Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM

36 posts, read 96,839 times

Advertisements

Hello, I currently live in Southern California and probably the end of next year my sister,daughter and I are considering moving to Eugene because I need to get out of this socal lifestyle. I need a change badly and my step dad lives in Eugene and he loves it. I was looking on city-data and one of the stats shows that there are I believe 1.3% african americans in Eugene. I honestly don't care about people's race, I am black and my daughter's father is white. My younger sis is mixed as well (Iranian and Black) My question is how are things in Eugene as far as race goes? I just hope that people there are mellow and that its not a issue. I know there is ignorance in each state.

Rhonda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM

LOL I guess I got my answer with the 0 responses and 18 views. Thanks everyone for contributing.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:09 AM

700 posts, read 2,595,781 times
Rhonda...

The people in Eugene are not as into this forum, or as fast as others in other cities, dont hold that against them. I lived in Eugene for quite a while as a youth , and my folks still do, so I will give you my opinion.

Eugene is very open to people of all walks of life. Though ethnically it may not be diverse as far as a number on a chart ,but I dont think day to day it is really an issue. Very laid back people flock to Eugene along side with very educated, very socially conscience, very green (for lack of better word) very accepting of ones sexual orientation. Its basically a small college town from a blue collar background that now has some high tech and trying to grow up a bit.

With that comes some growing pains as would any city. The right doesnt understand the left and the left feels sorry for the right. This drama can be played out in many cities.
As far as the race issue....my thoughts is that you will not feel a negetive vibe in your day to day life. Will there be ignorant people...yes of course, but that could be in the city you are leaving too. Go up for a visit and have a look around, I would recommend that if Eugene feels a little small or backwards....just keep heading up the coast to Portland or Seattle (assuming weather is not high on your lists of concerns...though I love PNW weather) these cities are like big Eugenes as far as "live and let live" as a motto. Most these cities dont look diverse on paper, but its not always something that can be quantified so simply. If you are looking for a sterotypical black cultural experience (insert your own assumptions)like I would equate to the South or heavly populated Southern cities like Atlanta or Charleston etc, maybe this would be a stretch. If you are looking for any type of urban experience like New York (my hometown) then Eugene would not work. Again these are merely the opinions of one person, and I happen to live in Japan now....where Im beyond a minority...

Good Luck

Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM

Thank you 5 for you opinion and taking the time to reply. From what you wrote Eugene sounds like I would fit in ok. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get stared down while I'm out shopping or anything like that. I like living where there is a mixture of all races. I live in a quiet area in LA that is all black people but they are middle class with nice big houses. So I don't have to worry about noise and my neighbors acting up. I lived in the South when I was younger and I don't ever plan on moving there again. But I will visit Eugene next year so I can see for myself.

Thank you again.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:59 AM

6 posts, read 32,136 times
Hi Rhonda,

I live in Eugene, and this is my first post here. I was actually looking at some information about Miami, as I've friends there, and I was thinking of visiting, and this site came.

So 5Chevin5 answered the question fairly well. Eugene is a far cry from LA. From the racial diversity to the size of the city. As for race goes. Traditionally, the Pacific Northwest is of caucasian race. This isn't because the area is ignorant, or racist, discriminate, etc...it's just be predominately white, with a surprising touch of Asian culture to the community for a long time.
Eugene is a very open place. For people of all walks of life. The University of Oregon campus is here in Eugene, which brings a large number of cultural diversity if that's what you're looking for.
While you'll find racist in Eugene, you'll find them anywhere. It's something that won't ever be avoided anywhere you go. That being said, with the lack of racial diversity, again, Eugene is a very open place. African-American's aren't stared down, and I know what you mean by that.

People are simply accepted here. Whether your rich or poor, black, white, hispanic, etc. The Eugene...Oregon school system isn't the richest in the country, but parents and the community still feel and believe it's a top priority. Education, politics, and the environment are huge in Eugene.

It's also known as Track Town, U.S.A. As you might know, the Track and Field Olympic trials were just held here. Eugene has a rich history of track and field, more than any other place in the world. With that comes track and field lovers. Eugene is a runners paradise, and a recreational hub. From snowboarding, skiing on a number of local passes and mountains. To wake boarding, and water skiing, canoeing, kayaking, rowing, white water rafting, swimming, and fishing on many of the lakes and rivers the Eugene, Oregon area holds. Hiking, biking are huge in this area. As well as some hunting and camping.
Just 45 miles to the west is the Oregon coast.

Eugene has just 150,000 people. So it's a lot smaller than LA. If it's too small for you, to the north is Portland & Seattle, the largest cities in the Northwest. They'll bring what Eugene does, but in much greater numbers.

To the point. Eugene might lack diversity such as LA, San Diego, etc...but this area is accepting of all people from all walks of life.
I hope when you visit, your stay is enjoyable. If you want to know some more specifics about anything, just ask, I'll try and answer. Good Luck Rhonda.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:01 AM

Wow thank you Cameron. That helped me a lot as well.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
I have to agree with the other two posters... Rhonda I think you'd be very happy in Eugene. We are a mixed-race family and we've had a wonderful experience here. We have two boys and they love their schools. It's a very affordable community - as far as living on the west coast goes - and there's tons for families to do. We have access to lots of amazing organic locally grown foods, lots of nature to explore, the community recreation centers are great... I could go on forever. We love this town, really, and people really do seem to carry with them a "live and let live" attitude. Eugene is a very liberal town, so there are all types here and diversity is welcomed and nurtured. Another thing I really appreciate about Eugene is how the community is so mixed as far as income levels. Whether it's neighborhood streets or swim classes or in the kids classrooms... there's all different income levels represented. Eugene seems to work hard to ensure that no matter what your income, your kids can have the same education and the same opportunities and the same amount of fun as the kids who are born into more affluent families - or at least they try to provide those same opportunities. It's a great place to raise kids.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I have to agree with the other two posters... Rhonda I think you'd be very happy in Eugene. We are a mixed-race family and we've had a wonderful experience here. We have two boys and they love their schools. It's a very affordable community - as far as living on the west coast goes - and there's tons for families to do. We have access to lots of amazing organic locally grown foods, lots of nature to explore, the community recreation centers are great... I could go on forever. We love this town, really, and people really do seem to carry with them a "live and let live" attitude. Eugene is a very liberal town, so there are all types here and diversity is welcomed and nurtured. Another thing I really appreciate about Eugene is how the community is so mixed as far as income levels. Whether it's neighborhood streets or swim classes or in the kids classrooms... there's all different income levels represented. Eugene seems to work hard to ensure that no matter what your income, your kids can have the same education and the same opportunities and the same amount of fun as the kids who are born into more affluent families - or at least they try to provide those same opportunities. It's a great place to raise kids.

Thank you for your response. What you said at the end helped me in my decision at letting my daughter go to public school when she starts. I was going to have her home schooled.I'm excited and I can't wait until next year because I'm kissing LA goodbye. I loved it while it lasted now its time for some place new.
Thanks Again.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda562 View Post
Thank you for your response. What you said at the end helped me in my decision at letting my daughter go to public school when she starts. I was going to have her home schooled.I'm excited and I can't wait until next year because I'm kissing LA goodbye. I loved it while it lasted now its time for some place new.
Thanks Again.
We homeschooled our boys when we lived in Texas. The school environment where we lived there (in Dallas, TX) was very different than the feeling that the schools have here in Eugene. There was so much pressure to fit in, wear certain kinds of clothes, be popular, be good in sports, etc. Things are much more relaxed in Eugene. People are more focused on what's real, and what really matters - learning, compassion, acceptance, tolerance, diversity, the environment, and so on.

We absolutely love the schools where our children attend. Our oldest son is in middle school and our youngest one attends an awesome elementary school. Both schools are traditional public schools. The teachers and staff are great and the kids are for the most part just a really amazing group of people. Eugene schools benefit from the University of Oregon educational programs as well an amazing number of volunteers - parents and just people from the community who care about kids and want to support the schools. When you are checking out schools be sure to inquire about the volunteer work that goes on. Good schools will always not only welcome volunteers but also show how proud they are of how hard their volunteers have worked to make their school wonderful. Good schools ill also require that all volunteers pass a background security check as well, and wear name badges while on the school grounds.

Eugene also has alternative options for parents and children as well: charter schools, language-immersion schools (Japanese, French, Spanish), Montessori schools, and also private schools. Many of the private schools offer scholarships based on income, and not all the private schools are religion-based. If you are planning on being here by next school year, and you think you might want your kids to attend a charter, alternative, or private school, you might want to contact the schools this Fall and ask about their application and enrollment process. For example, the 2009-2010 school year applications might need to be turned in to the desired school by Feb 2009... so it's good to get a heads up and do your homework ahead of time.

The public schools are great, though, and Eugene has "open choice" which means that as long as you live within the city of Eugene, you can choose which school your child attends. If there is a space issue (if the school you choose is too crowded), there is a lottery and then a waiting list. Your child would then attend his or her neighborhood school until there was space available at the preferred school.

I hope I'm explaining this OK!

Good luck with everything!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 AM

Thank you Haggard you explained it perfectly. You answered a lot of questions that I had on my mind. I'm glad Eugene has alternative options because I might still have her in a charter or private school.
But thank you so much for the information I saved it as a note on my computer to look up later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area