Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:34 AM

110 posts, read 310,558 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what everyone on here likes the best about Eugene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,333,832 times
I would like to spend more time there. I've been through Eugene several times starting back around 1996 when we first started visiting Oregon and wanting to live here.

I've been in Portland now for 2 years and 2 months and we do enjoy Portland and could happily stay here, but we are thinking of moving further South in the state and possibly closer to the coast.

Eugene seems really cool; I just don't know much about it. I like the vibe I get when I am there.

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times
The surrounding natural beauty. Just over an hour from the beach or skiing. Decent restaurants and food stores. Springfield, Eugene, and combined areas have over a quarter million people yet little traffic. The U of O has great sports activities for entertainment.

On the flipside, the economy sucks big time. Jobs are hard to come by.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:30 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
The Hult Center.

Home Page | Hult Center

Old 03-19-2012, 08:31 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Living in an apartment on a golf course and watching the rain keep it green. Riding my bike around the upper-middle class neighborhood that surrounds the golf course. Anyone care to guess where I lived?
Hint: the mall was just five minutes away.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
There are a lot of things I love about Eugene... but I think the thing I love BEST is the la-dee-da "to each their own" casual attitude of most of the people here. There's very little pretentiousness here. It's really refreshing after having lived in other areas where the opposite was the norm.

I LOVE being able to wear jeans and sweaters all year (just about) to any event or restaurant and have it be totally OK. You never have to get dressed up for anything, and I don't feel like an outcast for not liking to wear makeup - a lot of women here don't! There's a natural beauty that permeates the culture of people here. No pretentiousness. Yep, that's what I love most.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,674,951 times
House Elf, a lot of people find makeup to be a turn-off. One of the most beautiful women I know put on makeup for a concert (she is an accomplished pianist) and commented after the show that she felt like a transvestite. When I was younger, I avoided dating women who wore a lot of makeup. Why would you want to be close to someone who looks like she got hit in the face with a bucket of paint?

Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
House Elf, a lot of people find makeup to be a turn-off. One of the most beautiful women I know put on makeup for a concert (she is an accomplished pianist) and commented after the show that she felt like a transvestite. When I was younger, I avoided dating women who wore a lot of makeup. Why would you want to be close to someone who looks like she got hit in the face with a bucket of paint?
My husband feels the same way. He tells me all the time how he loves that he wakes up every morning to the same face he went to sleep with.

But we've gone off-topic...

Wouldn't you agree though, Larry, that Eugene is a very "Live and let Live" kind of place? (So long as you're a law abiding sort of citizen? ) People care less about appearances here, it's more about the substance.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,739,463 times
Concur. Eugene is like Eureka/Arcata at 3 X the size. I'd live there except it's colder than here.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Concur. Eugene is like Eureka/Arcata at 3 X the size. I'd live there except it's colder than here.
Colder in the winter, but warmer in the summer. And no psunami threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area