Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 11:03 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,039,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Even though I do use a lot of digital music and digital video in conjunction
with my physical collection, I do not blindly assume the latest is always the
greatest. What corporations want to push as new is not always in my best
interest or that of the general consumer. YMMV.

Well said, sir!

I'll also add, that some of the consumer technological advancements, from 2000-forward, are not what I'd call progress. In fact, there's another word, starting in "pr-" that I'd use to categorize some new media consumption methods.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Gen X-ers have been the generation to adapt to new technology,
because we've been doing it pretty much our entire lives. We're
comfortable with finding new ways to do things. I think your 75%
is too high, TBH.
Not this X-er! As time moves on, I'm finding myself adapting less and less. I won't even RENT, let alone own, any car without the provision to play CDs in it.

And why does Apple want us to Play in our Cars? I'm in my car to drive somewhere!

(End George Carlin-Mode )

Old 02-23-2021, 11:10 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,918,303 times
I still have a stereo system I’ve had since 1992, I believe music sounds so much better going threw the speakers, then a computer or any other gizmo that’s out there. I’ve noticed vinyls are making a comeback.

Old 02-23-2021, 11:15 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,021,322 times
I still SMH wondering what possesses someone not to just reject certain technologies but to puff themselves up in a bunch of self-congratulatory hyperbole about doing so.

I don't use an air-fryer but I don't find any faux generational pride about it.

Last edited by KemBro71; 02-23-2021 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I still SMH wondering what possesses someone not to just
reject certain technologies but to puff themselves up in a
bunch of self-congratulatory hyperbole about doing so.

I don't use an air-fryer but I don't find any faux generation
pride about it.
Nobody's "puffing up" here! If anything some of us might get a little puffed-up when certain technologies or ways of doing things are FORCED on us. IE: modern tablets-on-wheels- ahem, cough!- CARS, with no built-in provision for physical media playback.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
I agree. It's not that we feel we're better than you for not adapting. It is what is being forced on us. I, personally, like to receive a hard copy of my bank statement in the mail. Some banks now want to charge consumers to do that. Why? They didn't used to do that. I don't want something as personal as my bank statement sent to me electronically. Same thing with bills. Some companies won't mail me a bill, (though I should say almost all of them do). I prefer to mail in my payment. I like the process of sitting down, looking at what bills are due, writing the checks, and putting the envelopes in the mailbox. It is almost therapeutic to me, except for the fact that I'm sending other people my money. It also helps out the Post Office.
One is not always owed an option to soothe one's personal comforts.

You can download statements from your bank.

We've had enough old-fashioned mailbox theft to know that this is at least, if not more, secure.

Ditto for bills.

But now we're going way off topic.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
One is not always owed an option to soothe one's
personal comforts.

You can download statements from your bank.

We've had enough old-fashioned mailbox theft to know
that this is at least, if not more, secure.

Ditto for bills.

But now we're going way off topic.
Not really off topic: Forced obsolecence is occurring as much in how we conduct mundane tasks(Chocolatecake1977 paying bills) as it is in how we consume entertainment, news, etc.

And do I detect a bit of that "puffery" in your top sentence, about not always being "owed an option"?

Nobody is saying you can't live the "on-line" lifestyle. We are just saying don't completely deprive us of our choice not to.

Old 02-23-2021, 12:38 PM

Some of it might be forced obsolescence but most of it is not being forced to support inferior, unpopular legacy equipment to satisfy everyone's whims.

CDs in the car were never convenient. They get scratched, you gotta lug them from car to car, they don't take well to heat, they get stolen, they don't hold a lot of or variety of music (even with "mix" CDs and 6-disc units), etc. OK, if you're THE guy that is fine listening to the same handful of CDs and don't mind all of the above...bless you.

I use physical media in my car...ripped hundreds of tracks at a near lossless level and store them on a teeny USB drive which plugs into my car. Instant, fast access, random variety when I want it. And before the so-called audiophiles get all puffy, think about your car as a listening environment, with ambient noise levels in the low 60dB to the upper 70dB range.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Some of it might be forced obsolescence but most of it
is not being forced to support inferior, unpopular legacy
equipment to satisfy everyone's whims.

CDs in the car were never convenient. They get scratched, you
gotta lug them from car to car, they don't take well to heat, they
get stolen, they don't hold a lot of or variety of music (even with
"mix" CDs and 6-disc units), etc. OK, if you're THE guy that is fine
listening to the same handful of CDs and don't mind all of the
above...bless you.

I use physical media in my car...ripped hundreds of tracks at a near
lossless level and store them on a teeny USB drive which plugs into
my car. Instant, fast access, random variety when I want it. And
before the so-called audiophiles get all puffy, think about your car as
a listening environment, with ambient noise levels in the low 60dB
to the upper 70dB range.
Spoken like a true Gen-Z!

Would you be bothered if your car had even a single-disc CD player in it, below the Millie-tablet that controls everyhing from the radio to the climate?

Old 02-23-2021, 05:32 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,308,684 times
Quote:
Some of it might be forced obsolescence but most of it is not being forced to support inferior, unpopular legacy equipment to satisfy everyone's whims.
It is true that obsolescence is a byproduct of innovation and a fact of life and those of us still into physical media have seen plenty of it as music went from vinyl to 8-track tape, to audio cassette to CD. Analog music was great in the respect that once you owned it you could play it anywhere: home, car or portable player without restriction. The problem with the latest innovation to electronic file/streaming is that code can be inserted into the content that can restrict how and where it can be played. The corporate sellers are now interfering with fair use by dictating that the content can only be played on certain devices or with specific apps. This is dangerous ground since many people are oblivious to the threat and accept the restrictions imposed upon them.

Quote:
CDs in the car were never convenient. They get scratched, you gotta lug them from car to car, they don't take well to heat, they get stolen, they don't hold a lot of or variety of music (even with "mix" CDs and 6-disc units), etc. OK, if you're THE guy that is fine listening to the same handful of CDs and don't mind all of the above...bless you.

I use physical media in my car...ripped hundreds of tracks at a near lossless level and store them on a teeny USB drive which plugs into my car. Instant, fast access, random variety when I want it. And before the so-called audiophiles get all puffy, think about your car as a listening environment, with ambient noise levels in the low 60dB to the upper 70dB range.
I only used CDs in the vehicle when I took long road trips. I had a handful of CDs on which I liked more than half the songs and I rotated those as I drove. I haven't been on a long road trip in several years. I took a lot of them back in the 1990s and 2000s. For shorter trips I just alternate between my terrestrial radio presets. I have two vehicles and one has a CD player but I have never actually used it. I have only had that vehicle since 2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts