Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you always vote with your Party?
Yes in all local and national elections 6 18.18%
No I vote for Canidates in both Parties 9 27.27%
I vote for Canidates not Parties 15 45.45%
I vote on the canidates based on their platforms 10 30.30%
I only vote for who my friends/family vote for 0 0%
Other 2 6.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jufrbo View Post
I vote Libertarian for president, I vote for Democrats at the state and local level, (even though city elections are nonpartisan its always obvious) and Republicans for US House and Senate. Kinda all over the place, but I have my reasons.
well no one can accuse you of being too one sided, that's for sure.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I have always voted Republican (in NY and MD) at the state and county level because I'm big on law and order even if that factor for selecting someone seems passe these days. I'm a good bet to vote for an ex-District Attorney with a good conviction percentage for other offices at the state level. I also vote for people who have a record of efficiency and effectiveness at all levels of government and who won't raise my taxes.

Many years ago I voted for the guys I thought would give me a pay raise as President. I haven't done that in quite awhile because it finally dawned on me the pay raise doesn't make up for their taxes and the business taxes that are passed down to me as a consumer.

I would vote for a conservative Democrat (based on his record, not his campaign speeches) over a liberal Republican for PRESIDENT. I would never do that for the House or Senate. Too much pressure and incentive to flip from the President, party leaders and outside interests. In other words, Blue Dogs my patootey! What good are their conservative convictions and promises if they turn with a little influence/finger breaking/incentive once in Washington? Then they attain a liberal voting record and I would never vote for them for President. A conservative Democrat governor, with a good conservative resume of actions, I would consider but he'd never make it through his primary.

I don't think my conservative two-term Democrat governor is awful. He was in office before I arrived here so I don't know who opposed him. He's the one who in 2009 publicly called out the White House on the "mother of all unfunded mandates" for the medicaid proposals in Obamacare. If he made it through two terms and we still don't have a state income tax plus he actively recruits businesses to relocate here because of low taxes for them. He also cut state jobs (one out of every 20 will be out in 2011) and said if employees didn't leave voluntarily with buyouts, they'll be forced out. When have you ever heard a Democrat say that before? He revised his budget by making $468 million dollars in cuts. The state employee cut was only $64 million of that amount. (I know millions of dollars seems small to those of you in big states but it's not small for us.) AND, he wasn't running for re-election when he said it. He couldn't because of term limits, so it wasn't for political gain. Truckers say we have the best highways in the country. There is no admission fee to enter our award winning state parks. Property taxes are comparatively cheap. Sales tax is high but it's fairly applied to everyone who buys anything. Schools and judges (the cops arrest them, the judges turn them loose) could be better.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
I'm a registered Independent. I used to vote for the candidate, but the Democrats never have a candidate I would vote for for anymore. Usually my only choice is a Republican and if they are just as bad as the Democrat, I will vote the third party.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
I am 21. I only had the chance to vote once for presidential elections. I went for Obama and generally feel I will always vote for the Democrat. I will look at the conservative candidate though. I researched McCain but when he picked Palin, I stopped. It was done.

I think the Republican party has a chance but they have to dump their religious fanatics.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I have always voted Republican (in NY and MD) at the state and county level because I'm big on law and order even if that factor for selecting someone seems passe these days. I'm a good bet to vote for an ex-District Attorney with a good conviction percentage for other offices at the state level.
Ooff glad I don't live near you. Once a candidate brings up law and order, they're off my list. The justice system is bogged down enough with minor offenders. How many more people can we possibly jail?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:49 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
How many more people can we possibly jail?
Hopefully, the more predatory among us and with a common sense system they'll stay incarcerated.

Too many repeat violent offenders in our midst, imo.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,887,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Hopefully, the more predatory among us and with a common sense system they'll stay incarcerated.

Too many repeat violent offenders in our midst, imo.
Sure but the people who need to be in jail and stay in jail, are pushed out to make room and save the money it costs to incarcerate them. While non-violent offender and people with possession charges are jailed next to violent offenders.

Victimless crimes should not lead to jail time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections