Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 07:40 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times

Advertisements

They are human beings. Some are intelligent, some are not. Just because you are talented, that doesn't mean you are smart. Acting and memorizing lines don't make someone smart.

But, many are highly intelligent as seen bu the producers, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 04:08 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times
Not necessarily. But many of the good ones are introverts. Introverts, myself included, have the gift of observing others. This helps immensely when trying to portray someone different than you.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:50 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've been thinking about this issue ever since watching Johnny Depp closely during his recent trial, and also, listening to him in interviews on YouTube videos explain his acting techniques and how he embodied various characters. I found it fascinating. I came to the conclusion that he is highly intelligent, and has a very high emotional quotient as well (compassion, intuition, suspension of reality).

There are so many remarkable actors (both genders) and I think they were likely very intelligent too.

The entertainment world is full of drugs so it's easy to fall into that. But I've also noticed in my personal life that highly intelligent people get bored easily and often like to have altered experiences. I started noticing this back in the days of psychedelics (LSD, mushrooms, etc.) I think that's what people like Johnny Depp end up doing -- along with trying to numb out negative experiences (that's an issue for a different thread).

What do you think?
Speaking of Johnny Depp, his despicable ex-wife Amber Heard is supposed to have a pretty close percentage to a perfect face:

Quote:
As reported by Unilad, British cosmetic surgeon Dr Julian De Silva found in a study that Amber's face was exactly 91.85% close to perfect by using digital facial-mapping technology. He conducted his research back in 2016, and used the Greek Golden Ratio of Beauty of 1.618, otherwise known as 'Phi.Jun 22, 2022
As far as intelligence, yes, it takes a fair amount to have the kind of talent and control of one's mind and body to make a good actor. That's how I see it.

Actors with very high IQ's, Geena Davis - 140, Sharon Stone - 154, (both Mensa members, I believe) and numerous others like Jodie Foster - 132, Nicole Kidman, 132, Arnold Swartzenneger - 132 and the highest that I know of....James Woods - 180. I'd say that it does require intelligence to be a huge success as a movie star/actor.

Old 10-16-2023, 09:05 PM

1,100 posts, read 430,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post

Actors with very high IQ's, Geena Davis - 140, Sharon Stone - 154, (both Mensa members, I believe) and numerous others like Jodie Foster - 132, Nicole Kidman, 132, Arnold Swartzenneger - 132 and the highest that I know of....James Woods - 180. I'd say that it does require intelligence to be a huge success as a movie star/actor.
Those are all great, great actors except Arnold (Arnold is good not great), but...Arnold is Arnold. No one on this planet could have played The Terminator better.

I agree. Like I said, I'm a smart guy (not IQs like them lol) and could never memorize a whole script let alone with a whole movie production in my face that I'd be trying to ignore. Talent is definitely a part of it, but you've gotta have smarts I think.

My current "it" actress that I'm so impressed with is Maura Tierney. I guarantee she's smart. She can make faces up there with De Niro she's so good. Watch the show The Affair.

Old 10-21-2023, 08:46 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,735,742 times
No but many think they are.. to the point of thinking theyre wise sears who can tell everyone whats what and to put the world to rights.... although they dont have a clue.. and should stick to acting..

Old 10-23-2023, 06:52 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehrmantraut View Post
Those are all great, great actors except Arnold (Arnold is good not great), but...Arnold is Arnold. No one on this planet could have played The Terminator better.

I agree. Like I said, I'm a smart guy (not IQs like them lol) and could never memorize a whole script let alone with a whole movie production in my face that I'd be trying to ignore. Talent is definitely a part of it, but you've gotta have smarts I think.

My current "it" actress that I'm so impressed with is Maura Tierney. I guarantee she's smart. She can make faces up there with De Niro she's so good. Watch the show The Affair.
I thought the OP meant successful & famous, not necessarily good at acting. Arnie sucks but it's funny that you should mention The Terminator, it's my favorite movie. Of all time. Yep. The love story, action, and the fact that it's science fiction. To me, other than comedy, those are essential. I'm a huge science-fiction fan of TV shows and movies. Not so much to read it.

I have liked Maura ever since ER. She's been in several movies also, including Liar, Liar. She's good. I'm going to look to see if I can watch an episode of The Affair, I've never seen it. Her IQ.....drumroll please......I couldn't find it. But she's got to be smart, right?

Old 10-23-2023, 07:26 PM

1,100 posts, read 430,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post

I have liked Maura ever since ER. She's been in several movies also, including Liar, Liar. She's good. I'm going to look to see if I can watch an episode of The Affair, I've never seen it. Her IQ.....drumroll please......I couldn't find it. But she's got to be smart, right?

It's a Showtime show. Everyone is excellent but Maura is my favorite. I would highly, highly recommend it.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:47 PM

1,701 posts, read 781,038 times
It’s a job like anything else, they are experts in their craft and that’s no small feat no matter what a person does. I think people who excel in a craft are highly intelligent in what they do.

Could Mozart pass a really hard math test? Who knows, but he was still brilliant.

Could Mike Tyson do brain surgery? Hell no… But he is brilliant in hand to hand combat.

No one who is Brilliant at a craft is an absolute idiot, it takes intelligence to excel.

Old 10-26-2023, 08:20 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Actors highly intelligent? I submit two words....Marlon Brando. Case closed.

Old 10-27-2023, 02:28 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Actors highly intelligent? I submit two words....Marlon Brando. Case closed.
As in he is or isn't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts