Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2022, 08:48 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It all just looks like a speed racer cartoon to me.
I loved Speed Racer as a kid! In fact I learned to tell time because of Speed Racer. It came on at 3:00.

Currently we are watching Attack on Titan (Sub) starting from S1E1 because my 20-something sons were appalled at my lack of enthusiasm for the new episodes. It's a really confusing show if you only kinda half pay attention but there's nothing like the Sub to focus one's attention.

Also currently watching Naruto Shippuden and The Promised Neverland (both Dub).

I got my son to watch an episode of Gigantor (found on some sketchy .ru mirror site, I think) and I was surprised at how primitive it was! But at least he got to hear the theme song I was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 09:05 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Im not judging really, im genuinely just curious what the appeal is
Aren't you though?

Quote:
Sure but should ppl in their 40’s like anime? in my opinion … it’s for kids

Old 03-09-2022, 09:32 AM

39 posts, read 35,584 times
Some of them are okay. I liked the Cowboy Bebop series, and when I was a kid and teenager I liked Dragon Ball Z and Inuyasha. I am 30 now, so most anime series feel childish to me and watching it is just not the same. Lots of the series are about high school students and magic, etc. The themes aren't very mature for grown folks, so I basically lost interest but there's nostalgia for what I used to like.

Old 03-09-2022, 10:08 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is sexy grade school girls martial arts fighter cartoons. Grade school warriors stuff. Sailor Moon is the only one I can name but that is an example of anime.
That would be wrong. It's not a genre, it's a medium. Simply animation from Japan. Encompasses all kinds of genres, from shows literally for babies to slice of life, sitcoms, scifi, fantasy, adventure, romcom, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
What you did was the equivalent of watching 1 episode of a sitcom that you didn't like (say 2 and 1/2 men which I thought was dumb) and as a result are writing off Cheers, Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory etc. because you don't like "sitcoms".
It's a lot like watching one episode of 2.5 men and writing off television entirely.

Old 03-09-2022, 01:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouSeeYourGypsy View Post
Some of them are okay. I liked the Cowboy Bebop series, and when I was a kid and teenager I liked Dragon Ball Z and Inuyasha. I am 30 now, so most anime series feel childish to me and watching it is just not the same. Lots of the series are about high school students and magic, etc. The themes aren't very mature for grown folks, so I basically lost interest but there's nostalgia for what I used to like.
Exactly. It’s geared to teens

Old 03-09-2022, 02:24 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Exactly. It’s geared to teens
And you've had several people tell you there is more than one type and that it's not all of it geared towards kids and teens.

https://animemotivation.com/why-adul...d-watch-anime/

Wait, let me ask, do you also think all the Batman, Aquaman, DC comics hero movies are only for kids too?

Last edited by DubbleT; 03-09-2022 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: question

Old 03-09-2022, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And you've had several people tell you there is more than one type and that it's not all of it geared towards kids and teens.

https://animemotivation.com/why-adul...d-watch-anime/

Wait, let me ask, do you also think all the Batman, Aquaman, DC comics hero movies are only for kids too?
I do. Why would I as a 40 year old woman be interested in superheros? Maybe bc i grew up around all girls, its different - but no. Those are for younger people typically … the marvel/dc target audience isnt 40 yr women

Theres nothing wrong with women my age liking it but it’s not geared toward us

Old 03-09-2022, 04:19 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
I do. Why would I as a 40 year old woman be interested in superheros? Maybe bc i grew up around all girls, its different - but no. Those are for younger people typically … the marvel/dc target audience isnt 40 yr women

You keep saying this. No one is asking you to, or expecting you to like it. Other people may be though, I don't get why you care? Not everyone likes the same thing. It's normal.

Old 03-09-2022, 04:27 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:

So people are only allowed to enjoy things that specifically geared toward them? Pretty small boxes you're packing everyone in.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
So people are only allowed to enjoy things that specifically geared toward them? Pretty small boxes you're packing everyone in.
Never said that. Just trying to understand why & what kind of ppl these things appeal to. I did not grow up with brothers. I was never into superheros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts