Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 05:27 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

I subscribed to $9 Amazon Prime video to watch upcoming Live Patrol on Reelz.

I have a Netflix DVD subscription that ships DVDs slow, and I wanted to see if I could watch some of those movies on Amazon Prime video. Speed up the process.

I have 350 movies listed in my Netflix DVD queue. I checked all 350 on Amazon Prime video.

32 movies in my Netflix queue are available for free with no adds with Amazon Prime video. Less than 10% of my list.

28 movies are available with adds. Well, that is bull**** and still less than 10%.

Another 10% were free with some paid channel subscription. No thanks.

Another 15% of the DVDs on my Netflix list were "currently unavailable" on Amazon Prime video.

A full 55% of all of the movies on my Netflix list are only available for paid rental fee of $1.99 to $9.99. Most being $2.99 to $4.99. So average $4 for all the rentals I would watch.

10 movies, $40. 100 movies, $400. Rip off in this day and age.

So far I am finding the $9 Amazon Prime video to be a bad value. Live Patrol on Reelz will make it better, but this is still a bad value. I get it that is only $9/mo and what is that these days, but renting movies nightly at $4 to $5 a pop gets expensive quickly. Heaven forbid you rent 2 back to back.

And don't think for a minute the DVD titles on my Netflix queue are all blockbuster, top billing, super great 4-star films either. A lot of these movies are crap that I can't stand to finish and send them back half watched.

We will see how much I have to pay for Reelz and then how much they charge me to subscribe to Live Patrol. It will probably double my cost.

I have a feeling I may be canceling soon.

Meanwhile, the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is really well done. I am enjoying that on Amazon Prime video. The only saving grace in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 05:39 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Yes Amazon Prime has nothing good. Most of the movies that are free on amazon prime can be found on Tubi or other free streaming services.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:44 PM

That is a good point. Who has a lot of content at a good price? Everything seems so limited on content. When Netflix was new, they had EVERYTHING. Slow, but one price and you could watch anything. No more, since the content is so compartmentalized these days.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:52 PM

7 posts, read 7,587 times
For the $9, youre much better off w/ Netflix movie streaming.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzAugust View Post
For the $9, youre much better off w/ Netflix movie streaming.
Tried it, I couldn't find anything I liked. It was dismal. Most everything seemed to be recent content. I like older movies as well as newer. Or did I misuse the service or something? I had Netflix streaming for 2 weeks and cancelled. I couldn't find jack I wanted to watch.

I am sure it is better suited to you but it didn't match well with my tastes and viewing habits.

But I do appreciate your help.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:03 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I subscribe for free shipping. I hardly use the programming.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:12 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Tried it, I couldn't find anything I liked. It was dismal.
The problem is all streaming services are getting their product from Hollywood which is horrible.

My number one thing to watch is you tube. The things you can find on there! If you have thought it... you can find a great video on it. And things you have never actually thought of.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:15 PM

Amen. I watch a lot of pre-2005 movies and that is most of my list. Maybe 10% of my list is post 2005 and I figure if I steam it, I can always quit watching after 15 minutes when it stinks.

All of the Amazon Prime "currently unavailable" were older movies of course.

Hollywood post 2010 is essentially unwatchable, with a rare gem, and a few others that slip through the cracks. I find Aussie films more watchable for goodness sakes. That should not be. Hollywood is buried in money but those who run it are fools who place CGI over screenwriting.

When did Hollywood quit hiring and paying writers. Movie scripts are atrocious today. That is my main complaint. The writing is just rotten.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:04 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
The thing with pretty much all of the streaming services ... if you're looking for specific things, you're going to be disappointed. If you're interested in browsing and discovering new things to watch, you'll probably get your money's worth and then some.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
AP claims to have something like 20k free movies...but:

19k of them are Bollywood.
900 of them are Steven Seagal movies.
That leaves 100 movies of which 90 are old, 5 are their own creations which leaves 5 newerish movies.

The rest have ads or are rentals so yeah AP movies kind of suck for most people.

However!

I tend to like the older 70-80s movies and for the price of Prime I also get free shipping which Netflix does not do...plus, Netflix was being woke programmed by the Obamas and company...so no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts