Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:19 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
When the Rolling Stones became a septuagenarian rock band.
Pop culture is one thing. The Rolling Stones are another. They've been removed from pop culture for 30 years. Saw them 3 times this Summer. They ROKT! The Stones are so far removed from pop culture they make Justin Bieber look relevant, and Michael Jackson look like something other than a little boy diddler.
Got less to do with pop culture now than ever, and I get down on my knees and pray for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_btCZWi1jkg

Some people just miss the whole point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Since the Internet age.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:23 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Pop culture has just gotten crappier and crappier since about the late 80's and seems like every couple years it just gets worse.

I can't tell you who's even popular now.... I hear names of people but I couldn't tell you the names of any songs they have that are "hits"

I was watching a clip on YouTube with Cory Taylor from Slipknot and he was railing about pop music and how so much of it is just canned soulless garbage.

I've been saying that about the current music trends for years now.... The media is just blasting you stuff and none of it really appeals to me... I prefer metal and hard rock and even some of the newer heavy bands coming out just aren't really grabbing me... I'm trying to get into them... just cause I don't want to be one of the older guys who drone on about how things were so much better back in the day... blah blah blah....

Octane on Sirus plays current hard rock/metal... and I find myself just turning it off after awhile cause...IDK.... a lot of it sucks.....

If anyone can turn me on to some of the newer hard rock or metal bands, post away... I'm always on the look out for newer stuff...... You can only listen to Ozzy's boneyard so much...

Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,826,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Pop culture has just gotten crappier and crappier since about the late 80's and seems like every couple years it just gets worse.

I can't tell you who's even popular now.... I hear names of people but I couldn't tell you the names of any songs they have that are "hits"

I was watching a clip on YouTube with Cory Taylor from Slipknot and he was railing about pop music and how so much of it is just canned soulless garbage.

I've been saying that about the current music trends for years now.... The media is just blasting you stuff and none of it really appeals to me... I prefer metal and hard rock and even some of the newer heavy bands coming out just aren't really grabbing me... I'm trying to get into them... just cause I don't want to be one of the older guys who drone on about how things were so much better back in the day... blah blah blah....

Octane on Sirus plays current hard rock/metal... and I find myself just turning it off after awhile cause...IDK.... a lot of it sucks.....

If anyone can turn me on to some of the newer hard rock or metal bands, post away... I'm always on the look out for newer stuff...... You can only listen to Ozzy's boneyard so much...
I actaully don't know too much recent metal, I do ofen try to find foriegn bands, like Unsun, and Guano Apes. I guess these new metal bands are what the call NuMetal, none of my friends listen to it. The newest song on my phone is Cut The Chord, second newest are two songs from Eminems Rap God album, everything else is older by three or so years, or more.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
I usually don't even know what it is and by the time I find out it's moved on without me.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
I chucked it later than most people. It was at least 8 years ago when I was in my 50's.

I was getting ready for work one morning when I got disgusted enough with the radio station to switch it off forever, and I never went back. I'd already been out of touch with most of the pop music for quite some time, and I hated what pop radio stations had become. The "disc jockeys" acted like imbeciles and were often very offensive.

The music was like fingernails raking across a blackboard. All the female singers suddenly sounded like little girls after Brittany Spears got popular, hip-hop was sounding all the same, and there were hardly any rock bands that I liked. There was almost nothing that sounded good.

Like one poster said above, I have no clue who's popular anymore. When I watch a music awards show, which is pretty rare, I don't know who any of them are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts