Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 AM

46 posts, read 55,645 times

Advertisements

Since the group (The Jackson Five) didn't pass, it was Michael Jackson, why are marching bands playing Jackson Five/The Jacksons tunes? I can understand that Michael was the lead singer of the group, but "THE GROUP" did not pass, he did. Now, I could understand if he only made albums with the Jackson Five/The Jacksons, no, this guy had several SOLO albums and won several Grammys on his SOLO work.

An example of this analogy, if Bobby Brown was to pass today, is everybody going to be playing a lot of New Edition although he several solo albums? Or if Teddy Pendergrass pass away today, is your band going to be playing the songs from solo work or work from Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes cause he was a member and the drummer?

So, I ask:

Why are marching bands playing Jackson Five/The Jacksons tunes instead of Michael Jackson solo tunes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 09:21 AM

46 posts, read 55,645 times

YouTube - 2009 Southern University Halftime @ ULL

Old 09-14-2009, 10:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
My bet would be issues of copyright, pre-existing arrangements or ease of arranging a song for that many pieces, but I suspect that copyright is probably the biggest.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:29 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panter88 View Post
Since the group (The Jackson Five) didn't pass, it was Michael Jackson, why are marching bands playing Jackson Five/The Jacksons tunes? I can understand that Michael was the lead singer of the group, but "THE GROUP" did not pass, he did. Now, I could understand if he only made albums with the Jackson Five/The Jacksons, no, this guy had several SOLO albums and won several Grammys on his SOLO work.

An example of this analogy, if Bobby Brown was to pass today, is everybody going to be playing a lot of New Edition although he several solo albums? Or if Teddy Pendergrass pass away today, is your band going to be playing the songs from solo work or work from Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes cause he was a member and the drummer?

So, I ask:

Why are marching bands playing Jackson Five/The Jacksons tunes instead of Michael Jackson solo tunes?
I don't think it's as urgent as you make it out to be. The specific bands may choose which songs because it may be more popular/easier or something like that. Yes it was his brothers with the J5 but everyone knows he made that group. That is why when they split up and MJ went out on his own, the Jacksons s*cked after that. There's no denying that.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 AM

69 posts, read 232,993 times
Hey, I was member of the Jackson State University marching band and let me be the one to tell bands have been playing his songs for years! Every year I was in the band(2000-2003) we played "P.Y.T", "Working Day "N" Night" regularly. My band played a lot of popular songs from Micheal Jackson and Earth Wind & Fire to Lil Jon, Jay-Z and Cashmoney Records. The reason I am telling you that is to be honest a lot of artists as much as they care about making their money could care less about copyright laws as far a marching bands go. Most artist wouldn't even waste their time on a lawsuit like that.

Now, back to Micheal Jackson say what you want about him but the man was a icon! Marching bands playing his music really shouldn't suprise you. Even though the Jackson 5 was group as opposed to MJ being a solo artist, MJ was still a HUGE part of that group so that's why they will still play J5 music. Hope that explains a lot to you.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:03 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panter88 View Post

So, I ask:

Guess it depends on the band. I went to an HBCU and we played

- PYT
- Don't stop Till You Get Enough
- I Want You Back
- Dance Machine
- ABC

And we played them while he was alive (I'm sure they still play them now that he's dead)

Old 09-22-2009, 02:29 PM

Which HBCU did you attend natalay?

Old 09-23-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADshock81 View Post
Which HBCU did you attend natalay?
Bethune Cookman in Daytona

Old 09-24-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Bethune Cookman in Daytona
Oh ok, you're a Wildcat I see. Nice.......Do you still attend the Florida Classic? I went down for that back in 1998 when I was still in high school.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADshock81 View Post
Oh ok, you're a Wildcat I see. Nice.......Do you still attend the Florida Classic? I went down for that back in 1998 when I was still in high school.
Haven't been since 06 - it's not as much fun as it used to be. The whole "friendly rivalry" vibe of it is gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts