Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times

Advertisements

Obama now at less tahn 50% in Virgina which is 33% republican ;'33% democrat and 33% independent like Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:00 PM

2,072 posts, read 6,701,611 times
Default obama is garbage

Obama is total trash! I'll believe the polls right after we vote again!

Basically Obama has done everything he said he was not going to do, and in fact, does exactly what Bush was doing, and people clap?

Oh, well, what do you expect from people who are so bereft of their own life they will risk getting in accidnets not to miss lost. (The same people who deny electing Bush. Twice.)

See you in four years, when no one will admit to voting for him.

Today is my friday. Obama got one thing right... Change, because I am not seeing any cash! your dollar today will be worth less tomorrow.

Obama the lame puppet on a string!!!! Vote this idiot out ASAP!

Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,719,019 times
I think it's natural that, when the economy is going through its next natural drop people are going to sour on the figurehead. I know several financial analysts who have said time and again, "This isn't over yet", and they were right.

People will blame Obama, but frankly it's beyond him and something the markets need to do on their own. His efforts to use the crisis to rebuild infrastructure, expand renewable energy economies, and prevent this type of situation in the future are important.

I'm certainly happy I voted for him and I'm happy with most of what he's done to redefine America's direction.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Ok lets give you a chance. What exactly has he done to redefine America's direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think it's natural that, when the economy is going through its next natural drop people are going to sour on the figurehead. I know several financial analysts who have said time and again, "This isn't over yet", and they were right.

People will blame Obama, but frankly it's beyond him and something the markets need to do on their own. His efforts to use the crisis to rebuild infrastructure, expand renewable energy economies, and prevent this type of situation in the future are important.

I'm certainly happy I voted for him and I'm happy with most of what he's done to redefine America's direction.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,856 times
Quote:

When the Economy was declining before 1-20-2009, it was all W's fault. Now that the Economy has declined since Obama took office, the President has nothing to do with the Economy? Is this how it works?

You couldn't be more wrong. The Economy was going to continue to be weak after 1-20-2009 no matter who won. I grant that. But, things are getting worse and are going to stay bad for a longer time than they would have otherwise BECAUSE of Obama and his horrendous anti growth policies. Just look around: Cap and Trade, bigger Government, EFCA/card check, higher taxes, national Healthcare, amnesty, unconstitutional take overs of Auto companies, rewriting bankruptcy laws. Not all of this has happened, but the business world does not know what to expect from Obama.

First off Obama is not doing anything significant to strengthen infrastructure. His energy policy could not be any worse than it is. He is against: coal, increased refining, drilling (offshore and domestic) and nuclear. Renewable energy can not (at least now) power this country. If it could (at a fair price), the market would allow it to do so. He and the (D) party are taking land off line.

In addition, infrastructure and energy had nothing to do with the current Economy crisis. It started with the Federal reserve. If you want to avoid this again, you should back Ron Paul and his desire to abolish (or, at the very least, audit) the Fed. You really need to read up and understand what's going on. If you knew what was going on, you would not have supported Obama in the Fall of 2008 and would not be supporting him now.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
When the Economy was declining before 1-20-2009, it was all W's fault. Now that the Economy has declined since Obama took office, the President has nothing to do with the Economy? Is this how it works?

You couldn't be more wrong. The Economy was going to continue to be weak after 1-20-2009 no matter who won. I grant that. But, things are getting worse and are going to stay bad for a longer time than they would have otherwise BECAUSE of Obama and his horrendous anti growth policies. Just look around: Cap and Trade, bigger Government, EFCA/card check, higher taxes, national Healthcare, amnesty, unconstitutional take overs of Auto companies, rewriting bankruptcy laws. Not all of this has happened, but the business world does not know what to expect from Obama.

First off Obama is not doing anything significant to strengthen infrastructure. His energy policy could not be any worse than it is. He is against: coal, increased refining, drilling (offshore and domestic) and nuclear. Renewable energy can not (at least now) power this country. If it could (at a fair price), the market would allow it to do so. He and the (D) party are taking land off line.

In addition, infrastructure and energy had nothing to do with the current Economy crisis. It started with the Federal reserve. If you want to avoid this again, you should back Ron Paul and his desire to abolish (or, at the very least, audit) the Fed. You really need to read up and understand what's going on. If you knew what was going on, you would not have supported Obama in the Fall of 2008 and would not be supporting him now.
I never said the collapsed economy was all Bush's fault. It has been predicted since at least the 1980s as part of a larger 80 year cycle. I have only claimed Bush could have done more to protect the nation from such violent swings.

As to your larger point, you're a conservative. That's fine. You think coal and oil and drilling is going to solve our problems. I know they will not. It is a primitive civilization that relies on such archaic energy supplies.

I look to ingenuity of the markets to create the technologies to simply stop polluting. Whether its impacts are global or only regional, they are negative and it's time to evolve.

That's good to question the validity of some of the proposed initiatives, such as cap-and-trade. There's a cost / benefit to any policy, including not doing anything about getting off oil and consequently ending our financial support of terrorism (which was Bush's policy).

In the end, though, the problems we have evolved because deregulation and greed became too powerful. I believe we now need someone who is comfortable with re-regulating and using the levers of government to prop up the failing economy so the lows aren't so low (the down side is that when the economy is really churning, the highs are not so high - which is when we will need conservatism again). Right now, though, I am very comfortable with Obama in control.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Ok lets give you a chance. What exactly has he done to redefine America's direction?
Your smug certainty is rather cute.

Here's a few:

redistributed the military to most logically fight the war on terror

redefined our relationships with numerous countries (results pending - but no doubt new relationships are forming after 8 years of pure hatred of the U.S.)

Is not appeasing anybody, but simply demonstrating the courage to admit mistakes and, in so doing, encouraging other nations to admit their mistakes and move forward

detached science from policy (Bush administration suppressed climate research to support their pro-oil interests).

pushing to rise above the barbarism of a society that forces its citizens to compete against one another for their very health.

Rebuilding our dilapidated infrastructure

Expanding rail transit to make our economies function better (the only development expanding right now is around transit)

Saved our last remaining industrial base (and intends to get government out as soon as possible - let's hope he follows through).

Made major investments (not just lip service) and a cap-and-trade initiative to help stimulate a renewable energy economy that truly weans us off oil and Middle East dependence.

...and gave the orders to take out pirates and save one of our brave captains moving the economy over water, which was just kind of bad ass (especially in light of the fact that many of the Nobamatrons on here were convinced he would try to negotiate.

I think Obama knows what he's doing and that it's not always going to be popular in a world that demands instant gratification. But I see the bigger picture and I like it (so long as the economy recovers and this excessive spending ends, I'll put up with it temporarily).

Old 07-11-2009, 12:33 AM

Now I'm confused, are you making an argument for or against Obama? He just put another $775B out on debt. The biggest buyer of US debt is China; we're overleveraged and they know it. They're laughing their asses off about Cap & Trade too, knowing that they're going to up their emissions to take hold of the global energy market too, while we install self imposed limits to energy production. Essentially we've increased our debt by $1trillion and purposefully reduced our GDP. The household equivalent of maxing out all your credit cards and volunteering for a pay cut in your salary. Smart!

And on the war, First: war, like it or not, is an industry in itself. Let's count direct and indirect employees resulting from Iraq compared to Obama-debt. Second: I voted for Bush both times.I proudly stand by that decision and always will. I didn't hear Iran talking this tough in the Bush years & there sure as hell weren't any North Korean missile tests aimed at Hawaii in the Bush years. I'm not going to resort to name calling or accuse you of being naive or a moron for voting/loving Obama. And I'm not going to go N2 global economics and/or standing up to global bullies - just please understand that apologizing for America hasn't deterred anyone from testing Obama's rookie ass. And a word of advice in planning for a successful future: learn Mandarin. Let's talk in 2012. At least there'll be one more election before the world ends on 12/21. Winner takes all.

