Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 01:06 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
The best thing I ever did was invest in a home theater system for my home. Nothing nicer than watching a movie on a 100" screen in your very own home with awesome, mind blowing speakers and subs; sitting on your nice movie theater seats.
You can build a home theater pretty cheap If you have some space for it. A refurb projector can be had for about $550. A white wall can be a screen. An existing stereo sound system might have a receiver with theater sound capabilities.
My system is an evolving hobby and changes as time passes. I bought a pull down 120" screen from an eBay seller for about $70. I got a great speaker system with a subwoofer that shakes the house from a thrift store for $100.

I still like to go out to a theater to see certain blockbuster movies. Yeah, I would pay more for a better experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 01:23 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I had a great experience seeing Star Wars this evening. The local theater has multiple screens, and IMAX and an RPX theater (better sound and first class style seating). It was also RESERVED SEATING for this particular movie. Yeah, it cost a few bucks more but I've learned that most people won't pony up the extra $$ for that theater and would rather upgrade to IMAX or stay in a regular theater so the class of people always seems better and haven't seen a whiny kid there yet.

Usually I see smaller movies and indie films at a place that serves wine/beer and food. I go during the week mostly and rarely have I seen a child in that place.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:39 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
I have a nice AMC 16 2 blocks away with stadium seating. Very nice, but crowded. Last Wednesday I tried this local AMC 7 makeover which used to be an Edwards Cinema. OMG!! It has RECLINERS for seats (yes, like your Barcalounger and a good 5 feet of space in front of your seat. I'm barely that comfortable AT HOME. Found my new theater. The only problem is trying to stay awake, it's so comfy.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times
H'mm. I am now fondly remembering the old drive-in theaters of the 50's and 60's.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 AM

658 posts, read 1,142,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Just wait for the dvd. With the new HD televisions the experience is infinitely better at home. The last time I went to a movie theater was in 2003.

why would someone watch a DVD on an HDTV?

Old 12-28-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I had a great experience seeing Star Wars this evening. The local theater has multiple screens, and IMAX and an RPX theater (better sound and first class style seating). It was also RESERVED SEATING for this particular movie. Yeah, it cost a few bucks more but I've learned that most people won't pony up the extra $$ for that theater and would rather upgrade to IMAX or stay in a regular theater so the class of people always seems better and haven't seen a whiny kid there yet.

Usually I see smaller movies and indie films at a place that serves wine/beer and food. I go during the week mostly and rarely have I seen a child in that place.

RPX >>> Imax.

While the visual screen format is a bit less, the massively superior sound more than compensates.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
I have a nice AMC 16 2 blocks away with stadium seating. Very nice, but crowded. Last Wednesday I tried this local AMC 7 makeover which used to be an Edwards Cinema. OMG!! It has RECLINERS for seats (yes, like your Barcalounger and a good 5 feet of space in front of your seat. I'm barely that comfortable AT HOME. Found my new theater. The only problem is trying to stay awake, it's so comfy.

I live pretty much in a 3rd tier metro area, and we have a local theater that has them {recliners on reserved seating} (and their equivalent of "RPX" , granted it's not Regal chain... but 2x screen size, 100kw sound, 11.8 audio, blah blah blah) and they serve craft beer and wine. Yes, a 3 hour movie might cause Mr O'Cola to go nappy nap if it's boring.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:47 AM

25 posts, read 26,019 times
phone calls receiving during the movie is very bad habit of the people now a days.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:32 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,720,754 times
Default Annoying inconsiderate behaviour is not new

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I recently saw "The Martian", and unless things change, I think this is the last movie I will ever see in a movie theater. The whole experience was ruined by clueless people talking and also the lights from a few in the audience using their smartphones during the performance. What the heck is wrong with people these days.
I swear if a theater offered a way to make sure this did not happen, I would pay $20 extra just so I could enjoy the movie. The heck with 3D! Just make it so that I can lose myself in the movie like the old days.

Annoyinginconsiderate behaviour at movie theatres is not new, but the culperates have new toys to play with. There are always some people that do inconsiderate stuff in the movie theatre. I remember it as a kid, teen and an adult. I hated people talking during a movie when I was a kid and I still hate it as an adult. Only the methods of being annoying and inconsiderate have changed !

Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 PM

777 posts, read 880,612 times
I am bothered by having to sit through a half-hour of commercials
and trailers. They are the downside of digital conversion. Distributors,
when movie ran 35mm, could only fit a limited amount of trailers on a reel.

Now, I feel as if I'm watching "television in public" to quoth Quentin Tarantino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts