Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:42 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,397,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not what you said in your original failed math OR before.

You can slice and dice it any way you like, but this still holds;

to be untrue and misleading, to say the least. You didn't say you were looking at the "range" in numbers, you made the claim that the GDP had grown 12.3. Not until AFTER it was pointed out, did you do the backtrack dance.
I've not backtracked on anything - unlike YOU who REFUSES to address YOUR bogus claim that subtracting the negative quarterly numbers from the positive quarterly numbers comes up with the "official" value.

Come on - fess up. You had NO CLUE what you were talking about.

Come on.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Sanrene - just in case your memory is a little "fuzzy", here's what you posted:

Quote:
Let me help you out; This,

1Q/09 GDP: -6.9%
2Q/09 GDP: - .7%
3Q/09 GDP: + 2.2%
4Q/09 GDP: + 5.9%

Does not equal 12.3. See the first two negative figures? You subtract those from the positives.

The "unexpected" revision;

Economic growth revised slightly lower in Q4 | Reuters

Change that 5.9% to 5.6.%.

The revised 5.6% growth in GDP was mostly business reducing inventory.

Let me know if you need help adding/subtracting those percentages.

So, show me HOW subtracting the negatives from the positives gives the "official" GDP growth number?

Come on, you seem to know it all, share that SECRET knowledge. You seemed pretty sure of it.
Can it BE that you now realize you didn't have a CLUE what you were talking about and EVEN NOW don't understand how they come up with the "Official" GDP growth rate?

Can that POSSIBLY be?

Ken

Old 03-26-2010, 05:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,046,835 times
Deflect, deflect, deflect away from your ridiculous calculation of a 12.3 "range" growth in GDP.

My "calculation" is much more on target than yours.

Laughable spin; Let's review again.

Quote:
Have you seen what the GDP has done in the last year?
Let's see -
That's a remarkable 12.3 points gain in 4 quarters.
I like my math better than yours.

No where did you claim you were calculating the "sum of quarterly changes to the GDP" until AFTER your fuzzy math was pointed out, then you backpedaled.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Deflect, deflect, deflect away from your ridiculous calculation of a 12.3 "range" growth in GDP.

My "calculation" is much more on target than yours.

Laughable spin; Let's review again.

I like my math better than yours.

No where did you claim you were calculating the "sum of quarterly changes to the GDP" until AFTER your fuzzy math was pointed out, then you backpedaled.
You MOST CERTAINLY ARE deflecting.
I've asked my question what - 6 times now?
And you've NOT answered it EVEN ONCE.
I've answered your question NUMEROUS TIMES.
It's not my fault you don't agree with my answer.
YOU on the other hand don't even DARE answer the question I've asked roughly a half dozen times.

So answer the question.
show me HOW subtracting the negatives from the positives gives the "official" GDP growth number?

Waiting...

Ken

Old 03-26-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Can't see how anyone could agree with your answer, or calculations.

It was fun to watch you try and spin those numbers though.

If the economy is still in the doldrums, if the UE rate is hovering around 10% (as most experts think it will be), if the deficit keeps rising and if the GDP is expected to grow by 3%, for the year, it will be a big win for the GOP.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,387,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
You MOST CERTAINLY ARE deflecting.
I've asked my question what - 6 times now?
And you've NOT answered it EVEN ONCE.
I've answered your question NUMEROUS TIMES.
YOU on the other hand don't even DARE answer the question I've asked roughly a half dozen times.

So answer the question.
show me HOW subtracting the negatives from the positives gives the "official" GDP growth number?

Waiting...

Ken
The poster you are responding to will deflect, argue and provide numerous cherry picked comments to the verbal death. It's unfortunate people waste their time, myself included. With this poster, and others, the motto is : "Anything to prove that the state of the nation is as unhappy (and forever will be) as they are." No perceivable hope with that poster. None at all.

Sanrene, could you offer some constructive solutions that you engage in locally to combat whatever influence, governmental or otherwise, that you feel is infringing on your life? Can you? It may be worth 2 cents more than moaning.

Democracy? This can't be it? People are arguing about numbers and stats for which, possibly, neither side has the hard cold facts. Just b/c you got something off a webpage don't quote it here as a FACT. Argue back and forth with supporting links, but don't think that your collected set of facts indicates an authority on the issue. I intend this message for no reader in particular. Many of us are somewhat "guilty" of cherry picking to support our argument.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 PM

OK, Sanrene since you seem unable or UNWILLING to answer, I'll put it in plain English for you. Here's the way it worked:

1) In 1Q/08 the economy went into a mild recession and the GDP dropped by .7% compared to the quarter before it (4Q/07)

2) In 2Q/08 the economy did better and the GDP rose by 1.5% compared to the quarter before it (1Q/08)

3) In 3Q/08 the economy dropped back into recession as the GDP dropped by 2.7% compared to the quarter before it (2Q/08)

4) In 4Q/08 the economy went into freefall as the banking crises came to a head and the GDP dropped by 5.4% compared to the quarter before it (3Q/08)

5) In 1Q/09 the economic freefall deepened and the GDP dropped 6.4% compared to the quarter before it (4Q/08).

6) On January 20th Obama was sworn in.

7) In 2Q/09 the freefall ended. The economy was still shrinking but barely, with a drop of .7% compared to the quarter before it (1Q/09)

8) In 3Q/09 the economy began to grow. The growth was not great, but it WAS growth, with the GDP up by 2.2% compared to the quarter before it (2Q/09)

9) In 4Q/10 the economy grew at 5.6% compared to the quarter before it (3Q/09)

Over the last 4 quarters the economy has gone from a freefall where the GDP was shrinking at a rate of 6.4% compared to the previous quarter (4Q/08), to barely falling (less than 1% decline) compared to the previous quarter (1Q/09), to growing slightly (2.2% growth) compared to the previous quarter (2Q/09), to growing robustly (5.6%) compared to the previous quarter (3Q/09).

However you want to sum that up the fact remains that we went from an economy in freefall (shrinking at 6.4%) to one that is now growing at 5.6%.

You can interprete that HOWEVER you want.

Ken

Old 03-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
The poster you are responding to will deflect, argue and provide numerous cherry picked comments to the verbal death. It's unfortunate people waste their time, myself included. With this poster, and others, the motto is : "Anything to prove that the state of the nation is as unhappy (and forever will be) as they are." No perceivable hope with that poster. None at all.
Yeah, I know.
I'm done.

Ken

Old 03-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah, I know.
I'm done.

Ken
All that desperation in your previous posts proves.....what point exactly? I have already pointed out your "math" is completely invalid and irrelevant to the issue of GDP growth. I even gave you the link to the BEA with the actually GDP growth, that doesn't come anywhere near your "sum" of 12.3%

And now you want to dredge up irrelevant statistics to muddy the waters.

I was just pointing out your own words to you and how they were most certainly wrong. Considering how you have backtracked ("I was talking about the sum of quarterly changes to GDP") from your initial post here;

Quote:
Have you seen what the GDP has done in the last year?
Let's see -
That's a remarkable 12.3 points gain in 4 quarters.
where we see no "sum of quarterly changes" spin, it is pretty clear that your newfangled way of calculating/summing/adding GDP statistics is completely invalid.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:14 PM

411 posts, read 469,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The great Republican landslide of 1994 resulted in a net gain of 54 seats, that's 22 short of what they will need to in 2010. I'm not saying that it is impossible, but with the GOP polling lower that either the Democrats or Obama, I wouldn't place any bets on Nancy Pelosi losing her gavel.

Dream on brother.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections