Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,933,539 times

Advertisements

I've been watching old tv shows to try to relax. I figured I'd watch the shows I grew up with. The tv shows I grew up with were not nearly as happy as I remember.

For example, I turn on the Golden Girls. This episode is "brother can you spare a dime" about homelessness. The girls end up in a homeless shelter and meet an old woman (Sophia's friend from Shady Pines) who ends up, penniless, there, an alcoholic who is also a PHd, etc. I mean, I thought this show was a comedy? So depressing.

Then I turn on Little House on the Prairie. I loved Little House when I was a little girl. Apparently, my parents didn't let me watch all of the episodes. There's one about a 15 year old girl named Sylvia who develops breasts early, is spied upon by wretched little boys, is raped, ends up pregnant, is going to marry Albert (who had been adopted by the Ingalls) and, instead, ends being attacked by her rapist and dying (partially because of stupid Albert). WTH.

I didn't want to resort to SpongeBob, but it might happen.

Old 04-05-2020, 09:26 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,134,864 times
I've been watching the Andy Griffith show for months now. While most of the episodes are full of warm fuzzies, or just kinda silly and entertaining, there are a fair few that also try to teach morals or address social issues of the day. I think that's pretty common in shows that were aimed at kids or families. I seem to remember that from a lot of the shows I used to watch as a youngster, and again in a lot of the shows my kids used to watch.
I can see where it would be depressing if you were looking for something heartwarming. Maybe just try to think of it as a 'teaching episode' and move right on to the next episode to take your mind from it? If not maybe you can find some of the old variety shows on you tube or something. Carol Burnett is always a good one IMO

Old 04-05-2020, 10:08 AM

3,122 posts, read 2,066,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I've been watching old tv shows to try to relax. I figured I'd watch the shows I grew up with. The tv shows I grew up with were not nearly as happy as I remember.

For example, I turn on the Golden Girls. This episode is "brother can you spare a dime" about homelessness. The girls end up in a homeless shelter and meet an old woman (Sophia's friend from Shady Pines) who ends up, penniless, there, an alcoholic who is also a PHd, etc. I mean, I thought this show was a comedy? So depressing.

Then I turn on Little House on the Prairie. I loved Little House when I was a little girl. Apparently, my parents didn't let me watch all of the episodes. There's one about a 15 year old girl named Sylvia who develops breasts early, is spied upon by wretched little boys, is raped, ends up pregnant, is going to marry Albert (who had been adopted by the Ingalls) and, instead, ends being attacked by her rapist and dying (partially because of stupid Albert). WTH.

I didn't want to resort to SpongeBob, but it might happen.

Comedy and drama shows are often used to address social and political issues, to make people aware, to change minds, etc. Golden Girls was all about that.

What about classic British comedy shows? The humor is different and you are farther removed from that society. Or British historical or costume dramas instead of Little House?

Old 04-06-2020, 10:18 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,884,817 times
You are talking about the late 60’s and early 70’s when television turned toward social issues triggered perhaps by the Vietnam War and civil rights protests. For many viewers the old Leave it to Beaver and Father knows Best pablum just got to be irrelevant and downright silly.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 5,457 times
Jesus that's a pretty intense episode of Little House. Can't really saw that I watched that much, but a lot of the 80s comedies had their darker moments, at least to my memory. Heck even the Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Saved By the Bell had some edge to them in certain episodes.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,151 times
And, of course, nearly every show with a somewhat younger demographic did its "Very Special Episodes," a flag that the family was not going to have some comic adventure that week.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:48 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,970,303 times
OP, I've watched both of thhose shows you're talking about. I remember that Little House on the Praire one exactly & probably seen the G Girls one too at one point. Yeah what timing to show those episodes during a time like this. But Little House has that ep about the (I think) scurvy fever that goes rampant in the community, so that ep might pop up again soon too.

I watched I think every Little House ep back in the 80s when it aired.

I like the old Gidget starring Sally Fields...got the DVD collection & so wish that show had lasted a LOT longer.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:13 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I've been watching the Andy Griffith show for months now. While most of the episodes are full of warm fuzzies, or just kinda silly and entertaining, there are a fair few that also try to teach morals or address social issues of the day. I think that's pretty common in shows that were aimed at kids or families.
I remember an episode where Andy and Barney were discussing a waitress in a "peek-a-boo blouse". Lascivious Barney is not a pleasant family-friendly memory.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:44 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Comedy and drama shows are often used to address social and political issues, to make people aware, to change minds, etc. Golden Girls was all about that.
Exactly. There are many others over the years. Family Matters had many, including the excellent episode where Eddie is pulled over and harassed by the two white police officers and Carl confronts them both in that diner. Fresh Prince of Bel Air had many as well, like the one where Will's father abandons him again and Will gets into that scrum at the pool hall that Uncle Phil bails him out of.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Not a fan of Andy Griffith but he was my BFFs dad's roommate at UNC and spent his collage summers at her grandmother's home in Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.