Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
And most people now days don't even know who Prince or "the artist formerly known as Prince" was.

I knew I was getting older when I was the only one in the room who knew who Prince was, and this was in 2004. I was in shock LOL, then I remembered most of them were babies or had not been born yet when Prince was popular.
Poor Bob Dylan was questioned by a 24-year-old cop who didn't know him a few years ago:

New Jersey Homeowner Calls Cops on Bob Dylan - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:08 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
I love the 90's, I'm obsessed with that decade, it was the brink of what we have today, remember when the Nokia 5160, flip phones, and the Sidekick pushed the pager, and two-way off the cliff. If it wasn't for blackberry turning a PDA in to a phone, you think we'd have smart phones asquick we did? It's the decade of technological boom, when microdisc players made way for mp3 players, music changed. It's probably cause it's when this boy met the world, people weren't standing on my damn neck, everybody was jiggy with it, there was totally live request, I don't think anybody was as snarky as Jack. People were afraid of the dark, the kids weren't all grown up, your pets were digital, if not robotic, now you could see when the bill man called, there was shows about nothing, we were living single, and in color, family mattered most, even when the kitchen was blown up, there was time for tools, america was all online for the first time, Kenny died, the pepsi was crystal, the arches were deluxe, should I go on? The 90s brought us here through the y2k.

You wanna say thy sucked, it had no personality, and blah, Homie don't play that, if you don't get it, whoop, tjere it was.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:29 PM

794 posts, read 818,636 times
The 90's were the end imo. I can even pinpoint it to 1994 as the rollover change point. From 1995 on, things became pretty much as they are now. 1994 was the end of the late 70's and 80's era (imo the best entertainment and tech wise). 1995 was a horrid year followed by each successive horrid year.

I often feel like I am the luckiest age. I was 18 in 1991.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
The 90's were the end imo. I can even pinpoint it to 1994 as the rollover change point. From 1995 on, things became pretty much as they are now. 1994 was the end of the late 70's and 80's era (imo the best entertainment and tech wise). 1995 was a horrid year followed by each successive horrid year.

I often feel like I am the luckiest age. I was 18 in 1991.
So odd. I was 18 in 2001, and feel that 2005 was the beginning of the end, and 2007 was the end (musically at least).

Old 01-01-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
So odd. I was 18 in 2001, and feel that 2005 was the beginning of the end, and 2007 was the end (musically at least).
Maybe it's a natural cycle humans feel?

Seriously though, 2005 is exactly the same as anything back to about 95. No one could ever say the same thing about 1985 compared to 1995. Totes magotes.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's a natural cycle humans feel?
I speculated that in another thread.

It could be that as we age we simply have less time or interest in maintaining extreme interest in pop culture and the latest technologies.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I speculated that in another thread.

It could be that as we age we simply have less time or interest in maintaining extreme interest in pop culture and the latest technologies.
Definitely possible, no doubt there. I do believe however that post 95 there has been a massive shift from people driven culture to corporate driven culture. To me, it's as if the grunge phase of the early 90's was the last youth culture wave that was organic and not controlled my our media masters. Since about 95 it seems like every cultural event (music and style wise) has been fed to the youth rather than the youth creating it and the corporate culture trying to play catch up.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Definitely possible, no doubt there. I do believe however that post 95 there has been a massive shift from people driven culture to corporate driven culture. To me, it's as if the grunge phase of the early 90's was the last youth culture wave that was organic and not controlled my our media masters. Since about 95 it seems like every cultural event (music and style wise) has been fed to the youth rather than the youth creating it and the corporate culture trying to play catch up.
Totally agree.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
My last intern was born in 1993. When she said it I was like "ugh I was 10 years old in 93" and i felt like it was a long time because I was 10 a long time ago. Our current intern was born in 1998 when she said that I was like "what! 98? how are you even walking! 98 was JUST yesterday"

Perspective

Old 01-05-2015, 03:14 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
Quote:
My theory is it has to do with the fall of communism. That happened in 1991 but it took several years to really kick in. After the Cold War was over, the Left died and the corporate apologists went nuts with privatizing and making everything about money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts