Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:15 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,481,536 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, it's pretty interesting to see the GOP not operate in lockstep and a divide between party moderates who are getting the boot and idealogical puritans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,635,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
How is Rubio a "extreme right winger nutcase"?
That would be from KevK's point of view: an extreme one on the left. To him, Barbara Streisand is a moderate conservative.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 PM

383 posts, read 223,221 times
Ah ok. I looked at Rubio's campaign page seems normal to me. Seems like someone I would vote for.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,232,612 times
So what your saying is, Republicans win either way?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,646,421 times
For far lefties, moderate Republicans=RINOs who will side with lefties regularly.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM

13,619 posts, read 21,429,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Crist will run as an independent for US Senate from Florida. It looks like he may have backing from moderate Republicans and some Democrats and the polls show him well ahead of the Democrat (Meeks) who has virtually no name recognition in the state and even a few points ahead of Rubio.
Now the Democrats have to decide how to gamble when they vote. Do they go for blackjack by voting for Meeks knowing that, if he loses, they will be stuck with 6 years of Rubio- an extreme right wing wacko nutcase. Or they can simply go for "20" and vote for Crist and have a more middle of the road Republican in the Senate.
Hard choices have to be made.

Kendrick Meeks is the son of long time congress woman Carrie Meek, and like his mother K Meeks is a way left liberal who will vote in step with every issue the Democratic party tows. Which one issue is gun control, and while that issue may not be front and center lately like his mother, there isn't a gun control bill he wouldn't support.

So I will vote for anybody that will beat him just about.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,437,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul83 View Post
Ah ok. I looked at Rubio's campaign page seems normal to me. Seems like someone I would vote for.
LMAO,

Are you seriously suggesting you believe everything on a candidates website?

Rubios not that bad, I like Crist better, but still, their website?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,740,498 times
I think the Democrats need to cut a deal with Crist, let Meeks be Lt Gov or something.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,314,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Crist will run as an independent for US Senate from Florida. It looks like he may have backing from moderate Republicans and some Democrats and the polls show him well ahead of the Democrat (Meeks) who has virtually no name recognition in the state and even a few points ahead of Rubio.
Now the Democrats have to decide how to gamble when they vote. Do they go for blackjack by voting for Meeks knowing that, if he loses, they will be stuck with 6 years of Rubio- an extreme right wing wacko nutcase. Or they can simply go for "20" and vote for Crist and have a more middle of the road Republican in the Senate.
Hard choices have to be made.
First, Crist doesn't have a chance of peeling off Republicans. He didn't even stick around for the Republican primary. At least Lieberman waited until he lost the primary to run as an independent.

Secondly, Meeks has no name recognition? Come on. He's been in the US House of Representatives since 2003. Before that he pushed through the class size limitation ammendment that voters (foolishly) approved. He is well known enough that he will win the Democratic primary.

In a three-way race the most important thing is getting your supporters highly motivated. Crist's supporters wouold come from the middle. Rubio's from the right and the Democrat, from teh left. Centrists are the LEAST likely to come out to vote in a non=presidential year. Today conservatives are the most likely to say they intend to vote when questioned in polls. I don't see how Rubio can lose wether it is a 2-man race or a 3-man one.

With three-way U.S. Senate race looking likely, script is changing - St. Petersburg Times

Old 04-29-2010, 07:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,437,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
First, Crist doesn't have a chance of peeling off Republicans. He didn't even stick around for the Republican primary. At least Lieberman waited until he lost the primary to run as an independent.

There are Republicans who are moderate, who actually agree with Crist, you know that right?

That, and theres a hell of a lot of people in south Florida, who hate Hispanics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections