Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 05:52 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,302,471 times

Advertisements

In some countries there are nationally- and industry-recognized schools specifically to groom actors and actresses. Students come out possessing the basic skills needed to be an actor/actress (not that most will make it big or even just make it).

Is there such a thing in the US? I did a rough search, the suggestions seem to center around "take part in high school plays and musical", "study theatre or drama in university", "practice", "get agent"... This does not seem like a very focused path.

Is there a "Harvard of the acting schools"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 06:40 PM

102,197 posts, read 107,842,460 times
No. Try Russia. Though it's a little late. Usually, the training starts in special grade schools and/or high schools. By adulthood, you're supposed to already be trained and educated for a specific career.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:28 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,234,324 times
Is there a "Harvard of the acting schools"?

Julliard? NYU Tisch School for the Arts?

I blog about movies and often write about the creator backgrounds. Many movie actors did get formal training. Some didn't. Some went to college. Some didn't.

Actors that get consistent work & make a lifetime career out of it, tend to have gotten formal training & got degrees in theater arts or drama. E.g. Gary Oldman, Jim Parsons (Sheldon from Big Bang Theory), Michael Rooker ("Merle" from Walking dead... lol he often gets redneck idiot roles but is quite intellectual in real life), Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones). These people are often not stars, though. But they get consistent work, which in show business is success. Some went to college but studied something else & just got into acting through volunteering for plays. E.g.: Alan Alda. Some went to college and dropped out, e.g.: Anthony Rapp, Carrie Fisher.

For actors that become major movie & TV stars, there are more intangible factors involved than just technical skill that can be taught in college & by mentors. They often have that "something" that can't really be taught, and it's about 50/50 that they got formal training. Most of them got a lot of practice in local productions & got a lucky break either through a connection or being in the right place at right time. However, their status as stars is often dependent on the fashions of the time, their connections, etc... E.g.: Carrie Fisher was the daughter of a major movie star and music star, Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher. Her connections helped. Also her particular style was perfectly suited for the late 70s, early 80s. Then she wasn't able to maintain it for a variety of reasons. It's very hard to be a star for a whole career.

Last edited by redguard57; 01-24-2020 at 07:40 PM..

Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No. Try Russia. Though it's a little late. Usually, the training starts in special grade schools and/or high schools. By adulthood, you're supposed to already be trained and educated for a specific career.
Not for me; but I know some kid who has the looks for this line of work.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Looks are not acting skills. Many top acting school like Juilliard, NYU or Yale School of Drama.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Looks are not acting skills. Many top acting school like Juilliard, NYU or Yale School of Drama.
Not a skill, but it is a critical "quality", no?

Old 01-27-2020, 11:06 AM

8,060 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
The kid also has to want to do it. J.K. Rowling lamented that she had found her "perfect Harry" in Ireland while they were casting the first movie, but he wasn't an actor, so that was that.

I know a family whose young daughter has had bit parts in major Hollywood films, but I have no idea how they got hooked up with the business. It might have just been a case of some talent agent catching a glimpse of her somewhere, or the Mom signing her up for a contest. The point is, she did not go to acting school.

Old 01-27-2020, 04:16 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,766,208 times
The best formal actor training we have in the U.S. is at a handful of private schools that are widely acknowledged for putting out top acting talent: NYU Tisch, Julliard, Yale School of Drama, Carnegie-Mellon, and the American Conservatory Theater (in San Francisco). I think as far as formal training goes, these are considered the gold standard.

Obviously though, really talented actors can come from a lot of other places.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:33 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
The Actors Studio is another one and of course, there was Lee Strasberg

Old 01-28-2020, 09:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Not a skill, but it is a critical "quality", no?
Not always. Plenty of "average" looking actors out there.

William H. Macy, Nick Cage, Kathy Bates, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts