Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 06:32 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,770,190 times

Advertisements

I don't know about privacy rules and what's considered a wire tap rule where you can't record someone without their knowledge.

also I don't know where else to put this topic so I put it here.

Here is the situation. I'm in a bad roommate situation and the person I rent from thinks he's a tough guy, I gave 30 days notice but if he comes knocking at my door aggressively am I allowed to video tape or audio tape it?

He runs a little boarding house. Built an extra room in the living room after I moved it so now I have to share the bathroom and kitchen with another person.

Also he has had a homeless girl sleep on the couch in the common area living room a few times

also his older son and girlfriend slept over one night after the second time of drunken loud laughing and yelling in 3 days.

am I allowed to take pictures of them to present in small claims court if it happens again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 06:38 AM

393 posts, read 360,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I don't know about privacy rules and what's considered a wire tap rule where you can't record someone without their knowledge.

also I don't know where else to put this topic so I put it here.

Here is the situation. I'm in a bad roommate situation and the person I rent from thinks he's a tough guy, I gave 30 days notice but if he comes knocking at my door aggressively am I allowed to video tape or audio tape it?

He runs a little boarding house. Built an extra room in the living room after I moved it so now I have to share the bathroom and kitchen with another person.

Also he has had a homeless girl sleep on the couch in the common area living room a few times

also his older son and girlfriend slept over one night after the second time of drunken loud laughing and yelling in 3 days.

am I allowed to take pictures of them to present in small claims court if it happens again?
Laws are different by state. What are you planning to do in small claims court? I think he can rent to anyone he wants. If the sharing bathroom and kitchen is what is bothering you, that might not be enough, especially since you said he runs a boarding house which implies a lot of shared space/community areas.

I would lay low and wait out the 30 days. Get out of there and make a better decision next time.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:44 AM

Also, in a nutshell...yes you can sort of do whatever you want in your house
The flip side to that would be if someone was renting to someone else and installed a hidden camera in their room or something, pretty sure that is illegal

Old 12-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
Also, in a nutshell...yes you can sort of do whatever you want in your house
The flip side to that would be if someone was renting to someone else and installed a hidden camera in their room or something, pretty sure that is illegal
I thought there were laws like recording phone calls where video taping in a private area is not allowed. I think if you live there it's okay or if you are in danger, I know if public places like outside the home where you can't expect privacy you are allowed to tape without consent.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post

I would lay low and wait out the 30 days. Get out of there and make a better decision next time.
The problem is that people don't tell you they are dirtbags when you go to rent a place. This idiot, a month after I move in, with him and his so called wife sharing a room and me and an old man in the other 2 bedrooms decides to change the deal and close off a section of the living room, ,make another room and rent it out, so now another person has to share a bathroom, that 3, because the grifters have their own bathroom and 5 people have to share a small kitchen.

Thanksgiving weekend they had a party of Saturday night until 3 in the morning in the living room and again on Tuesday night. Then 2 people slept on the couch until Wednesday morning. when I complained about the noise they blamed me for going to sleep too early. 0

The lady who they rented the living room closed closet to is sick. So thanksgiving night she had to go to the hospital because her brain shunt was infected, I had to watch her dogs and my own for 5 days. These grifters went to visit her, I'm thinking they are not that bad.

Oh no, they are worse than I ever expected. This is Saturday the 28th before their late party. Her rent was not due until Tuesday but they made her pay it early. She was on IV antibiotics and strong pain pills so they made her give them the last $20 in her wallet and her ATM card and pin number to take the rest of the rent out the bank. She was home on the 30th anyway. they don't think anything they do is wrong or vile and disgusting.

Oh and the comcast wifi was off for the 3rd time in 3 months for non payment.

The wife has the nerve to ask the sick roommate if they know why I gave notice to move. They are clueless as to all the disgusting things they do and never take responsibility for their action and blame everyone else.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:22 AM

620 posts, read 639,224 times
Entertainment and Arts???

Old 12-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
I think I meant to put it in the technology section with cell phones and messed up will you move it for me, tia

Old 12-06-2015, 11:55 AM

620 posts, read 639,224 times
Sorry, no can do. No one around here trusts me with moderator powers (probably rightfully so).

Old 12-06-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I thought there were laws like recording phone calls where video taping in a private area is not allowed. I think if you live there it's okay or if you are in danger, I know if public places like outside the home where you can't expect privacy you are allowed to tape without consent.
I said video taping in a rental was probably illegal. Yes, in most places it is illegal to record someone on phone or otherwise without their consent.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandex View Post
which gets into the videotaping, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts