Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:18 PM

17,412 posts, read 12,039,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well lets see now.

He most assuredly lied about his service, but is most likely to vote in the interests of middle class voters in his State.

The other guy hasn't lied apparently, but will vote more in the interests of corporate lobbyists and the ultra wealthy.

Yep...still need to go with the Democrat here. Not even close.
Which is why this country is in the situation it's in. It IS about character - something the Dems lack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,074,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well, I guess I've been on these boards too long. Shot off mouth before looking into the story. This don't appear to be as clear cut as they seem.

Richard Blumenthal Claimed Vietnam Service But Never Went; Calls NYT Report 'Outrageous Distortion'
One would have to suspend all common sense and belief;

I Believe Richard Blumenthal - The Campaign Spot - National Review Online

Quote:
I believe Richard Blumenthal. I believe him when he says it was accidental slip of the tongue to say “I served in Vietnam” before a group of veterans in Norwalk in 2008. I believe that he also accidentally said the wrong words when he said “when we returned” from Vietnam at an event with troops in 2003.

I believe that when he said “I remember the taunts, the insults, sometimes even physical abuse,” he didn’t mean to infer that he himself had experienced that.
A LONG list of "I Believes".

Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 PM

17,412 posts, read 12,039,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
One would have to suspend all common sense and belief;

I Believe Richard Blumenthal - The Campaign Spot - National Review Online

A LONG list of "I Believes".
What about the fact that he belongs to the VFW, which you may only do if you have actually serviced IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY. So when he filled out the application, stating where he served, he MISSPOKE?

Scumbag.......

Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 PM

One of those props Blumenthal used today (soldiers) appears to be a phony soldier.

Uh-oh.

Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/05/breaking-blementhals-soldier-supporter-on-stage-today-is-a-phony-too/ - broken link)

Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,022,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
He needs to be horse whipped.
Enjoying your new political persona Ovacatto.

Very macho of you wanting a politician (of all things) caught lying lie horse whipped and suspect American citizens assassinated without a smidgen of judicial oversight.

You're such the Patriot.

Last edited by padcrasher; 05-18-2010 at 11:08 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Enjoying your new political persona Ovacatto.

Very macho of you wanting a politician (of all things) caught lying lie horse whipped and suspect American citizens assassinated without a smidgen of judicial oversight.

You're such the Patriot.
Don't quite understand the excuses and dismissal from some on the Left. Admit it - if a republican had "misspoke" like Blumenthal did, the Left would be up in arms.

NYTimes is digging in;

Editorial - Mr. Blumenthal̢۪s Misdirection - NYTimes.com

Quote:
There are few sins less forgivable in American politics than claiming unearned military valor. Richard Blumenthal, the attorney general of Connecticut, may consider his false claim to have served in Vietnam to be “a few misplaced words,” as he put it on Tuesday, but, in fact, this deception seems to have been part of a larger pattern of misleading voters.
According to some on here, such a sin is just no big deal.

Wow, look at this shift in the polls for McMahon;

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epo...thal-1145.html

Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 AM

9,802 posts, read 16,264,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
What about the fact that he belongs to the VFW, which you may only do if you have actually serviced IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY. So when he filled out the application, stating where he served, he MISSPOKE?

Scumbag.......
Amazing !

I was drafted into the Navy in 1965 and served my 2 years at 2 different NAS here in the states.

I am ineligible to join the VFW and have no problem with my status. ( thus, I only belong to the American Legion which I am eligible )

Disgusting that politicians can't accept rules of eligibility.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,199,915 times
Quote:
Now he's toast?

Contrary to most Red States, North Easterners are sophisticated to know voting has to do with issues not the personal failings of who's in office.

Why would they vote for someone who will vote against their own self interest when the other guy who lied will likely vote in their own self interest?
This is a pretty profound position you are taking here. Can we also expect that you will extend your forgiveness to Republican politicians who also have "personal failings?"

I think we all know the answer to this.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 AM

23,737 posts, read 17,407,268 times
Default Blumenthal is history

You can mis speak about how many trout you caught last time you went fishing but to say you were fighting in Nam when you weren't, characterizes you as a slimeball forever and ever. The 'speech' only validates how sleazy and unredeemable this guy is as a public servant.

His indignation at being slurred will be rewarded next election. Too bad his public has to wait that long.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM

180 posts, read 203,327 times
Quote:
He most assuredly lied about his service, but is most likely to vote in the interests of middle class voters in his State.
The other guy hasn't lied apparently, but will vote more in the interests of corporate lobbyists and the ultra wealthy.
Yep...still need to go with the Democrat here. Not even close.
You need to wake up. All politicians cater first to their lobbiest and donors and last to the people who elected them.
Quote:
Contrary to most Red States, North Easterners are sophisticated to know voting has to do with issues not the personal failings of who's in office.
Why would they vote for someone who will vote against their own self interest when the other guy who lied will likely vote in their own self interest?
All politicians vote out of self interest. Mr. Smith went home from Washington a long time ago.
Quote:
Typical of the democrats and the current democrat administration. Lie and cheat to get what you want and ignore any voice you don't agree with.
To use your own logic(?) perhaps he is lying about voting in your self interest. Which is why this country is in the situation it's in. It IS about character - something the Dems lack.
Don't limit it to Democrats. There's crazy, illogical people on both sides. The fact that there are a lot more on the left doesn't mean we aren't being deceived by phony politicians promising to cut spending, etc. Boy do I sound jaded. I guess seeing the expansion of government and the debt throughout Bush and even more so Obama is getting to me. It's like I heard once: Both sides are driving toward the cliff; the left is just driving faster, but eventually they'll both get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections