Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 03:25 PM

499 posts, read 1,447,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherwoody View Post
Pickering is from Dallas Oregon.
I was going to point that out also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
I live on the ocean in Florence. The wind blows in the afternoon, it does not rain from May till late Oct. Storms after that till mid March. Warmer here, no snow.

Weather is Spring everyday. NE Spring in Winter. No bugs, no humidity in Summer. Rarely gets above 75. AC not needed.

Lots of retired people, Eugene is 1.25 hrs away.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Yachats might float your boat. It's liberal, artsy, and there is land in the surrounding area available (we were recently checking). There's a few really nice places to eat (I'm a big fan of The Drift Inn) and also a hippy natural grocery and goods store. Visiting Buddhist monks did a beautiful sand mandala at the green salmon coffee shop there.

Depoe Bay is also really nice. And it is further north so you'd be closer to Portland. Manzanita and Nehalem Bay are also among my fav coastal areas, and they are even further north than Depoe Bay.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:27 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puerco View Post
When I read this kind of narrow-minded post I thank God that I grew up in the liberal city of Portland & not in Dallas where tolerance isn't practiced.
Not true. Native Texan Dallasite and can confirm there are very tolerant communities in Texas. My Aunt used to be an openly gay reverend at one of the largest churches in the state. Whole Foods Market was started in the 70's in Texas. Grocery stores in Texas were among the first to offer a nickel back for bringing your own bag. Texas has an awesome indie film and indie music scene - ever heard of South by Southwest? Texas supports the arts in major ways, and they do a helluva better job keeping arts and music in the schools than Oregon does. Do a little reading - and perhaps a visit - to understand Texas a little - and you might be surprised at what you find. Don't judge a state by it's puppets on parade.

Honestly I have experienced more close-mindedness in the PNW. People have such extreme views sometimes here, and they sort of go with this "if you're not with us you're against us" mentality. That is just not productive. Most of the Texans I know and grew up with respect differences of opinion and can still be friends despite not sharing the same view or lifestyle. There's this thing called "compromise" and another things called diplomacy that is very effective at getting sh*t done, which is what Texas is known for. I don't know of any city in Texas that suffers like cities in Oregon suffer in terms of homelessness, education, or issues like crappy streets and old bridges and buildings. Oregon really needs to take a few lessons from Texas and step it up a few notches.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:54 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
Again, the quoted post was referring to Steve Pickering's post (from a year and a half ago) describing Coos Bay, and he himself is either from The Dalles or Dallas (I always thought he was currently living in The Dalles, but the person who posted "redneck" comment said Dallas, which then, for some crazy reason, people are suddenly deciding that Dallas, Texas was meant, even though, you know, it's an Oregon forum and no where, until now, has anyone even mentioned the state of Texas....)

So people, calm down. No one is talking smack about Texas. At least not in this thread.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:05 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Steve Pickering always said he lives in Dallas, Oregon.....

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Dallas+Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area