicans who have left [and the number is very very long to even include a senior GOP senator\ Bush's press secretary]. Specter is representing his state. The Republican party rejects Pennsylvania as well as the entire mid-Atlantic\ Northeast.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:51 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
Please tell me what would be the distinct positions of these three parties ( Democrats, Independents, and Greens ).

In what ways would they be in opposition? Enough so that each of these Parties would have truly differentiated ( and devoted ) groups of voters?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:58 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
April showing a higher percentage of Republicans when compared to January-April indicates a slightly improving trend for the GOP.
What a stretch in logic...

You can find data points where the GOP decline is unmistakeable... try comparing the October 2008 poll results with the April 2009 results - the decline is dramatic.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
What a stretch in logic...

You can find data points where the GOP decline is unmistakeable... try comparing the October 2008 poll results with the April 2009 results - the decline is dramatic.
It's simple math.

If, for example, support is 40% in January, February, and March and 45% in April, the average will be 41.25%. 45% indicates higher support than 41.25% (I'm not using actual numbers...just trying to make my point).

Higher numbers for April than the average indicate support is increasing - maybe not from October-April but from either January-April, February-April, or March-April, it has to be according to the stats.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,481,378 times
Suppose the Republican Party goes into extinction. Exactly what you all want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Please tell me what would be the distinct positions of these three parties ( Democrats, Independents, and Greens ).

In what ways would they be in opposition to each other? Enough so that each of these Parties would have truly differentiated ( and devoted ) divided groups of voters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections