Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 08:59 AM

102 posts, read 134,146 times

Advertisements

We are going to retire soon and have pretty much settled on S. Oregon. I would really value opinions on which County (Josephine, Douglass or Jackson) would I have the best chance of finding around 5 - 20 acres of good pasture / farm land to build a 3+2 house on? Just looking to be a very small time farmer / gardener LOL.

I know the property taxes are roughly similar in all (below 1%) How about building fees, well / water issues etc?
Any agricultural incentives in these counties on this small a parcel with fruit trees?

Any first hand information I could get would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 09:46 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,621,284 times
Would be best to have the mod move this or start a new thread in the general Oregon forum.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 AM

102 posts, read 134,146 times
OK Thanks

Old 08-25-2016, 11:01 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times
Your best bet is to buy something that has a teardown or a trailer on it so it's already has a "home". Oregon is weird about allowing accessory farm dwellings. You want EFU (exclusive farm use) or Forest deferral land to get the property tax break. Depending on the high or low soil value you have to make I believe between $80 and $50K farming for three out of five years to get a permit to add a house on raw land.

Josephine County is less strict on building permits as opposed to Jackson County from what I hear...no idea on Douglass. Josephine County is a little scary because they don't have enough money for a sheriff's dept. to serve rural areas, and as a result there are some seedy characters hiding out there. My insurance man who used to be a sheriff in the area cautioned me about that, especially out towards Cave Junction.

Make sure to check with any County before you buy to make sure you can do what you want to do, as many realtors aren't knowledgeable of farm land and the restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: