Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:26 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Obama's energy policy could not be any worse. He opposes: coal, nuclear, increased refining and more drilling. I have no problem with renewable energy, but it is not practical right now. If it were, we would be using it. We should use every approach we can. Obama's energy policy is to skyrocket prices for the traditional forms of energy to force people to decrease consumption. This Cap and Trade bill is considered by many the worst bill to ever pass the House of representatives.

We are over regulated in America. That's one of the reasons we are not an attractive place to do business. There were over 200 regulators of Fannie and Freddie. When the GOP under W wanted to tighten oversight of the GSEs, it was the (D) party that blocked it. The root case of this mess is the Federal reserve and its easy money policy. Read Meltdown by Tom Woods or listen to some clips from Peter Schiff if you want to know what is going on.

Blaming an economic downturn on greed is like blaming a plane crash on gravity. Greed is a good thing and, without Government manipulation, it is balanced by fear. Government took the fear out, through Fannie/Freddie, the Fed and other means. How often do people ask for paycuts? Does that make them greedy?

If Obama's policies were pro growth, we would be growing by now. He has wasted TRILLIONS of dollars and things have only gotten worse. Considering the W bailouts and stimuli (that Obama supported as well), we could have given everyone a tax holiday for a couple years.
Very well thought out... its a shame that we have such idiots in the White House and Congress... but what do you expect when we have ideological sheep as voters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Obama's energy policy could not be any worse. He opposes: coal, nuclear, increased refining and more drilling. I have no problem with renewable energy, but it is not practical right now. If it were, we would be using it. We should use every approach we can. Obama's energy policy is to skyrocket prices for the traditional forms of energy to force people to decrease consumption. This Cap and Trade bill is considered by many the worst bill to ever pass the House of representatives.

We are over regulated in America. That's one of the reasons we are not an attractive place to do business. There were over 200 regulators of Fannie and Freddie. When the GOP under W wanted to tighten oversight of the GSEs, it was the (D) party that blocked it. The root case of this mess is the Federal reserve and its easy money policy. Read Meltdown by Tom Woods or listen to some clips from Peter Schiff if you want to know what is going on.

Blaming an economic downturn on greed is like blaming a plane crash on gravity. Greed is a good thing and, without Government manipulation, it is balanced by fear. Government took the fear out, through Fannie/Freddie, the Fed and other means. How often do people ask for paycuts? Does that make them greedy?

If Obama's policies were pro growth, we would be growing by now. He has wasted TRILLIONS of dollars and things have only gotten worse. Considering the W bailouts and stimuli (that Obama supported as well), we could have given everyone a tax holiday for a couple years.
Well, again, like I said. You're a died-in-the-wool conservative. There's nothing really unique in what you're posting here. Ayn Rand warmed over.

We could easily be off oil and onto renewables, but those who control the wealth and power fight with all they have to maintain the status quo. That's why you need initiaitives from government to prod them along and create new jobs. Government has helped pave the way for every new economic era in U.S. history, from the railroads to the highways (all government spending, despite people's belief that cars are somehow a bastion of individuality) to the Internet to now renewables.

We are at the dawn of a new era, and I suspect history will show that Obama greased the wheels for America to lead the world in renewable energies.

We need to progress, and if the markets wish to hold on until we drain every last drop of oil, then we need the public (represented by government) to help them along. We simply don't have time to wait for these people who scream "drill baby drill" and ignore the data that suggests drilling every drop in U.S. territory would only reduce fuel prices by about 2 cents over ten years.

Not the solution.

Also, we certainly wouldn't be growing by now if Obama had different policies. I can assure you we would not be growing if McCain were in charge. Both he and Bush supported massive stimulus packages, so I don't really see where you think they would be doing much different.

Just remember - unemployment PEAKED over 2 years into Reagan's term. Over two years, and you're screaming Chicken Little just six months into crisis years in the making.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Now I'm confused, are you making an argument for or against Obama? He just put another $775B out on debt. The biggest buyer of US debt is China; we're overleveraged and they know it. They're laughing their asses off about Cap & Trade too, knowing that they're going to up their emissions to take hold of the global energy market too, while we install self imposed limits to energy production. Essentially we've increased our debt by $1trillion and purposefully reduced our GDP. The household equivalent of maxing out all your credit cards and volunteering for a pay cut in your salary. Smart!

And on the war, First: war, like it or not, is an industry in itself. Let's count direct and indirect employees resulting from Iraq compared to Obama-debt. Second: I voted for Bush both times.I proudly stand by that decision and always will. I didn't hear Iran talking this tough in the Bush years & there sure as hell weren't any North Korean missile tests aimed at Hawaii in the Bush years. I'm not going to resort to name calling or accuse you of being naive or a moron for voting/loving Obama. And I'm not going to go N2 global economics and/or standing up to global bullies - just please understand that apologizing for America hasn't deterred anyone from testing Obama's rookie ass. And a word of advice in planning for a successful future: learn Mandarin. Let's talk in 2012. At least there'll be one more election before the world ends on 12/21. Winner takes all.
...and Bush also promoted an almost trillion dollar stimulus package and propped up the auto industry from White House funds when Congress wouldn't act.

I realize the concerns we all should have about the debt. I guess I accept their decision to pursue Keynesian economic models. We'll see how it plays out. Obama's committed to reduce the deficit before his first term is up.

I suspect if he doesn't it will be his last term, but I support efforts to let the only entity capable of borrowing and spending in this economy do so, even if it is at short-term risk. Many governments have done this throughout history.

As for your childish passive-aggressive barb about how you're NOT going to call me a moron for "loving" Obama (what is it with you people who think those of us who support a wise, progressive leader with a vision for taking our country into the 21st century also get wet in the panties over him?), I will only say this:

Grow up. The brilliance of the American system is that when one ideology over-extends itself and cripples our nation (as Bush's brand of conservatism undeniably did) we have another ideology to come in and balance things out.

That's what we're doing now. Balancing things out - just like Reagan did in the 80s and FDR did in the 30s. Eventually we will need to swing back, but for right now we need liberalism because conservatism grew too greedy and powerful.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 AM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
We are at the dawn of a new era, and I suspect history will show that Obama greased the wheels for America to lead the world in renewable energies.

We need to progress, and if the markets wish to hold on until we drain every last drop of oil, then we need the public (represented by government) to help them along. We simply don't have time to wait for these people who scream "drill baby drill" and ignore the data that suggests drilling every drop in U.S. territory would only reduce fuel prices by about 2 cents over ten years.

McCain and W do suck, but they're NOT conservatives (though they are still better than Obama). Us conservatives are right (as in correct, not the direction). Liberals are wrong; look at the municipalities and states they have destroyed in America (Cali, Detroit, Michigan, NJ, NY, etc) Scwarzenegger is a liberal even though he has an (R) behind his name. Liberals (R)s are no better than liberal (D)s. Even much of Europe and the USSR have realized that state control of the Economy is bad.

If you want Government to step in the energy markets, then support nuclear energy! Obama is a disaster; we're down 2.5 million jobs since he was sworn in. He has wasted trillions of dollars and grown Government control very quickly.

Obama is such a moron that he said he would not have done anything differently with regards to the stimulus and that the stimulus was working just as he expected. Unemployment is nowhere near the peak b/c Obama is promoting horrendous policies that are going to decrease hiring. Why would any business owner hire new people today with higher taxes, higher deficits, higher interest rates, higher energy prices, more regulations, potentially more unions, a weaker currency and other problems in the future? If you can explain how these policies mentioned above will spur hiring by businesses, I'd love to hear it.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
McCain and W do suck, but they're NOT conservatives (though they are still better than Obama). Us conservatives are right (as in correct, not the direction). Liberals are wrong; look at the municipalities and states they have destroyed in America (Cali, Detroit, Michigan, NJ, NY, etc) Scwarzenegger is a liberal even though he has an (R) behind his name. Liberals (R)s are no better than liberal (D)s. Even much of Europe and the USSR have realized that state control of the Economy is bad.

If you want Government to step in the energy markets, then support nuclear energy! Obama is a disaster; we're down 2.5 million jobs since he was sworn in. He has wasted trillions of dollars and grown Government control very quickly.

Obama is such a moron that he said he would not have done anything differently with regards to the stimulus and that the stimulus was working just as he expected. Unemployment is nowhere near the peak b/c Obama is promoting horrendous policies that are going to decrease hiring. Why would any business owner hire new people today with higher taxes, higher deficits, higher interest rates, higher energy prices, more regulations, potentially more unions, a weaker currency and other problems in the future? If you can explain how these policies mentioned above will spur hiring by businesses, I'd love to hear it.
Shall I point out that the highest rates of poverty exist in the deep South?

The wealthiest states in the U.S. (in order):

Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Alaska (government handouts involved), California, Virginia, and Minnesota.

Almost all liberal states.

The poorest states in the U.S. (in order):

Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

Almost all conservative states.

In addition, conservative states receive the most federal handouts per what they contribute while progressive states pay significantly more in taxes than they receive in benefits.

The weathiest cities in the country are also liberal - Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, New York, DC, Boston, Chicago, etc...

You are only seeing what you wish to see and confusing old-school union / welfare cities with true progressive / liberal values.

To say that one ideology is "right" and the other is "wrong" is silly and shows that you've drunk the kool aid and can't see beyond your own partisan conditioning.

I think it's time to rethink your ideology.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:20 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
California is "wealthy"?

Somebody is delusional... or living in the past. Or a liberal, meaning both.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
California is "wealthy"?

Somebody is delusional... or living in the past. Or a liberal, meaning both.
per capita income.

Stop insulting people who think differently from you as if you're a child. Have a mature conversation. I'm not a liberal, nor a conservative.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 PM

817 posts, read 853,249 times
Quote:
Shall I point out that the highest rates of poverty exist in the deep South?

The wealthiest states in the U.S. (in order):

Maryland, New Jersey, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Alaska (government handouts involved), California, Virginia, and Minnesota.

Almost all liberal states.

The poorest states in the U.S. (in order):

Mississippi, West Virginia, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

Almost all conservative states.

In addition, conservative states receive the most federal handouts per what they contribute while progressive states pay significantly more in taxes than they receive in benefits.

The weathiest cities in the country are also liberal - Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, New York, DC, Boston, Chicago, etc...

You are only seeing what you wish to see and confusing old-school union / welfare cities with true progressive / liberal values.

To say that one ideology is "right" and the other is "wrong" is silly and shows that you've drunk the kool aid and can't see beyond your own partisan conditioning.

I think it's time to rethink your ideology.
You're right. They're BOTH wrong.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
You're right. They're BOTH wrong.
I would personally say that neither holds all the truth, yet both sides of the aisle have important aspects of it and are wrong on other aspects.

But each has a toolkit we can dig into at different times for different situations, so they're good to keep around. We've learned already that when either political ideology grows too powerful our country goes out of control. The Democratic sweep was a response to the failures of the conservatives in complete control, and no doubt in 2010 or at least 2012 we will see a greater balance between liberal and conservative representation. That's when Obama will really succeed just like Clinton did.

We need the balance and the tension. Washington recognized that centuries ago and fostered that tension.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Succeed like Clinton?? OK, Lets see, hmmm. The Reason we are the greatest nation in the world is because of our National defense. Clinton was the dumb person that lowered our Defense by him closing like 100 different army bases, from the U.S.S Cole getting bombed and him doing nothing, by the first Bombing of the Towers. HE DID NOTHING, so 9/11 was bound to happen. It happened only 7 months into Bush's term so its impossible for it to be his fault. It was the 2 terms that Clinton held. He didnt care he was busy getting busy with his aide!

Quote:
I would personally say that neither holds all the truth, yet both sides of the aisle have important aspects of it and are wrong on other aspects.

But each has a toolkit we can dig into at different times for different situations, so they're good to keep around. We've learned already that when either political ideology grows too powerful our country goes out of control. The Democratic sweep was a response to the failures of the conservatives in complete control, and no doubt in 2010 or at least 2012 we will see a greater balance between liberal and conservative representation. That's when Obama will really succeed just like Clinton did.

We need the balance and the tension. Washington recognized that centuries ago and fostered that tension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections