Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry this happened j4j... when i read your post I was thinking along the same lines as steve miller. Bad credit can really hurt you. Even then, though, $700 sounds extreme to me. Wow! My husband has had a bankruptcy in his past (before we were married) and even with that we've never had to pay a deposit. We have had to get our previous utility companies to send letters to our new utility company showing that we always paid on-time.

Also, a friend of mine and her husband did have to pay a deposit but she said EWEB broke it up into several payments for them and they were able to pay it out like that over the first few months.

You're so fortunate that you had family to help you, and that's so sweet of tiff to offer her help, too! How frustrating this was for you though. I'd definitely write a well-crafted letter. Maybe have somebody proof-read it for you to make sure it doesn't come off the wrong way though.

What is Pacific Power? I had no idea we had another choice for utilities? We use EWEB. We've never had a problem, but it does seem like our bill keeps going up and up and up regardless of what we do at home to try to bring our energy-use down.

And while we're on the subject of utilities/energy - we're in an apartment. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any products that apartment renters can use to help with lowering energy use and cost? I feel like being in an apartment already helps you a little, since it requires less to heat and cool an apartment than it would to heat and cool a large home. But I feel like there's still more that we could do. I seal up cracks and put stuffing around doors and windows to keep cold air out (during the winter). We are careful with how much water we use. It would be so cool if there was something like a solar-powered air conditioning window unit to use during the summer! (Our apartment doesn't have a/c so we just use oscillating fans or run to the coast when it gets unbearable! )

Good luck with everything jiffin... I hope things get better for you, and soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:48 AM

246 posts, read 1,073,252 times
Thanks HHE!!! I appreciate it. Yeah, we've never had a problem either until now and they refused to break it up into payments for some reason. I really think the person we got stuck dealing with had a bug up their rear or something because every option we had open to us he found some stupid reason why he couldn't accept it. None of it made any sense whatsoever and I definitely am working on a complaint. We've always paid on time even when we were going through rough times and only had the one isolated incident with a check. Getting things straightened out here is becoming a huge nightmare. Oh well...moving on I suppose. I know it'll get better soon and things will get back to normal.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,633 times
Pacific Power is what we use....You can always give em a holler and see if they do your area too. Check em out on the web. I know they have a website. pacificpower.net
Jiff, i hope you have that persons name. What a bugger!!!
YES, things WILL get better! Im sure of it. You'll find lots of friendly wonderful people there in Eugene, and plenty of those who are willing and wanting to be of help. just hang on.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:05 AM

I've become pretty good friends with our next door neighbor and her granddaughters who live with her are very close with me and my kids as well. We've gotten to know each other pretty well and that's awesome. I've looked for alternatives to EWEB and I don't think there are any but I'm going to check out pacific power's website now too.

God will pull us out like he always does. Autumn needs to be back in gymnastics! LOL!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,633 times
Im tellin ya...NAAG!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:09 AM

Yes, that's where we're going to go. Just waiting for that refund on our deposit from the old house! Wish it'd hurry!!!

I think we're pretty much stuck with EWEB regardless because they provide water as well. Darn it! LOL!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
Default Eweb moffia

I had to pay a 500.00 deposit that was said to be refunded after 1 years service of good pmt history! well they refunded alright!! in the form of electricity* thats right it was taken off the next two bills...
they would'nt except anything but cash from us, and yes it also put a further financial hardship on my family too.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 18,592 times
Yea, I had to go through the same thing. It may not be your credit either, depending on where you are living you may be being punished from the last tenant or the usage. That was the case for me, the former tenant in the place I rented had extremely high usage, paid the bill on time every month but high usage non-the-less, what the has to do with new tenants is beyond me. I am still trying to figure out EWEB the high costs and practices....that will never be known.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:03 PM

231 posts, read 778,665 times
I started with EWEB in Sept 08 and they required me to pay a deposit of $390 (I have perfect credit with a high credit score). When I moved in Mar 09, I took the opportunity to ask them for the deposit back, since I believed I had proven my credit worthiness with 6 months of on-time payments. They agreed and credited it to my account.

I don't think any god helped me though. It's just the system that EWEB follows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: