Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The Beatles only lasted eight years as a functional recording group.

Radiohead is going on 24 years since "Creep". And they've actually been together since 1985... 30 years. Yet to most people 50+, they're still "new".
Mind blowing stuff right thurr^.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:40 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The Beatles only lasted eight years as a functional recording group.

Radiohead is going on 24 years since "Creep". And they've actually been together since 1985... 30 years. Yet to most people 50+, they're still "new".
My 56 year old father still thinks of the Macarena as a new song too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 12:00 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Sterling View Post
Yeah OP I agree people always act like the 90's was so recently but it started 25 years ago and ended going on 16 years ago. I don't get everyone saying it's about perspective either. If someone is lets say 70 years old then they were 20 50 years ago. But I highly doubt they think of a half a century as just yesterday. And I don't remember anyone acting like the 80's wasn't along time ago in 2005. I'm 24 and I remember the 80's were seen as ancient and dated by the late 90's. The 90's especially the early 90's is incredibly dated looking. I'm sure the 50's seemed really old by 75 and the 60's by 85. When they did the Saved By the Bell reunion on the Tonight Show the clothes and huge cell phones from the time period the show was on (89-93) looked cartoonish. And in 15-20 years I'm probably going to think of the 2010's as being dated, I already think of the early to mid 2000's that way.
Exactly. 20 years ago is a long time no matter how you slice it. Even if you're 100 years old, it's a pretty long time. I was watching some videos from the late 90s and early 00s and was surprised at how old the vibe is. It's really nothing like today, I was surprised at how different they look. This just SCREAMS late 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkVsJGl5d6E

Old 02-25-2015, 01:22 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Exactly. 20 years ago is a long time no matter how you slice it. Even if you're 100 years old, it's a pretty long time. I was watching some videos from the late 90s and early 00s and was surprised at how old the vibe is. It's really nothing like today, I was surprised at how different they look. This just SCREAMS late 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkVsJGl5d6E
To me it seems normal.

I'd rather hop in a time machine and party with those old hags than spend five minutes with anybody from "now".

Old 02-27-2015, 07:11 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
People are always shocked I was born in 1990 even though I'm almost 25 years old now. I honestly don't get what's so surprising about that. The early 90s were a long time ago! Nearly as close to 30 as 20 years ago. The average human being is 30 years old so half the people alive today can't even remember 1990.

I'm pretty sure 1945 was considered a long time ago in 1970, and I know for a fact that 1970 was considered ancient in 1995. What makes 1990 different? Do you think it's because today still has sort of a similar pop culture to the last couple years of the '90s?

I guess another thing is the fashion in the '70s and '80s was really bizarre, so the '90s seems quite normal and modern in comparison to those decades. Though actually the '90s had a lot more cheesy and weird stuff than people give it credit for. Hell even movies from 2000 I enjoyed as a child look dated today.
The 90s were the last substantive decade and it was a time of great prosperity and security. For most, the internet did not exist and the net was just a fraction of what it is today. I can barely remember the 2000s and the things I've taken away from the 2000s are traditions passed down from earlier decades. Halfway through the 2010s and I don't see much of anything worth remembering other than wars, facebook, terrorism, trash tv, dumb people, and a bad economy.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:48 PM

371 posts, read 894,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
The 90s were the last substantive decade and it was a time of great prosperity and security. .
Dude, we were in a recession in the early to mid 90's. People were losing their jobs left and right. The homeless population exploded during that time. I don't remember it being prosperous or secure.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:41 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
I've always felt like the 90s were like the 50s spiritually. Sort of falsely Utopian, viewed as a capitalist golden age but actually quite ridden with problems, conservative and old-fashioned. Right after a period of great conflict (WW2, Cold War) And just before sh*t hit the fan.
No way. The 80s were very much a Golden Age of Americana/Machismo/Conservatism with Regan and all (not saying it's good or bad, just so) and the 2000s was also a brief resurgence of the same after 9/11.

The 90s in many ways were something of a backlash to that. Alternative Rock was big, disrespect for authority, Rap was king, baggy clothes, slacker ethos.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:59 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Every generation ages, and when you get to a certain age, the years begin to merge with one another, and you find yourself surprised by how quickly time advances. Even at 27, things seem to go by a lot quicker than they did just 10 years ago. I mean, we're already nearly in March - at the halfway point of another decade. 2015 felt like such a long way away when I was a kid. It's still weird that we're here. In fact, I was certain that we would have flying cars by now.

As for the cultural aspect - well, this is generational too. People who came of age in the 90s think the 90s were the bees knees as far as music is concerned, but I was only a child then so I can't appreciate the music really. In fact, the only aspect of 90s music I like is mid-late 90s trance music. I don't really care for rock or whatever. Likewise, I have an uncle who came of age in the the late 70s and he thinks music went 'funny' after 1985. My mother came of age in the early 80s and the 80s were definitely 'her' decade (by the time the 90s rolled around she was losing interest in pop culture, like I did as well by the time the 2010s rolled around). It's all relative.

The early 2000s seem like quite a long time ago to me now anyway. Even 2005 is a decade old now. Sheesh.
As a fellow 27 yr old, I concour. I will say that fashion and even music to a certain extent have improved from the early 2000s, which I consider a total low point. I do feel the 2010s and 2000s will be remembered as being totally different decades with the political/cultural/social break point being 2008. I too am sometimes shocked that it's 2015 already, since I remember me and my family sitting around the television for the 2000 new years celebrations (and the immediate technological apocalypse).

Old 03-03-2015, 01:44 PM

335 posts, read 939,085 times
Gosh I don't think I've ever related to a thread on c-d this much. I am 35 and when I consider that someone who was born the year I graduated high school can be an intern it blows my mind. Kurt Cobain dying and the OJ trial 20/21 years ago seem like yesterday and so far away at the same time.
I miss the 90s so much especially the music (as terrible as a lot of it was) - it was the last time I loved hip hop. I bet every generation says this but the 90s felt more carefree. It's probably because I was a teenager then!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:33 PM

74 posts, read 94,907 times
Because pop culture no longer evolves as quickly. In the last hundred years pop culture seemed to evolve its quickest in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. Once the 90s came things from the 80s simply just carried over and small tweaks were made over the years since then.

Things used to change (fashion, music) at the first year or two of each decade, that is no longer the case though. Things in pop culture now change over many years, and change slowly. Just look at 2009 and 2015...mostly still looks the same. Now do that with 1979 and 1985...the difference is night and day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts