Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,382,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Agreed. I knew many conservatives that would not come out an vote for McCain because he was just another RINO and they felt it would be no different then voting for a Democrat. I held my nose and voted for him only as a vote against hussein obama.
I gripped my nose so tight that people noticed how red it was when I came out of the booth.

I wonder how many conservatives failed to do that are now joining the OMG voters who did go ahead and vote for Obama because of change but not the kind we have seen happen since that fateful day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,851,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If Obama continues to take the country to the far left, do you think a Blue Dog Democrat could successfully challenge him in the Democrat primaries? How about if the 2010 election results go Republican?

I don't really know any of the Dogs to make a guess myself but if they do, it could be the Republicans worst nightmare. As I understand it, these Dogs are fiscally conservative but liberal everything else. Is that right or are they conservative on other issues, too?

See, I'm thinking Obama is the "conservative" Republican candidate's best friend because of sharp, clear as day, differences (unlike McCain who had a squishy liberal/conservative history). But if a Dog defeats Obama in the primaries, that might make it tougher for a conservative Republican to win and wouldn't that be interesting?

If the Republicans put up an urban elitist northeast liberal (they'll call it a moderate) Republican and the Democrats put up a country boy conservative Democrat wouldn't that create all kinds of chaos in the polls, schizophrenia in the biased media and C-D posters who are beside themselves regarding who they support?
The Republican would win that hands down because Dems like me would simply stay home- and I have voted since Jimmy Carter first ran and never stayed at home (although I did vote for 2 Republicans during that time). But I am not going to vote for a Republican or a wanna be Republican. It was hard enough putting up with Bill and Hill for 8 years.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Yes, that is why it is time to put up someone with clear, defined differences. A moderate Libertarian (which is a lot more right than most Republicans) would do the trick, and he/she could run on a platform of "Change".
You forget one thing- the Republican base is made up largely of nutcase religious people. They are not going to stand for an openly Libertarian candidate that is pro gay and pro abortion rights. A moderate Republican is a dead Republican in many cases. Ask Lincoln Chafee or Alan Spector.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,382,153 times
Quote:
I disagree, I think the amount of people who voted against him or not at all because he was black was lower than the amount of people who voted for him or voted for the first time because he was black.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/us...s/02first.html
Survey: Black Voters Key to Election, Swing States : NPR
Your links were to left leaning publications but I saw nothing there that I didn't already think were true. Since it has been reported that 95% of blacks voted for Obama it seems to me that they were, along with all 18-30 voters in the outcome of that election. Throw in all the others who voted for Obama because they wanted to take part in the election of the first black president, not considering Bubba Clinton's assertion, and voted for him because of his race. I see mounting numbers of people who voted for him because of his skin color and his talk about change, that didn't really point out what all that change would be.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 AM

769 posts, read 890,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You forget one thing- the Republican base is made up largely of nutcase religious people. They are not going to stand for an openly Libertarian candidate that is pro gay and pro abortion rights. A moderate Republican is a dead Republican in many cases. Ask Lincoln Chafee or Alan Spector.

They will if that Libertarian is up against Obama who is the same. We need to cut out the people who vote solely on anit-abortion/gay basis by having both candidates pro, then people can vote on matters the government should actually be associated with, fiscal policy and foreign policy.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If Obama continues to take the country to the far left, do you think a Blue Dog Democrat could successfully challenge him in the Democrat primaries? How about if the 2010 election results go Republican?

I don't really know any of the Dogs to make a guess myself but if they do, it could be the Republicans worst nightmare. As I understand it, these Dogs are fiscally conservative but liberal everything else. Is that right or are they conservative on other issues, too?

See, I'm thinking Obama is the "conservative" Republican candidate's best friend because of sharp, clear as day, differences (unlike McCain who had a squishy liberal/conservative history). But if a Dog defeats Obama in the primaries, that might make it tougher for a conservative Republican to win and wouldn't that be interesting?

If the Republicans put up an urban elitist northeast liberal (they'll call it a moderate) Republican and the Democrats put up a country boy conservative Democrat wouldn't that create all kinds of chaos in the polls, schizophrenia in the biased media and C-D posters who are beside themselves regarding who they support?
I would like you to tell me exactly how Obama has taken the country to the "far left"? If he has, please tell me how? What has he done to make you think this. Actually, being from the "left", I find him way too damn conservative and way too Republican kissing for my taste. Let's look at what he said and what he has done:

1. I am going to get the troops out if Iraq and end that mess. We still have 130,000 troops in Iraq, no exit plan and it does not look like we will EVER be out of there.
2. I support a universal health care system for all Americans. We all see where that is going. Fumbled by HIS OWN PARTY. My prediction is that he will get something he can sign that will not amount to any change at all and he will sign it and call it a "victory" but the only people celebrating will be the Republicans.
3. I support an expansion of the Schip children's healthcare program. Well, he got this one 1/2 right. He did expand it but left in place the ban on children who are LEGAL immigrants from joining it. This irks the hell out of me because my nephews cannot join it although me, my wife and their mother all have to pay taxes for it so that the kids of Wal*Mart employees can get it.
4. We cannot continue to bail out big business and turn our backs on Main Street! Well he has continued and even expanded bailing out big business. There is always money to help the rich. But for us..... we are still waiting.
5. I support the right of workers to decide if they wish to join a union. He has not even made mention of it since he won.

So if this is taking the country "far left", I would like you to tell me what "right" means to you. He has taken the country only a little to the left of total facisim but it is still very much on the right.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
They will if that Libertarian is up against Obama who is the same. We need to cut out the people who vote solely on anit-abortion/gay basis by having both candidates pro, then people can vote on matters the government should actually be associated with, fiscal policy and foreign policy.
No they won't. They will run a 3rd Party right winger or they will stay home- like they did with McCain.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 AM

769 posts, read 890,090 times
Quote:
No they won't. They will run a 3rd Party right winger or they will stay home- like they did with McCain.

Good The GOP needs some revamping. After some remolding and Obama's help painting the Democratic party as the home of far left extremists the GOP can move on as a fiscally conservative "common sense" party.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM

439 posts, read 444,567 times
Quote:
I support the right of workers to decide if they wish to join a union. He has not even made mention of it since he won.
Do you believe they should have the legal right to a secret ballot when they vote whether or not to form a union?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Joe White View Post
Do you believe they should have the legal right to a secret ballot when they vote whether or not to form a union?
I don't believe an employer has the right to interfere in an organizing effort or delay certification as they do now. I would support a compromise wherein the employees could join and certify the union as their rep on the basis of 50 plus 1 card check and then have a secret ballot to "stay or decertify" afterwards. This would preserve the secret ballot and remove the employer's efforts- often illegal- to deny employees their rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections