Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 03:50 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,042 times

Advertisements

It seems like I never hear much of anything about the internet in the mainstream press, and mainstream media.

-I subscribe to the LA Times and there's virtually nothing about the net.

No big overview of the net, where it's been, where it's going.
Nothing about whats going on, on message boards, blogs, etc.
Nothing about the popularity of internet sites. TV ratings and box office success is talked about. But nothing on youtube moving up to the top 10 most visited sites or another site moving down.
In the business section, there's nothing on ebay, even though it has 150 million or 200 million users, or whatever the number is.

On TV, it seems like there's very, very little about the net.

Wikipedia (although it has it's flaws) is the largest collection of knowledge in the history of the world. You think that'd be newsworthy. Peoples lives have changed because of myspace, flickr. It's like it doesn't exist.

Mainstream news, I gave up on that years ago.

What would you want to see covered in newspapers or on tv?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM

389 posts, read 1,656,551 times
I think their jealous of the sucess of the net and that most of us would rather be surfing than getting anything from mainstream media.Yet it does have its place like for weather updates and what happeing locally ,they need to carry more internet related stories like the stories behind search engines,how to set up a webpage etc.maybe they do that some on that network that's called g4 but I don't get it.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:54 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,042 times
I still don't get it.

The other day in the Times, there's a big front page piece about NBC in the "entertainment" section. TV and movies seem to be the only type of entertainment covered.

NBC has been losing viewers for years, youtube is the number #4 website in the world, yet it's like it doesn't exist.

I guess online entertainment isn't entertainment...jokes, email links, funny pictures, games, video clips, virtual communities, photo sharing.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:11 AM

114 posts, read 399,934 times
I rarely watch TV or movie.Computer and Internet are enough for me.
Who cares mainstream?
When you treat online entertainment as true entertainment,it is.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:10 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,244 times
I think the TV, Newspaper and Radio industries are both confused and threatened by the internet. It's in their best interests that people not know about it.

On the other hand, they realize it's inevitable, and have definitely changed the way they do business because of the internet. Almost every local newspaper in America has a web-based news portal, every TV station does too. I'm just not impressed with the internet-based services that most of these major media outlets provide. Their internet content suffers from the same problems that their main channels (TV, newspaper, radio) do.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:22 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
the mainstream media has lost its authoritative newsfilter throne to the internet and talk radio,,anchors are use to being celebrities and they look down upon alternative news sources,
the evening news has lost viewership steadily,
however, i also believe the traditional mainstream media is so liberal, it has opened its own void,,thats filled by talk radio and the internet, they created thier own monsters, thats close to eating them

Old 12-18-2013, 10:03 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Lightbulb *

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23
It seems like I never hear much of anything about the internet in the mainstream press, and mainstream media.
Well seeing MAINSTREAM PRESS is garbage meant to keep people UNAWARE,im not surprised are you??

They dont like the fact THE TRUTH IS REVEALED ON THE INTERNET!!!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 08:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,747 times
the internet destroyed the hold that the MSM had on the public. Before the internet the MSM controlled the flow of information in the US. But they lost that control. What is interesting is when the WWW first came out is what for scientists to communicate with one another. So the MSM paid no attention. The executives were too big to fall, so they thought. But by the time the internet started to really take off it was too late for the MSM to get a hold of the internet and they lost. Its over for the MSM. Their done.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:55 PM

537 posts, read 740,001 times
Corporate news sucks. Millionaire hairdos telling us what their billionaire bosses want us to think. Why do you think it's called "programming"?

I only trust them for weather reports and sports scores, the rest is propaganda, drug ads, and infotainment.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 AM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,992 times
On the one hand, there used to be more professionalism in the media than there is now. The structure that used to exist helped foster that, and some of that is gone. Other than that, being able to do my own searches on any topic that comes to mind, rather than have the soulless mainstream media tell me what's important, what I should care about, what I should look at...this freedom from their agenda has been a boon. Particularly with music and video content, and this is where YouTube comes into play. The mainstream media cares about stuff that is so irrelevant, and that never seems to speak to me to the point where it provides no value to me at all. So to be able to have access to all this content on my own has been truly a gift.

The only thing with a decentralized structure is lower-quality coverage and the shear number of garbage available that you'll have to sift through on your own.

But I get to find what I want and what interest me, so I don't really care if the mainstream media is paying attention to the Internet at all. In fact, I hope they continue to ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts