Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 04:25 PM

22,205 posts, read 19,490,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i think crist would lose the republican nomination, so he is looking at an independent run as his only viable option. the only way he can do that is if he gets a big union behind him and that would be the teacher's union, so theoretically he is going to be pulling more democratic votes if he runs as an independent.

i am okay with that.
A recent Quinnipiac shows just that, though that might be mostly due to Meek still having the lowest name recognition. Rubio leads Meek 42-38 in a head to head match up. Crist leads Meek 48-34 in a head to head. If Crist were to run as an Independent Crist 32, Rubio 30, Meek 24.

Rubio, does have a huge 56-33 advantage in the Primary

Florida (FL) Poll * April 15, 2010 * Rubio Tops Crist By 23 Points - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 05:33 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,854,979 times
Rubio, yeah he's just what the Rs need;

A friend of all the pork he can get for his district.

Want's creation "science" taught in schools.

Tries to suck up to the tea parties and then disses them.

Went to the CPAC and joked about Obama using a telprompter, WHILE HE WAS USING ONE.

Yeah, he'll go far. All he lacks is a withc doctor, a spouse involved in a separatist movement and and some breast implants and he'll be on the 2012 Presidential ticket.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:33 PM

1,089 posts, read 656,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Your question implies an equivalence between what happened to Liebermann and what is going on in Florida. Liebermann, a sitting senator seeking re-election, was targeted by the the far left in a Democrat primary. He was abandoned by his party. Even Chris Dodd would not support him against a well-financed challenger from the radical left. In Florida, on the other hand, there is an open primary. No one in the Republican party has a particular claim on that seat. Crist is vying on an equal footing against Marco Rubio who, until fairly recently, was little known and way behind in the polls. That Rubio is ahead now in the polls attests to the vigor of his campaign and his ideas. If Crist decides to abandon the Republican party and run as and independent he would show himself as the opportunist that many people perceive him to be. A better compaison would be to Arlen Specter.
Your rhetoric is astounding, as far as I am conserned, nobody has a claim to a particular seat, sitting or not. And as far Liebermann being targeted by the far left, Crist was targeted by the far right. So, it seems the me the situation is virtually identical.

Go Charlie

Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
The Obama-hugging stimulus-lover better not! In fact, any Republican who jumps on his bandwagon better go down to defeat with him, if he pulls that stunt and hands a victory to Democrats in Florida

Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 PM

1,089 posts, read 656,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Obama-hugging stimulus-lover better not! In fact, any Republican who jumps on his bandwagon better go down to defeat with him, if he pulls that stunt and hands a victory to Democrats in Florida
Will Charlie Crist Run as an Independent? - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

On Thursday, Crist vetoed a Republican-backed education bill that would have linked teacher pay and tenure to student test scores and make it easier to fire teachers from Florida schools.

The legislation was hailed by conservatives, so Crist's veto appears to be a decisive step away from Republican Party. It also seems to curry favor with Florida's statewide teachers union, a traditional Democratic constituency.

Prior to Crist's decision, Palm Beach County GOP chairman Sid Dinerstein had singled out the bill as a key signal of the governor's intentions. "If he vetoes it, he's got no support for him in the Republican Party, and he knows it," Dinerstein told Politico.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:18 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Crist is a Moderate Republican who, rightly, feels the GOP has left him and he may well have to go the Independent path. I hope he is successful, we need some Moderate Repubs in the Senate.
Charlie Crist = Arlen Spector with a good tan and arm candy trophy wife.

Crist is anything but moderate. He is a Progressive RINO. Crist's loyalties lay with the big corporations in FL who back him & the unions, not with the people of FL.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,690,714 times
All it will do is split the GOP vote and basically give the win to the liberal candidate.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All it will do is split the GOP vote and basically give the win to the liberal candidate.
Exactly and that is what we do not want nor do the majority of those living in Florida.. I just wish they could beg Crist to go with what the majority of his party wants, if he gets the nomination, good for him, if he doesn't find another career.

Nita

Old 04-17-2010, 02:29 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,647,650 times
Finally a politician who doesn't bow to his party's wishes. How refreshing. And during an election year.

He did make clear in his veto letter why he was doing it. It appears to me he had legitimate concerns about omissions from the bill.

But of course being a pol he probably has ulterior motives.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:46 PM

968 posts, read 1,040,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
Maybe you should ask Lindsey Graham that question. Is it possible for a Republican Pol to be openly gay? What, if anything, do you have against a homosexual pol?

I am rooting for Crist to make it a three-way race, it should be interesting to say the least.
I have nothing against homo politicians. I have major problems with closeted, self-hating, anti-gay homosexual republican politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections