Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 02:06 PM

428 posts, read 810,032 times

Advertisements

Okay i am all but ready to move to Eugene (need to sell/rent my duplex home first), I want out of the midwest before next winter, i have had it with the midwest/snow/ice. I have researched Eugene extensively, it all looks good. The ONLY reason I am wondering if I need to visit Eugene is to be sure I am not deathly allergic to the rumored intense allergens (grass, mold)-- but if I do not really need to visit Eugene I would prefer to save that travel money ($2000+) and apply it to a move ($5000+). So the question of this posting is do you all think i need to visit Eugene in advance of a move, do I need to first be sure I am not deathly allergic to Eugene, are the allergens of the Eugene area really as bad as some say? Or should I gamble and just decide to move to Eugene without a pre-visit to be sure I will not be horribly allergic to allergens in the area?

I had my blood tested for allergies to the most common allergens. Bottom line is I am negative for most, and very low (1 on a scale of 0-6) for three allergens. These are the ten allergens that make up 95% of the allergens people have allergies and hay fever to, and the grasses listed here are found all over the USA including Oregon but NOT in Minnesota (where I live).

Allergen IU/mL Class Allergic Response
-------------------------------------
Timothy Grass < 0.35 0 Negative
Bermuda Grass < 0.35 0 Negative
Cedar < 0.35 0 Negative
Ragweed < 0.35 0 Negative
Alternaria (Mold) < 0.35 0 Negative
Milk < 0.35 0 Negative
Egg White 0.53 1 Very Low
Wheat 0.44 1 Very Low
Cat < 0.35 0 Negative
Household Mite 0.45 1 Very Low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 02:09 PM

27 posts, read 70,447 times
Why do you thinkg that visiting Eugene will cost you 2000$ ?

Old 02-17-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massanu View Post
Why do you thinkg that visiting Eugene will cost you 2000$ ?
I have added up the costs-- airfare, hotel 7 days, rental car, gas, eating out, cost of a few activities, taxes on all that, airport parking of my car, etc. $2000 is very likely.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:47 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
I have added up the costs-- airfare, hotel 7 days, rental car, gas, eating out, cost of a few activities, taxes on all that, airport parking of my car, etc. $2000 is very likely.
Sounds about right.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
If you do not have allergies, you will have them in a few years. Your resistance wears down. I don't know how to avoid it, other than take goooood care of yourself, have a very healthy diet and exercise and lifestyle.. I had to get out of Eugene because it rained waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much for me. The Willamette Valley in General is tough.. rain, fog.. not much sun as I remember. I preferred east OR...

Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM

899 posts, read 2,942,216 times
The summers are the best, warm,high 80's gets us all complaining wishing it would cool off a bit.
Evenings with little wind , may be a shower, always at state fair week in Salem..It just a nice place to
be in the summer, the winters and fall aren't bad either..
A visit to Eugene just to bum around, talk to people ect would help answer a lot of questions you might
have and get hand on what is going at the time of the year you come..
The fresh fruit in the summer will really clinch the move because its the best..
Good luck with your move

Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM

Thank you. Yeah i think i need a visit, talk to locals in a Wandering Goat coffee shop.
If I were allergic to some of the grasses, I suppose I could go through an allergist and get shots over the course of a three years, desensitize; my preliminary blood tests give me encouragement that I might not be allergic; plus, I grew up as a child in Iowa, southern MN, where there were many grasses and grass pollens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
The summers are the best, warm,high 80's gets us all complaining wishing it would cool off a bit.
Evenings with little wind , may be a shower, always at state fair week in Salem..It just a nice place to
be in the summer, the winters and fall aren't bad either..
A visit to Eugene just to bum around, talk to people ect would help answer a lot of questions you might
have and get hand on what is going at the time of the year you come..
The fresh fruit in the summer will really clinch the move because its the best..
Good luck with your move

Old 02-20-2014, 12:29 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
Eugene is a nice place but yes, you really need to visit first.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Eugene is a nice place but yes, you really need to visit first.
I am thinking I would like to visit Eugene during the peak grass allergy season, to face the beast head on and learn if it has a hold over me or not. That is a great unknown that I am concerned about, as I would not want to move half way across the USA only to find I was incapacitated by grass pollen. I think I read somewhere that mid to late May would be that time???

I am optimistic-- I grew up in central Iowa and also southern Minnesota, plenty of grasses that I frolicked and hunted in; and much of my adult life has been in northern MN with plenty of pine tree pollens, and some molds. Just that I heard about the half million acres of grass seed farmed in the Willamette Valley so all that pollen would not be normal, I need to find out.

Mid May?

Curious-- to anybody-- what percent of Eugenians would you say have serious allergies to grass pollen? And how long does the grass pollen allergy season last-- a few weeks? a few months? I guess one could burrow in and run some industrial grade HEPA filters until those pollens run their course.

Old 02-20-2014, 02:30 PM

6,820 posts, read 9,056,827 times
I found the summer grass burning to be a bigger problem when I lived there from 2006-2008. But I understand that they don't do that anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area