Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times

Advertisements

OK, so I have no idea about what the industry is all about but recently I've made friends with comics, model and actions and to this day I do understand just how all that they've done they really have nothing to show for it; material wise. I do not mean to say that they should just do it to break into fame or money, but that when are they going to figure out that it might not be as lucrative a venture as they thought.

I don't get it though. They all have agents, IMDB profiles, youtube pages, websites, tour, do shows, go to auditions. How on Earth do some of them still share apartments, have no car, work a part time job, live off of savings, are still doing short films?

1.) How come a lot of them are so supportive of each other, when to any regular joe they can see that their comedy sucks? Is it normal to be so fake around each other?

2.) How did one guy I know do a nationwide tour, a cable special and does regular gigs around town but cannot live without the help of his father?

Do these gigs, jobs pay close to nothing? Are their agents lazy?

Just what is the truth behind this industry? Because I am afraid to ask them. I just assume this is all so by hanging around them.

Last edited by BarcelonaFan; 08-17-2012 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 05:45 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
Think about how many young female actresses you can name, like Kristen Stewart, Blake Lively, etc. Maybe 20 or so? Now consider that there are THOUSANDS of young actresses in L.A. trying to launch an acting career. I think it's really just a case of the VERY few making a ton of money and the majority just getting by. The median income of a Screen Actors Guild member is about $ 50,000 minus agent fees, manager fees, etc. I once appraised the home of a young supporting actress who you would recognize. My standard line when meeting famous people is, "Wow, it must be cool to be you." She replied, " Yeah, so cool that I haven't worked in 3 years and I have to refinance my house to eat." Pretty much says it all.

Mike

Old 08-17-2012, 05:50 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
For the same reason my nephew plugged away in the minor leagues of baseball longer than he should have... the Dream.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:00 PM

Does the work pay that low? I mean how does one do modeling, acting and then comedy, not only that but commercials and then not have a car, rooming with two other people, and needing a second job?

Is the field just so competitive? Or does it really have to do with a lack of talent?

I mean I look at these actors like they're living the dream while they're thinking it's great I have a steady office job and am going back to school.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
OK, so I have no idea about what the industry is all about but recently I've made friends with comics, model and actions and to this day I do understand just how all that they've done they really have nothing to show for it; material wise. I do not mean to say that they should just do it to break into fame or money, but that when are they going to figure out that it might not be as lucrative a venture as they thought.

I don't get it though. They all have agents, IMDB profiles, youtube pages, websites, tour, do shows, go to auditions. How on Earth do some of them still share apartments, have no car, work a part time job, live off of savings, are still doing short films?

1.) How come a lot of them are so supportive of each other, when to any regular joe they can see that their comedy sucks? Is it normal to be so fake around each other?

2.) How did one guy I know do a nationwide tour, a cable special and does regular gigs around town but cannot live without the help of his father?

Do these gigs, jobs pay close to nothing? Are their agents lazy?

Just what is the truth behind this industry? Because I am afraid to ask them. I just assume this is all so by hanging around them.
My brother works in the industry as a writer for A&E, the Discovery Channel and other programs. He has been working steady for the past 20 years because (a) he works cheap (maybe $8000-$10,000 a show) and (b) he's very good/dependable.

He has several friends in the industry that are well-known and occasionally gets to hobnob at parities with the rich and famous.

According to him nepotism is a HUGE factor in who gets what esp. when it comes to the supporting cast.

If nepotism isn't in play a lot depends on the appearance of the actor or actress.

Do they have the look which the producer, writer, director have in mind?

Last in line is talent.

To be sure the cream rises to the top. However, the talent margin between the majority of actors and actresses often isn't that great.

Or to put it another way many who make it are simply lucky and those who don't aren't.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM

So it's a mix of luck, looks and connections?

Talent is third or forth down the list?

So what does it say if you're acting, comic, and a model like the guy I met yet he's just barely scratching by?

Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
...So what does it say if you're acting, comic, and a model like the guy I met yet he's just barely scratching by?
Probably trying to cover all his bases and praying something works out.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Well how much of it is talent? Because some of these guys I've met doing comedy totally suck or are mediocre, yet they have agents, done shows and some sketch stuff. One guy I know has his own website.

While I thought this was enough to pay the bills, he still has to live off his parents.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.

If people want to claim they're a working actor or comic tell em that's great.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:29 PM

But the point us if they have all that I listed but they're still struggling, are they "working actors"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts