Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:01 PM

428 posts, read 810,453 times

Advertisements

Cougar hot springs was a bust, let down for the most part-- we got there and discovered there had been a recent cave in where the water comes out of the mountain, so the pools of water were filled with muddy brown water and lukewarm at that; then one guy pulled a plug in the bottom of the second pool (that i was in for about five minutes) and pretty much drained it as he wanted to try and get muddy water out of it. But the hike in and out was beautiful. The trip as a whole went pretty good although we both kind of decided Eugene had a bit too large of a '60s Berkley hippy subpopulation for us. So rethinking now where to live; have not eliminated Eugene but my enthusiasm for Eugene has been cooled quite a bit. We really enjoyed Florence and the coast-- sea lions, riding sand dunes buggy, the ocean. Sweet Cheeks winery was incredible-- we went there on a Friday evening and the place was hopping-- every Friday night apparently-- i highly recommend this to anybody reading this!!! Wine tasting, you can bring your own food, sit indoors or out at tables, live music, overlooking the vineyard and valley, met knew people, really really fun and we were total strangers and had never done a wine tasting before. We also toured the King's Winery, 10,000 acres of vineyards, got the tour of their machinery, etc. Also greatly enjoyed The Cornucopia restaurant and the Studio One cafe (except for the flie buzzing around my breakfast plate). Eugene actually started to feel a bit small after a few days as we found we could get almost anywhere in about ten minutes by car. The vacation rental we were in, a townhouse on Oak Patch Road, was awesome-- clean, quiet, amazing bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
King Estates is quite nice, and the SW hills are beautiful. There are several places in town that do wine tasting on Fri/Sat. And if I recall Cornucopia does a beer tasting night?

Salem might be worth a look, as might parts of the Pdx metro, though that's just going off this one post. I don't recall anything you've said prior about what you're interested in as a moving destination.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Good report, but I did try to tell you the hot springs was more of a voyeur destination, than an event.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Good report, but I did try to tell you the hot springs was more of a voyeur destination, than an event.
No point saying I told you so.

I have friends from the east coast who used their Oregon hot springs experience as the gateway to a happy marriage. I assumed the OP was mostly going to enjoy it with a companion, and for that it could have had value as a memory. "Honey, remember that time we went to the hot springs..."

You know, provided it wasn't closed for mud/maintenance when you got there.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
No point saying I told you so.

I have friends from the east coast who used their Oregon hot springs experience as the gateway to a happy marriage. I assumed the OP was mostly going to enjoy it with a companion, and for that it could have had value as a memory. "Honey, remember that time we went to the hot springs..."

You know, provided it wasn't closed for mud/maintenance when you got there.
Could be, but I think Ol' Joe was with some buddies. Which Oregon Hot Springs were your friends at? Not likely it was Cougar.

The temperature at Cougar has been dropping the last decade or so and it's more of a warm bath excuse to get naked these days.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:27 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Mud is soothing to the skin......

Thar are hot springs over on the way to Diamond Lake......

Old 05-08-2014, 11:51 AM

The hot springs up Blue River are popular too. Oregon has no mud baths.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Could be, but I think Ol' Joe was with some buddies. Which Oregon Hot Springs were your friends at? Not likely it was Cougar.

The temperature at Cougar has been dropping the last decade or so and it's more of a warm bath excuse to get naked these days.
Heh, I'd say that's true. I don't recall which one they were at - they've been married 15 years or so and they told me the story right before I'd moved to Oregon, so I didn't have much point of reference at the time.

Since they live in the other Portland, I don't see them much these days to ask.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM

Well there are hot springs all over Oregon, so it's hard to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area