Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
What you find is that people are far more blinded by their idealistic ideology than they are aware of reality.

You're right. It is a joke that there are people in this country who actually think we had some magical free market in which the government had no influence until the evil Dear Leader Obama (as some call him) came in.

It's a joke. These people are clueless about politics and the depth of integration between government and business going back decades upon decades. Businesses have no ideology. If government will give them money, they'll take it. They always have.

I got more than angry last night when I watched the news. I got depressed. Maybe I should stop caring so much, but this affects me personally. So when I saw a woman on Medicare saying that she didn't care about the 47 million people who don't have insurance, I wanted to get up and put my fist through the TV. (I pay for health insurance, but it stinks & it's very expensive.)

On another thread, someone told me that the people currently on Medicare paid for it. First of all, Medicare didn't exist before 1966. So the people in their 80s and 90s were working well before they began contributing to it.

Another reason saying "they worked for it" is often a lot of bullcrap is that you only have to work a total of 10 years in your lifetime. (40 qualifying quarters) But even if you never worked a day in your life, you can get Medicare if you are married to or were married to someone who qualifies for Medicare. Since I sold Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans for 2 years, I met a lot of people who were covered only because their spouses qualified, even ex-husbands. In fact, I enrolled people who weren't even Americans!! For example, did you know that a Canadian who has not paid one single dime into our Social Security system still qualifies for free Medicare Part A coverage under the qualifying spouse rule? I didn't realize that until I got into the business and met a few people who were not citizens, but received Medicare from our government.

Now I'm being told as a 58 year old American who worked for over 30 years that I don't deserve affordable health care when millions of people are on socialized medicine paid for by my taxes. I can't think of a word to describe how I feel about the protesters. Selfish? Ignorant? Well, actually I can, but they're mostly 4 letter words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 01:50 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,564,350 times
The most constant element of all of these polls that are being debated is, if it favors your view it is sound. If it opposes your view, radicals must be skewing it.

Depending on who commissions the poll, they will all come out as desired.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:50 AM

2,072 posts, read 6,700,637 times
I agree Healthcare should be reformed! But for one thing the Illegals should not get care period!! They broke the law by sneaking like a thief into America! They do not belong here! Come in legally as my relatives did! As My Dad did! If it was me I would say " Sorry Amigo your not getting free coverage! If they ask why, then tell them! " Amigo We Cant Afford to!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I got more than angry last night when I watched the news. I got depressed. Maybe I should stop caring so much, but this affects me personally. So when I saw a woman on Medicare saying that she didn't care about the 47 million people who don't have insurance, I wanted to get up and put my fist through the TV. (I pay for health insurance, but it stinks & it's very expensive.)

On another thread, someone told me that the people currently on Medicare paid for it. First of all, Medicare didn't exist before 1966. So the people in their 80s and 90s were working well before they began contributing to it.

Another reason saying "they worked for it" is often a lot of bullcrap is that you only have to work a total of 10 years in your lifetime. (40 qualifying quarters) But even if you never worked a day in your life, you can get Medicare if you are married to or were married to someone who qualifies for Medicare. Since I sold Medicare Supplements and Medicare Advantage plans for 2 years, I met a lot of people who were covered only because their spouses qualified, even ex-husbands. In fact, I enrolled people who weren't even Americans!! For example, did you know that a Canadian who has not paid one single dime into our Social Security system still qualifies for free Medicare Part A coverage under the qualifying spouse rule? I didn't realize that until I got into the business and met a few people who were not citizens, but received Medicare from our government.

Now I'm being told as a 58 year old American who worked for over 30 years that I don't deserve affordable health care when millions of people are on socialized medicine paid for by my taxes. I can't think of a word to describe how I feel about the protesters. Selfish? Ignorant? Well, actually I can, but they're mostly 4 letter words!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:07 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Default If I was a yahoo, I might agree.

If I was a desperate yahoo with no credibility, because my party elected and supported the village idiot TWICE, I might tend to agree with you. Thank God I am not though and don't have such disgraceful instincts of that segment that is the Right.

Republicans stink. Red states, wrong. Neocons, wrong, yahoos, wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections