Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM

8 posts, read 26,425 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This is a first time post. I have been debating making a move and really many think I am crazy for doing this at this time but I just can’t take the corporate world anymore or the heat of Arizona. So were going to do the unthinkable.

My wife and I are thinking about moving from the Chandler, AZ to the Eugene area. A recent power outage here in AZ that left 80,000 + residents without power in the middle of the summer left me with the fear that if the grid ever went down here in AZ there would be many dead people and this huge metropolis would become a battle zone if people got desperate.

Well I figured I could purchase a home outright for about $250K. The idea is to become totally off grid and grow enough to sustain ourselves to a certain extent (chickens, milking goats, gardens etc - 5 to 10 arcres). Oregon gets enough natural rainfall that is seems doable.

My wife is a nurse so she needs to be somewhat within reasonable commuting distance to a hospital, which I understand the largest hospital is in Springfield. Also I would need to be able to get my kids to a decent schools with good families and low crime.

Could anyone give me any idea where in the outlying areas would be the best place to obtain that type of lifestyle to get somewhat self sustainable living. I suppose one that would satisfy my personal wants of a rural lifestyle but also giving outlets for the kids and wife for social activities. Both my wife and I are fairly educated so likeminded people would be nice. I would want some are that is friendly and low crime. I also need to commute to town without driving too far...

Thanks for any guidance…

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Oh, also where are the good lakes and rivers for traditional fishing and fly fishing in the area. We like hunting, fishing, and hiking.

Last edited by revelation2012; 07-19-2011 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
There is big difference of course between being say 25% or a bit more food self-sufficient and reliably getting 75-100%, and being a low or as needed draw on the electric grid compared to being totally off it and totally dependent of the alternatives. Taking it in phases might be prudent / realistic for most people with such ambitions. It will take a good to great amount of knowledge, time and money to get set-up and get it all working well. I don't know your background with farming but if you are looking for additional information you might check the self-sufficiency and preparedness, rural and small town living and garden forums listed on the forum index for a start then move onto other even more detailed resources.

There is going to some trade-off between commute time to Springfield, social activities for family members, schools & amount of college educated neighbors and real estate prices for a home with acreage. I don't know if you could find land you like at a price you like in areas like north of Marcola, on Upper Camp Creek Road or east of Walterville, or south of Springfield near Pleasant Hill or out Cloverdale Road. These are just guesses of a non-local / visitor who has thought of possibly moving to the area and poked around a little bit. They are relatively near-in areas where it might be nice if it could work out. You can check on some real estate sites and see what you can find in those areas or maybe a local will chime in with better advice. If most or all of those areas are too expensive, and they might be depending on the amount of acreage desired / required and your upper price limit, then you might have to look further out, maybe north of Coburg in southern Linn County or maybe even up to Brownsville / Crawfordsville or maybe down around Cottage Grove. Finding the right land / right price and a commute length / distance for urban services & amenities that is tolerable for the long-term could be challenging.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-21-2011 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM

I apreciate the feedback. I do understand that my goals would come in phases. My first effort would be to secure a nice piece of property and then move in the direction I would eventually like to end up. Being 100% off grid I do not think is attainable with traditional construction and that it probably relaistaclly what I would be looking at, haivng to provide immediate shelter for the family. Looking at one of the out lying cities you mentioned I saw some places that look absolutely lovely within my price range. I think perhaps a trip out there is the next phase. One in particualr was an area claled HomeSweet. Lots of farm/horse type property with some butting up against the river. Anyone familiar with this area?

EDIT: It seems research shows arsenic to be an issue with groundwater here. Is this a general issue in this area?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:01 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,798,353 times
You are probably referring to the town of Sweet Home.

Here are some threads you can read about it:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=30718343
(these are just the ones with Sweet Home in the title. They appear to be many more where Sweet Home is mentioned in the body of the thread. You could find more if you want to by using the search tool to find all those others with mentions anywhere in the post.)

And here is some background data from citydata:
//www.city-data.com/city/Sweet-Home-Oregon.html

Commute to Springfield looks like about 45 miles if one used the interstate as much as possible, maybe a bit less if you used all backroads. Might want to time it if you visit and before making a decision.

Renting a year would give you lots more time to learn about the area and find the best long-term fit by most or all of the key criteria.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-21-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
You are probably referring to the town of Sweet Home.

Here are some threads you can read about it:
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=30718343
That type of "searchid" does not seem to pass on to others...

Rich

Old 07-25-2011, 12:31 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,769 times
If I were you, I'd consider buying in Lorane or Pleasant Hill... In Eugene, there's Peace Health Hospital... Springfield has Riverbend... Junction City is nice, also.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:33 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,769 times
About the water: I see online info about arsenic too but a simple water filter, it would seem, would be the answer. The water in Springfield & Eugene comes from the McKenzie River & as far as I know, is among the best.

The website I saw that reported arsenic showed Lowell & Coburg (I think) as having the absolute best water rating for around here...

Old 08-09-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
About the water: I see online info about arsenic too but a simple water filter, it would seem, would be the answer. The water in Springfield & Eugene comes from the McKenzie River & as far as I know, is among the best.

The website I saw that reported arsenic showed Lowell & Coburg (I think) as having the absolute best water rating for around here...
Does Eugene or Springfield add the Nero toxin fluoride to the water? Also I think sweethome is going to be too far for us to commute regularly. We may look toward the 126. Anyone know if high Speed internet is available out that way?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:11 PM

88 posts, read 181,880 times
Default Just Move

You will never regret a move from AZ to Oregon.
Here is 1 link of many available re: Oregon off grid living.
http://www.livingoffgrid.org/looking-for-rural-land-in-oregon/

Do the google and read all about them.

AZ is ready to implode. Between the horrible 9 month blast furnace weather, the lack of any kind of gainful employment, the lack of education of most residents, the crime that is ALWAYS under reported, the still declining home market, the ouright bias against anyone not albino, the crazy sheriff(s) who like to shot first and ask questions later, the armed and crazed citizenry who like to shoot first and never ask any questions, the embarrassing state goverment, etc etc etc.

Just move already. Don't look back.
Just MOVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area