Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 03:00 PM

17 posts, read 19,314 times

Advertisements

Hello

My step son is moving to Eugene for school I saw online they make you pay for bags, I wanted to know is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 04:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Yes. Or bring your own.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:47 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymaid222 View Post
Hello

My step son is moving to Eugene for school I saw online they make you pay for bags, I wanted to know is that true?
It's one of the reasons I shop in Springfield instead of Eugene.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:20 AM

240 posts, read 253,991 times
It appears that retailers charge 5 cents per bag in Eugene. If he has to pinch pennies, then I can see why that could be problematic. Otherwise, it's trivial. Also, no plastic grocery bags within the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's one of the reasons I shop in Springfield instead of Eugene.
The charge per bag in Eugene is only 5 cents each, though. Unless you already live in Springfield, it seems like you would surely spend more just on gas by driving to Springfield than just paying for bags in Eugene.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:08 AM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
This should not be a problem. Your son either learns to use cloth shopping bags, or he takes his groceries out to the car without bags and then places them in boxes or tubs that he keeps in his car.

It is not the retailers, it is a city law about the bags.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
It appears that retailers charge 5 cents per bag in Eugene. If he has to pinch pennies, then I can see why that could be problematic. Otherwise, it's trivial. Also, no plastic grocery bags within the city.

The charge per bag in Eugene is only 5 cents each, though. Unless you already live in Springfield, it seems like you would surely spend more just on gas by driving to Springfield than just paying for bags in Eugene.
I drive over 100 miles to shop there. The difference between 104 miles or 100 miles is not a big deal. If you have a reasonably gas efficient car it shouldn't cost more than 40 cents to drive from most places in Eugene to Springfield and back. So if you are buying more than eight bags of stuff, you should come out ahead driving to Springfield. You can also save more money not having to buy trash bags.

But more important it's the principle of not shopping in a city that encourages businesses to rip off customers, even going so far as to require them to do it.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:38 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Especially in the summer, i bring some ice chests/coolers in my pickup, to at least put refigerator items in them that will stay cold on the drive home.. Sometimes i buy them used at a good price, on Craigslist

Old 07-29-2017, 02:42 PM

679 posts, read 878,486 times
Plastic bags are very disruptive to the environment and are a danger to wildlife. I can think of many more things to get annoyed about than having to use your own bags. I've used my own for years.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
Plastic bags are very disruptive to the environment and are a danger to wildlife. I can think of many more things to get annoyed about than having to use your own bags. I've used my own for years.
And how does that justify Eugene ripping consumers off for 5 cents for paper bags? Also do you use plastic trash bags? I bet you do.

These dumb bag laws have nothing to do with environmentalism. It's just more corporate welfare for large retailers to charge customers for what they traditionally provided for free.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:32 AM

679 posts, read 878,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
And how does that justify Eugene ripping consumers off for 5 cents for paper bags? Also do you use plastic trash bags? I bet you do.

These dumb bag laws have nothing to do with environmentalism. It's just more corporate welfare for large retailers to charge customers for what they traditionally provided for free.
False equivalency. Also, you're wrong. We shall have to agree to disagree. Peace out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area