Quote:
Your smug certainty is rather cute.

Here's a few:

redistributed the military to most logically fight the war on terror

redefined our relationships with numerous countries (results pending - but no doubt new relationships are forming after 8 years of pure hatred of the U.S.)

Is not appeasing anybody, but simply demonstrating the courage to admit mistakes and, in so doing, encouraging other nations to admit their mistakes and move forward

detached science from policy (Bush administration suppressed climate research to support their pro-oil interests).

pushing to rise above the barbarism of a society that forces its citizens to compete against one another for their very health.

Rebuilding our dilapidated infrastructure

Expanding rail transit to make our economies function better (the only development expanding right now is around transit)

Saved our last remaining industrial base (and intends to get government out as soon as possible - let's hope he follows through).

Made major investments (not just lip service) and a cap-and-trade initiative to help stimulate a renewable energy economy that truly weans us off oil and Middle East dependence.

...and gave the orders to take out pirates and save one of our brave captains moving the economy over water, which was just kind of bad ass (especially in light of the fact that many of the Nobamatrons on here were convinced he would try to negotiate.

I think Obama knows what he's doing and that it's not always going to be popular in a world that demands instant gratification. But I see the bigger picture and I like it (so long as the economy recovers and this excessive spending ends, I'll put up with it temporarily).

Old 07-11-2009, 05:46 PM

817 posts, read 854,053 times
Quote:

The only thing that matters is if people are better off in 4 years when the election comes around. If they are he has a great chance of winning. If people are worse off or not any better, he'll suffer the same fate as Carter.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,856 times
Quote:

As to your larger point, you're a conservative. That's fine. You think coal and oil and drilling is going to solve our problems. I know they will not. It is a primitive civilization that relies on such archaic energy supplies.

I look to ingenuity of the markets to create the technologies to simply stop polluting. Whether its impacts are global or only regional, they are negative and it's time to evolve.

That's good to question the validity of some of the proposed initiatives, such as cap-and-trade. There's a cost / benefit to any policy, including not doing anything about getting off oil and consequently ending our financial support of terrorism (which was Bush's policy).

In the end, though, the problems we have evolved because deregulation and greed became too powerful. I believe we now need someone who is comfortable with re-regulating and using the levers of government to prop up the failing economy so the lows aren't so low (the down side is that when the economy is really churning, the highs are not so high - which is when we will need conservatism again). Right now, though, I am very comfortable with Obama in control.

Obama's energy policy could not be any worse. He opposes: coal, nuclear, increased refining and more drilling. I have no problem with renewable energy, but it is not practical right now. If it were, we would be using it. We should use every approach we can. Obama's energy policy is to skyrocket prices for the traditional forms of energy to force people to decrease consumption. This Cap and Trade bill is considered by many the worst bill to ever pass the House of representatives.

We are over regulated in America. That's one of the reasons we are not an attractive place to do business. There were over 200 regulators of Fannie and Freddie. When the GOP under W wanted to tighten oversight of the GSEs, it was the (D) party that blocked it. The root case of this mess is the Federal reserve and its easy money policy. Read Meltdown by Tom Woods or listen to some clips from Peter Schiff if you want to know what is going on.

Blaming an economic downturn on greed is like blaming a plane crash on gravity. Greed is a good thing and, without Government manipulation, it is balanced by fear. Government took the fear out, through Fannie/Freddie, the Fed and other means. How often do people ask for paycuts? Does that make them greedy?

If Obama's policies were pro growth, we would be growing by now. He has wasted TRILLIONS of dollars and things have only gotten worse. Considering the W bailouts and stimuli (that Obama supported as well), we could have given everyone a tax holiday for a couple years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections