Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,420,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
I'm not referring to his stand on the Americans with Disabilities Act. I don't agree with it, but that's not my point.

Paul was asked.."Do you think Americans, based on the 2nd Amendment, do you think they have a Constitutional right to violently overthrow the government?"

And instead of having the courtesy to answer, he ran....something his dad would have never done.

Rand Paul's actions are those of just another politician. He's been marketing himself as something different...looks like that's not the case.
actually, watch the video again. he says, "no, i don't". and he was coureious enough to answer the first question...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
He claims to be a libertarian, but he's only an economic libertarian. He's a social conservative. I could never support him.
I agree. I cannot see how you can be truely libertarian and be against a woman's right to choose.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:04 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,911,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree. I cannot see how you can be truely libertarian and be against a woman's right to choose.
Because the infant has rights. The infant cannot speak for itself but it deserves the same right to life as you do.
Rand believes in property rights. You, yourself are property. No one should be able to decide if you live or die unless it is in an act of defense. So, no to the death penalty also.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Because the infant has rights. The infant cannot speak for itself but it deserves the same right to life as you do.
Rand believes in property rights. You, yourself are property. No one should be able to decide if you live or die unless it is in an act of defense. So, no to the death penalty also.
An embryo is not an infant. On top of that You are correct You yourself are property. The government has no right to enslave you for 9 months and force you to carry to term an unwanted pregnancy with all of the negative side effects and risks that entails. On top of that no government has the right to force you to lease your body, your property, for 9 months with no compensation to an injurious tenant. And you certainly have the right to evict someone or something from your property even if that results in their demise. No one is entitled to another person's property without due compensation under any circumstances.

There is not a single major libertarian philosopher I know of who is pro-life.

Ayn Rand called the pro-life movement "vicious nonsense" and Murray Rothbard said "no being has a right to live unbidden as a parasite within someone else's body."

Being anti-choice is fundamentally anti-libertarian.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-18-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,031,582 times
Quote:
Rand Paul has been a life long Republican. He is being endorsed by Right to Life of Northern Kentucky. Not to mention, he's endorsed by Palin; that should give you a clue. He's winning points on his 100% pro life stance, which IS the most important issue for the right wing
Republican base. Yep - he's Republican, through and
through.

Your right, a true Libertarian
could not vote for him, not just because he is anti choice,
but because he is a........Republican

The way it works; if you are a true Libertarian,
you run as one A few libertarian stances here or there, a Libertarian, it does not make

Libertarian Party Candidates | Libertarian Party
Platform | Libertarian Party

Old 05-18-2010, 10:52 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,911,045 times
Quote:
An embryo is not an infant. On top of that You are correct You yourself are property. The government has no right to enslave you for 9 months and force you to carry to term an unwanted pregnancy with all of the negative side effects and risks that entails. On top of that no government has the right to force you to lease your body, your property, for 9 months with no compensation to an injurious tenant. And you certainly have the right to evict someone or something from your property even if that results in their demise. No one is entitled to another person's property without due compensation under any circumstances.

There is not a single major libertarian philosopher I know of who is pro-life.

Ayn Rand called the pro-life movement "vicious nonsense" and Murray Rothbard said "no being has a right to live unbidden as a parasite within someone else's body."

Being anti-choice is fundamentally anti-libertarian.
I believe the discussion centers around when the infant is considered to be "alive".

I made the comment about defending your life. That is one of the instances abortion should be legal. The mothers life is in danger. We could also go on a long discussion about the mental state of the mother and I would agree there are some instances abortion is a legal answer. But for the most part I am against abortion.

We make specific laws to protect the rugrats. (You may want to use parasite but I don't think of unborns as parasites.) No alcohol, no tobacco and so on. Why shouldn't we make laws to protect their life?
IMO, for most cases, the unborns right to life outweighs a mothers right to do what she wants with the unborn child.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Why shouldn't we make laws to protect their life?
IMO, for most cases, the unborns right to life outweighs a mothers right to do what she wants with the unborn child.
The most important issue facing our Nation today
is abortion. - NOT. More laws - NOT.
Can't the Republican Right just leave other folks alone
and mind their OWN business

Old 05-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I believe the discussion centers around when the infant is considered to be "alive".

I made the comment about defending your life. That is one of the instances abortion should be legal. The mothers life is in danger. We could also go on a long discussion about the mental state of the mother and I would agree there are some instances abortion is a legal answer. But for the most part I am against abortion.

We make specific laws to protect the rugrats. (You may want to use parasite but I don't think of unborns as parasites.) No alcohol, no tobacco and so on. Why shouldn't we make laws to protect their life?
Again if you are truely a libertarian you are against stuff like laws on alcohol, tobacco and the wearing of seat belts and it's not the mothers right to do what she wants with an embryo its her right to do what she wants to do with her own body.

As to "parasites" I did not say that Murray Rothbard the influential libertarian thinker did. Again you can argue all you want about what you think is right or wrong...I am just saying being anti-choice and being for regulating things alcohol and tobacco is fundamentally not libertarian.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Whose trying to pass Rand Paul off as a Libertarian, anyways?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Whose trying to pass Rand Paul off as a Libertarian, anyways?
A surprising amount of people will turn up just on a google search...It has become a Republican fad these days to try (paraphrasing) to put an old Neo-conservative wine into a new libertarian bottle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections