Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'm the only one who notices this, but when I see movies with fictional families in them I sometimes compare the family members to see if they tried to make them resemble each other in the casting...it's probably not something the producers/casting agents expect audiences to notice or care about (not that I really do) but I notice that as long as they're of the same race it doesn't matter how different say the parents and children look, or siblings. An obvious example is 'Twins' with Danny Devito and Arnie. Size notwithstanding, their physically features are so different: Arnie is so Germanic/Teutonic and Devito very southern Italian in looks, it wouldn't happen IRL. It seems as long as they're white it seems they can 'get away' with making them look as different as possible.

What do you think? Do you think they should try to make the resemblance at least passable? Sometimes it's so obvious it makes it hard to believe they are related...I know it's not always easy to find people who resemble each other, and like I said not a high priority, but especially if the actors are less well known it should be within the bounds of reason/believability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:34 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
I think they try sometimes.The lady who sings in the children's animation Frozen is playing the mom on Glee to the girl that sings like Barbara Streisand.
They both have similar facial features.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:42 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I think they try sometimes.The lady who sings in the children's animation Frozen is playing the mom on Glee to the girl that sings like Barbara Streisand.
They both have similar facial features.
It's interesting that you bring up Idina Menzel because I was thinking of her and Lea Michelle. I'm not sure there's quite enough age difference to be mother and daughter, but they definitely favor one another.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
This goes back a long, long time, but on the old Carol Burnett Show, her co-star Vicki Lawrence was "discovered" & cast in the show due to her resemblance to Carol (they were looking for someone who could play her younger sister). They went from that show to the old "Mama's Family" which ran for years, too.

Vicki went on to have a long career herself--I think she even had her own talk show at some point.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I notice that all the time. And when there's a strong resemblance I appreciate it. The daughters in Identity Thief are real-life sisters and you can definitely tell.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
For any General Hospital viewers out there, I've always thought they did a good job casting Anna and Robin. Pretty darn good considering Robin was cast when she was something like 6 years old, and looks even more like Anna today than she did as a child. Someone had a crystal ball with that one.

I also think Emma was well cast as Robin's daughter and Anna's granddaughter.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
An obvious example is 'Twins' with Danny Devito and Arnie. Size notwithstanding, their physically features are so different: Arnie is so Germanic/Teutonic and Devito very southern Italian in looks, it wouldn't happen IRL.
The whole point of that movie was that they were not anywhere near alike. Not really a good example to use.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
The whole point of that movie was that they were not anywhere near alike. Not really a good example to use.
Yes I suppose you're right, but it was still a bit unbelievable...or Family Ties with Michael J Fox and Justin Bateman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts